I have been wearing braids for 5 yrs and now want to texlax, what should I do first

kjones

I am new to LHCF and looking for some help. I have had braids in for about 5yrs and about a wk and a half ago, I took my braids out, wash & condition and have been using S-Curl to moisturize & Coconut oil. I'm about shoulder length stretched. I'm in between 4b/c

It took me a LOOONG time to blow dry and flat iron my hair because it was so intense. I have decided to texlax. What should I do first? Should I do a protein treatment before or after I tex lax? Also, do I need to detangle my hair before i put in the texlax? I want to be able to manage my hair and not spend all my time detangling.

Any other advice would be appreciated, as I am starting out my hair journey brand new..

Mystic

Re: I have been wearing braids for 5 yrs and now want to texlax, what should I do fir

Since you have been in braids for so long and only recently took the braids out for a wk and a half, I would wait at least a month before doing the texlax. During this month I would DC and use the month to prepare the hair for the chemical relaxer. I would also find a stylist to texlax it for you so you minimise the risk of any damage on your virgin hair.

I would love to see what your hair look like after wearing braids for 5 yrs - wow!

Ladybelle

Re: I have been wearing braids for 5 yrs and now want to texlax, what should I do fir

Since you have been in braids for so long and only recently took the braids out for a wk and a half, I would wait at least a month before doing the texlax. During this month I would DC and use the month to prepare the hair for the chemical relaxer. I would also find a stylist to texlax it for you so you minimise the risk of any damage on your virgin hair.

I would love to see what your hair look like after wearing braids for 5 yrs - wow!

cosigning with this, add a couple of protein treatments to the mix.

southerncitygirl

komaza care makes a great protein treatment that would be considered hardcore, i think aubrey organics gbp condish would be great for you as well, it has protein and moisture you can use it often and not worry about suffering a setback.

kjones

Thanks for the great advice ladies, even though I think i'm treating my hair right, I'm having lots of breakage so, I decided i"m going to deep condition plus protein treatments and co-wash for at least a month and see how it goes, then thinking of using the just for me kiddie texture softner. Will check back in.

locabouthair

I agree with this.

sheba1

Thanks for the great advice ladies, even though I think i'm treating my hair right, I'm having lots of breakage so, I decided i"m going to deep condition plus protein treatments and co-wash for at least a month and see how it goes, then thinking of using the just for me kiddie texture softner. Will check back in.

Hey there, welcome! It's great to have you. Just wanted to drop a reminder to not be fooled. Those kiddie perms are still regular perms. If you're not absolutely sold on it, yet, I'd take a look at the many other options for texlaxing that you have; i.e. adding oils or silk amino acids to a lye relaxer, phyto I and there are many others, I'm sure if you check out the texlax support threads. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=131009

Good luck to you on your healthy hair care journey :wave: