I am so upset I could cry!!! Please help

TiZi

Is the side with the most breakage the one that you begin wrapping on? Most people like to wrap in the same direction all the time, which leads to more combing on one side of your head than another, which can potentially lead to breakage for some. I'm so sorry this happened to you. If you think wrapping is the cause of the breakage I suggest only wrapping your hair when it's freshly pressed or you don't have a lot of new growth. When you are dealing with a lot of new growith it's best to just braid, twist, or bun your hair up so you aren't combing excessively. Good thing you caught it before any more breakage could occur.

P.S. When you pressed your hair for easter, did you use a heat protectant? If so, when you washed your hair directly after did you use a sulfate shampoo? I had to deal with excessive dryness and slight breakage in November of last year because I flat ironed my hair using a heat protectant, but when it came time to wash I didn't use a sulfate shampoo because I'd given up sulfates. But the -cones in the heat protectant were blocking the essential moisture and protein from penetrating my hair shaft that were in my treatments, so it was like I was doing nothing at all to my hair.

I did use a heat protectant back at easter:sad:

TiZi

Do you use any growth aids?
This would be the time to use one if you dont so that the short side can catch up to the long side

I have used MN and lenzies request before...Im getting my hair in tree braids on sunday so I think this is what I will do

TiZi

Thank you all so much for your help...

While my hair is in braids I am just going to really baby it and also learn new bun styles also.

The only thing that makes me think that it is breakage instead of uneven growth is this is the first time this has ever happened to me... I will keep everyone posted

Thanks so much you all are the best!!!!!

mariofmagdal

Sorry, I can't blame it on the bun. I wear a bun daily, and have done so for many moons. I do not have your problem. I don't change the direction of my bun. I wear a loose bun and take it down nightly for baggying.

PrissyMiss

Thank you all so much for your help...

While my hair is in braids I am just going to really baby it and also learn new bun styles also.

The only thing that makes me think that it is breakage instead of uneven growth is this is the first time this has ever happened to me... I will keep everyone posted

Thanks so much you all are the best!!!!!

Ms.Wilson your hair grows through phases. Everyone hair does, it's just that some people recognize it more than others. I had the same problem that you have, so I went back and cut all my hair even and my left side still doesn't grow as fast as my right side.
Just like you I thought that maybe it was breakage so I started combing that side of my hair seperately to make sure, and come to find out that it wasn't breaking but just growing in at a different rate than the other side. Just like you I had never had that problem with different halves of my head growing at different rates. But like I said before your hair goes through phases. Just check it to make sure.

tarheelgurl

My vote is that the bun is the culprit. I had noticed some uneveness and determined that I was wearing my hair in the same way too much. My hair dresser said that whatever is your dominant hand is generally more harsh on the hair when combing so when you do the same thing everytime one side of your head is getting a little more harsher treatment than the other.

IDK....but I hope you figure it out so when you grow it out again you won't run into this problem.

MaryJane3000

Well, if you're saying your hair is uneven, that indicates it was breaking on the ends... I doubt it would be from tying your hair with a hair tie or something like that (from the bunning), or from pulling your hair to tight at the edges (bunning). You're saying it shorter on one side, not thinner or anything, right?

Depending on how you bun though, like if you pin your ends or roughly stick them into the hair tie and then roughly take it down, that might snap your ends.

What I'm thinking right now though is that your hair may grow unevenly. :)

I got a very blunt trim last May, and lighter trims last October and this June. My right side is nevertheless 1 or 2 inches longer than the left, and that's with trims and taking into account that I'm a slow grower. My right half is now below APL, and the left side isn't.

That might be part of it, especially if you haven't noticed any abnormal breakage (as opposed to simple shedding).

On the other hand, if you do wrap your hair (like by sending the hair around your head, the way people do to keep hair straight), that can definitely thin out your hair and make it shorter, especially if you use a brush or small-ish comb to try and beat it into being flat or staying put, or try to brush the ends straight, etc. For me, wrapping my hair to the left messed up my right side, because that was the side I was flipping back and forth all the time between putting it up and taking it down, and it was the side I was always brushing and combing, which caused increased shedding and breakage from stress.

I am leaning more towards the uneven growth thing though, because you said you cowash and bun daily, and I am assuming you air dry, which would not make your hair ideal for "wrapping" like that. I know that would be the last thing I'd be doing to my hair at night if I cowashed and bunned all the time. I'm guessing you meant that you simply wrap your hair up to protect it nightly, but not in the style of a "wrap," right?

I think i have that problem I brush my hair to the right and my left side is thinner then my right.