How to correctly use castor oil in your hair?

sparkle25

Hi. I am new to the healthy hair journey and very curious about everything. Right now i am not going to use oil at all, only to dc, but my mom wants to use it. I just ordered her some JBCO and i want to tell her how to use it correctly. I know there are many threads about castor oil, but im still very confused about oils in general.

So i learned today that some oils wont exactly "seal" moisture out of your hair because they dont coat the hair like mineral oils etc they absorb into the hair & just keep your hair moisturized for longer. But castor oil is thick, so it seems to me as if it would actually clog the pores on your scalp & weigh your hair down. My mom has really long hair without even trying, its probably MBL when straight, but its thin which is why i suggested the castor oil for her. Even if it doesnt clog the pores on her scalp, & my she chooses to put some of it on her length, isnt castor oil thick enough to keep any other moisture out? Will co washing remove the oil? Because what is the point of her moisturizing everyday if she has thick oil like that on her hair from sealing the previous night? How do you ladies suggest she use it?

BTW, i ordered the castor oil from that sams website (cant remember exactly what it is called) and the shipping what $10! Wth? Why was it so expensive for standard shipping?

toinette

Tricking the president
I use Castor Oil on my scalp every other night. I think that some people use castor oil as a prepoo as well. It seems a bit heavy to be using to seal every night IMO

Pandora1975

I seal with castor oil a few times per week. This is one of the few things I have that I use very sparingly. Yes, it co-washes out.

ETA: I use a clear castor oil- not sure about the JBCO.

beans4reezy

There are so many uses for castor oil. I use it to seal and I mix it with my MegaTex. Some uses:

Scalp
Pre-poo
Seal in moisture
Mix it with a conditioner

It just depends on what your hair's needs are.

Curlybeauty

for people who have thinning edges and stuff, they massage to oil in their problem areas every night or every other night..and castor oil is known to actually penetrate the hair too..

Jas123

The Star of a Story
i use it on the last few inches of my hair... focusing on the ends... if nothing else I do believe it helps to protect the ends