I have another question for naturals...

blueabyss333

Is there anyone who presses their hair once a week without terrible heat damage? I would rather press than relax, and I don't even like washing once a week, but I'm willing to sacrifice if going natural and pressing once a week will be okay.

CAPlush

Generally you can't press your hair often without some collateral heat damage. The damage would be much less than the damage caused by a relaxer, and you would use a conditioner that included protein so your hair wouldn't weaken and break from the heat.

It has been a very freeing styling option for me. I can no longer where most natural styles, but I still have a decent pony puff. But I would suggest you try to go two weeks or more between presses.

blueabyss333

EEEK! Two weeks? ::sigh:: I guess, if it will be for the betterment of my growth process. It's just that I'm a little bit past what I usually grow my hair to and now I'm super anxious about growing MORE! But first I want my hair to be super healthy!!!!

ETA: What do others think?

blueabyss333

...bumping

Are there any naturals out there who wear their hair straight on a regular basis? I would be interested in looking at your albums. If you press often, does that change the texture of your hair?

CarefreeinChicago

i am natural and i maxiglide my hair once a week my hair is growing and when i wash it the ends are straight but i keep trimming it to minimize heat damage

hairspan

I AM A NATURAL BUT I ONLY WEAR MY HAIR STRAIGHT DURING THE WINTER & I GET IT STRAIGHTENED EVERY 2 WEEKS AT LEAST BUT NOT SOONER & MY HAIR TEXTURE HAS NOT CHANGED. I'VE BEEN NATURAL ALL MY LIFE

I can't answer this because during the summer i pressed my hair twice a month and never washed the press out until god knows when and my hair texture has changed a little and I still do see some damage to my ends....So now I'm trying my very best to stay away from heat...

blueabyss333

Wow Kinchen! Look at your progress, great job :grin: . It's official, if this pressing thing works out, I might start transitioning. Never thought I'd say that. We'll try a month long "test transition" first.