How Should I Moisturize/Seal Hair/Ends?

atemeus_itali

Good Afternoon Everyone!

I have a question I know you all can help me with. I'm trying to figure out good combos of moisture and sealing for my hair/ends during the month or so I consider my retouch to be "fresh." Product recommendations and product type (protein/moisiture/leave-in/oil) recommendations would be great!

When I was stretching (after the first month), I used S-Curl on my roots and ends and I sealed my ends with shea butter.

I just got a relaxer and I just bought Profectiv Break Free & Healthy Ends. I plan on mixing them and using them throughout my hair. Do I need to seal my ends (with oil) if I use Profectiv?

Also, I realize I've been using too much moisture and not enough protein. I use Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair every 6 weeks. I planned on using Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor for my future weekly washes. But, if I'm using the Profectiv (protein) daily or every other day, could I over do it if I use the Reconstructor weekly.

I just got a retouch and trim (I had a lot of split ends) on 10/11 and I just want to keep them healthy so I hopefully won't have to do any dusting/trimming/cutting any time soon!

Thanks!

Chromia

For daily moisture I personally like Sunsilk 24/7 Leave-In, NTM Silk Touch, Abba Nourishing Leave-In, and Fekkai Summer Hair Quick Quench. Those are all moisturizing with low or no protein.

I used to use Profectiv Break Free and Healthy Ends. Those are great if your hair needs protein. (I found out the hard way that mine didn't - it broke with those products.) Yes, if you're using the Profectiv daily or every other day, you can overdo it if you use the Reconstructor weekly.

Your can seal with castor oil, jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, coconut oil, etc.

As far as whether you need to seal your ends if you use Profectiv, I think your best bet is to do that.

atemeus_itali

thanks elizabeth!!!! i think i'm going to dump my stylist too! after my last visit, i think i gained the confidence to figure out the self-relax with the help of my friend. but thanks for the advice. im not sure how to tell if my hair gets too much or too little protein because it seems like hair will break either way :sad:. are there any other signs?

hothair

There's a sticky by Sistaslick for newbies that explains how to detect too much protein - usually hair snaps and is brittle, too much moisture - hair drags and then snaps and is "mushy" HTH :) I like elasta qp mango butter, I put it on my fingers when doing my cornrows AND seal with a bit of castor oil, works wonders

atemeus_itali

thanks! i meant to ask for prior threads about that and how to determine how much protein you need. and also i was trying to find prior threads about how people moisturize, i tried to search but i can't really find it