I have some underprocessed sections in the middle of my hair

cocoagirl

due to Elasta lye perming job that I did myself. Can I use a no-lye perm to go over the middle section of my head to straighten? I thought I remember reading somewhere that no lye cannot straigthen hair that has already been processed with lye? Am I mistaken? I went to the hairdresser today to get a relaxer, and she offered to run the relaxer through (new growth, already straight hair, fuzzy hair, straight har)- this is how my hair is starting from the root.) but I was scared about overlapping the already relaxed section (between my new growth and the fuzzy hair) that was already straight, so I just had her do the new growth.
So my question is can I just buy some relaxer and "spot relax" the middle section myself?

You can do a little "spot treatment" by yourself. I would recommend putting conditioner or grease on the already straight parts so if you overlap the grease would act as a barrier. I would also test a small section and run a stop clock so you can get an accurate time measure. Remember you are not leaving the relaxer on for the same amount of time you do when you are touching up the new-growth. You are sort of "picking up" where you left off.
HOWEVER, I don't know about the lye/no-lye overlapping problem.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
due to Elasta lye perming job that I did myself. Can I use a no-lye perm to go over the middle section of my head to straighten? I thought I remember reading somewhere that no lye cannot straigthen hair that has already been processed with lye? Am I mistaken? I went to the hairdresser today to get a relaxer, and she offered to run the relaxer through (new growth, already straight hair, fuzzy hair, straight har)- this is how my hair is starting from the root.) but I was scared about overlapping the already relaxed section (between my new growth and the fuzzy hair) that was already straight, so I just had her do the new growth.
So my question is can I just buy some relaxer and "spot relax" the middle section myself?

Actually, it's the reverse. Lye can't be used to straighten hair already processed with no-lye.
My personal advice: If you go over it again, use lye, not no-lye.

cocoagirl

@intergal...thanks girl, yeah I will prob wait like 3-4 weeks before I attempt that, but I'm sure I can do it myself since it is just a small section. I will probably part my hair in 4 sections and do a section at a time so as to not be overwhelmed!
@Supergirl, why do you think I should use lye? Because I used lye to jack it up in the first place? thx

cocoagirl

bumping,
I would like to do this spot relaxing next week..does anyone else have any additional tips? Any more suggs on if I should use lye or no lye relaxer for this?

cocoagirl

Ladies, still looking for advice on this issue. I tried to correct the section of my hair that was underprocessed, again using Elasta lye) and it did nothing. So now I am 13 weeks post (whole head relaxer not the failed spot correction) and wondering what to do to correct this patch of hair that is still underprocessed? Right now it is too far down to have my stylist correct it at my next touchup ( by running the relaxer through the entire lenght) so, what can I do?

Neith

Actually, it's the reverse. Lye can't be used to straighten hair already processed with no-lye.
My personal advice: If you go over it again, use lye, not no-lye.

Why is that supergirl? Never heard of that before.

Half of my hair is processed with lye, then no lye. I used a mild lye relaxer for 10 mins which didn't do much to loosen my texture, then I went over it with a super strength no lye. However, my hair isn't "normal" it's very coarse and can take a lot of chemical abuse.

Cocoagirl... is your hair strong/resistant? Do the sections seem healthy? Did the elasta work well for the rest of your hair?

foxieroxienyc

Girl it sounds like you need to leave this in the hands of a professional. Start doing some research if you don't feel comfortable with your stylist doing it. You're in NY and there are some really good stylists out there. Get a corrective, invest in it because it's your hair(and you want to keep it on your head). You want to be safe than sorry.

Neith

Girl it sounds like you need to leave this in the hands of a professional. Start doing some research if you don't feel comfortable with your stylist doing it. You're in NY and there are some really good stylists out there. Get a corrective, invest in it because it's your hair(and you want to keep it on your head). You want to be safe than sorry.

True. If you can find a very good, trustworthy stylist, that would be a great option too! :yep:

cocoagirl

Cocoagirl... is your hair strong/resistant? Do the sections seem healthy? Did the elasta work well for the rest of your hair?

No my hair isn't really resistant, I don't think. The elasta didn't really do ish for my hair and I will never use it again. It is what I used to do the corrective but it did not work.

@foxiroxienyc..What will the stylist do during a corrective because I don't want hair that has already been processed to be reprocessed in a stylists attempt to 'correct'. Do they just put relaxer on the section that needs it? Can you or anyone else recommend a stylist in NYC that they trust that can do this for me as I have been going to dominicans lately and not sure if I would trust her as I've only been 2x.?