Lye after No Lye?

frochoice

I know there have been several threads about lye vs no lye relaxers but none have addressed my particular question. I am sort of texlaxed (by accident) after a virgin no lye relaxer left me very underprocessed. This was my first experience with a no lye and have to say that I hate the way my hair looks dull, and feels dry and brittle. I am about 3-4 months out post-laxer. Now I would like to switch back to a lye relaxer but I want my hair straight (as was the original plan). Many of you have said that you can easily switch to lye relaxers on the new growth but can it be applied to the hair that's "texlaxed" from before?

Usually we avoid processing already processed hair, focusing on new growth only, but what happens when the previously processed hair is not straight but curly?

If the answer is "no" to reprocessing what else can I do with my hair (besides -gasp- a BC:wallbash:)?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I know there have been several threads about lye vs no lye relaxers but none have addressed my particular question. I am sort of texlaxed (by accident) after a virgin no lye relaxer left me very underprocessed. This was my first experience with a no lye and have to say that I hate the way my hair looks dull, and feels dry and brittle. I am about 3-4 months out post-laxer. Now I would like to switch back to a lye relaxer but I want my hair straight (as was the original plan). Many of you have said that you can easily switch to lye relaxers on the new growth but can it be applied to the hair that's "texlaxed" from before?

Usually we avoid processing already processed hair, focusing on new growth only, but what happens when the previously processed hair is not straight but curly?

If the answer is "no" to reprocessing what else can I do with my hair (besides -gasp- a BC:wallbash:)?

I have Read it is perfectly "Safe" to Go from No-Lye to Lye and Also that it is perfectly safe to Take the Lye Relaxer completely to the ends of a No-Lye Relaxer.:yep: (The First time when you switch from the No-Lye to Lye)

I read here on the Threads and also in Several Books on Black Hair Care.:yep:

beana

It'll be fine. In fact, it is advised to go over the no lye hair a bit with the lye, when people switch.

frochoice

Thanks. I was just concerned because a hair dresser recently told me that there would be definite breakage to switch.

frochoice

Thanks ladies. I got a corrective relaxer with mizani mild today. I was amazed that my hair was instantly shiny, straight and healthy looking after being washed/neutralized. I really appreciated how dry and frizzy my hair was from the no-lye. I lost about 1-2 inches from all the broken ends/damage. I don't want to speak prematurely in case there's some breakage to come (in which case I'll be sure to update you). But for now it looks promising.

Thanks for all the advice. How do I look?

Attachments

• Evolution backshot.jpg
    Evolution backshot.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 10