I hear yall talking about agave nectar but I need details. How are you using it?

CurlsBazillion

I hear about agave nectar a lot around here but I'm trying to figure out how it's being used in hair. I think its a humectant but can it be used the same way I would use glycerin? Are you adding it to your DC? How is it compared to glycerin and is that even a good comparison? I bought some but not sure what to do with it.

I'm reluctant to use it because in my mind it would attract bugs since its a nectar, is that silly?:lol: So Please let me know how you use your agave nectar and if bugs are an issue.

Last edited:

IrrationalThoughts

Re: I here yall talking about agave nectar but I need details. How are you using it?

I would venture to think folks are using it like honey or glycerine?

MsChelle

It is a humectant. Shea Moisture Curling Soufflé is an example of a product that has a high agave nectar content.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Enso Naturals also had an Sweet Agave Nectar Hair Spritz.

I just purchased a bottle and will be following Nix08 and Shay72 Regimen of adding a Tablespoon to my DC'ers.

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
Re: I here yall talking about agave nectar but I need details. How are you using it?

I would venture to think folks are using it like honey or glycerine?

:yep:.

Agave Nectar is a humectant, like glycerin, honey, and honey quat.

The sugars in these products makes them hydroscopic or water attractors; consequently, they get water from the atmosphere or in dryer conditions, from the hair itself so some folk check the dew points in certain climates before using products with humectants to ensure they won't unintentionally dry out their hair. Incidently, I learned this the hard way while vacationing in Southern California. I'm from the Pacific Northwest where the cool temps and humidity STAY GETTIN' IT IN :lachen:! I though I could use my glycerin laden products for my twist outs in Los Angeles.

:perplexed.

My hair was a dry, crunchy mess!

I like agave nectar better than honey in my DCs because for some reason, it seems to impart a smoothness to the hair that I feel honey does not. Not sure why this is true, but for me, it is.

But my all time favorite humectant for leave-in concoctions will forever be glycerin :lick:! Well, as long as I home :rolleyes:.

HTH!

jessicarabbit

personally id use it the same way i use honey (since its the same consistency, same properties etc)
put it in my DC's for added moisture and shine.
It seems to sticky to not rinse out.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I've added it to my moisture dc's and moisture cowashers. I :love: it. My hair is soft, smooth, and lays down a bit better. Also more defined.