I don't see how S-Curl is all that moisturizing

YankeeCandle

I read that whole big thread in praise of S-Curl No Drip by Luster and bought some.

I lightly dampened my dry naked hair and added some S-Curl, worked it in, and let dry.

Here's how it looked:

It gave decent curl definition--not great, though, but i never expected any--but where does the moisture part come in? It feels dry as a bone? I thought moisturizers were supposed to feel...moist.

Maybe because it's winter and there's glycerin in it?

Ediese

I've used it in the past and it wasn't greasy, and felt very soft and moisturized. The last few times I've used it I've had a totally different experience. I'm thinking it has something to do with another product that I used with it.

Butterfly08

It works ok for me, especially when I'm stretching, but it's not a necessity. I get better moisture by cowashing frequently and leaving in a conditioner.

exoticmommie

I tried it and it did nothing for my hair, matter of fact it made it drier. They say it depends on your weather. The weather here is very dry year round. So for me it had an opposite effect then say, if I were back home in Miami.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Yeah it does depend on the weather. When I was living in DC, in winter anything with glycerin was just a sticky mess. Now i'm back in the tropics its all good.

YankeeCandle

Hmm, okay, thanks for the tips, ladies.

I will pull it out in July, when the humidity factor will be (unfortunately) high.

Can I ask what you all use to moisturize in the winter (if/when you lived in a cooler climate) instead?

yardyspice

ITA, I see people recommending S-curl and other glycerin heavy moisturizers but they make my hair feel dry and tangly.

BlkOnyx488

I was using it over the summer
but I had to stop using it this winter. I switched to a EVOO
of course I couldn't resist mixing a few things and I mixed coconut oil, shea butter and jojoba all together. I noticed my hair will stay moist for a few days now

LABETT

My hair hates S-curl and left it hard and dry as a dessert.:nono:
I love Sta-So-Fro puts S-Curl to shame. :yep:

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
It's never worked for me and the smell is atrocious. I prefer flowery and fruity smells and that was just horrible.

Skiggle

It's never worked for me and the smell is atrocious. I prefer flowery and fruity smells and that was just horrible.
I agree with the bold! I hate the smell
but it works well for my hair. No problems with it.

cocomadmoiselle

I LOVE this stuff...in the winter I seal with castor oil and my hair stays moist for days. I have noticed however that when I apply to my wet hair and air dry it gets very dry. I air dry my hair THEN apply S-curl and I don't have this problem anymore.

chasturner84

S-Curl is a staple for me. My hair absolutely loves it. It is a must have while I'm stretching no matter what the weather is like.

God's Anointed

I must say that i used to use S-curl with African Pride braid spray in my hair and my hair was really moisturized when i did that. Hmm, maybe i should revisit that again for the winter. It also helps me stretch my relaxers

YankeeCandle

Thanks for all your testimonies!

My hair rejected it.

Ha, love your bluntness.

"Atrocious" is the word!

im with you there op, i dont see where it moisturizes either. my hair just drinks it right up and burps and asks for more.

LOL, :lachen:, my hair is more polite than yours--no burp. Just crunchy dryness.

I LOVE this stuff...in the winter I seal with castor oil and my hair stays moist for days. I have noticed however that when I apply to my wet hair and air dry it gets very dry. I air dry my hair THEN apply S-curl and I don't have this problem anymore.

Now, this is interesting. I had been applying to dampened hair because I've always been taught to moisturize both hair and body when they are damp, to seal in the water.

I wonder if your success is because of what people here are always saying in terms of glycerin and the moisture balance of the air. If your hair starts OUT dry, then it makes sense that the air (even in the drier winter cold climates) will naturally have a touch more moisture than your hair. I'm going to try it this way and let you all know how it goes!

Nonie

I read that whole big thread in praise of S-Curl No Drip by Luster and bought some.

I lightly dampened my dry naked hair and added some S-Curl, worked it in, and let dry.

Here's how it looked:

It gave decent curl definition--not great, though, but i never expected any--but where does the moisture part come in? It feels dry as a bone? I thought moisturizers were supposed to feel...moist.

If you've read my posts, that's exactly what I said would happen. When I apply it to damp hair, it dries up hard. That's why you THEN apply it your dry hair in the evening and baggy for the night. In the AM, it'll feel damp. But this time after you style your hair, it'll dry without getting crispy and you'll have the definition and it won't dry again. You won't have to reapply at night. You'll just need to baggy for the night. And your hair will continue to feel moisturize, moist without being sticky, and just basically a joy to behold and touch.

S Curl and water dries hard. A second application to the now dry hair gives soft nice curls. So I don't let the first application discourage me. ;)

ETA: And if you're wondering why it moisturizes, it's because it's full of water. ;)

Last edited:

Nonie

I agree with the bold! I hate the smell
but it works well for my hair. No problems with it.

Skiggle, if you hate the smell, try Hawaiian Silky Miracle Worker 14-in-1. It works for me as well as S Curl and has a smell that my friend says reminds her of strawberries.

remnant

Here's how it looked:

have you seal moist in your hair with oil?

Sonye93

That's the same way I feel with the Wave Nouveau Moisturizer. My hair loved S-Curl in the summer. IDK about now though, I haven't tried it since summer =/

lolascurls

I think it's the cones in it. I've been using no-cone products for a while and my hair is thriving, then I used the S-curl: dry as a bone! So I gave it away - after 2 sprays only!
Enough said!

gimbap

This was my staple in the summer when I BCed. It left my wash n go's soft and defined. Now...ehhh not so much. Maybe it is because of the weather. I'm gonna try it again this summer.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I've been getting through my stretch with Hawaiian Silky 14 n 1. The ingredients are great, too. My NG stays moisturized all day long, even though I bun and workout. S-Curl did nothing for me but leave my hair dry, sticky and brittle. I'm loving HS14n1!!! :clapping: