how often to use a protein condition

akua

I'm a little confused about using a protein conditioner. I have been using motions cpr whenever I wash my hair, which is once a week. But reading the board, I'm getting that would be too much protein in the hair. Is this correct? if so, then how often should a protein conditioner be used?
thanks in advance.

Tebby1017

Too much protein can make your hair dry and brittle. Is your hair breaking and/or brittle now by using Motions CPR at every wash?

If it is, I would suggest using it once ever 4 to six weeks. If you want to use it more often, I would recommend adding a little oil (EVOO, Jojoba, Hot Six, etc). and then following the treatment with a moisturizing conditioner.

Tebby

akua

yes, as a matter of fact my hair is a little dry and breaking, but not breaking alot, so I'll stop the once a week and switch to once a month with the protein.
thanks tebby1017

CORBINS

Tebby1017 is right, too much protein conditioner is bad. I know from experience. I went a little overboard because I thought it was good for my hair, but it turned out that my hair suffered. I had to shampoo my hair and not put any conditioner in it because it became weak. I don't know how it happened, but it did. The best thing is to use it right before putting a relaxer in your hair. I've decided that I was gonna start using a protein treatment to get my hair ready for a relaxer.

aqualung

My stylist said not to use protein more often than twice a month on my fine, relaxed, 4b hair. Protein helps when my hair is feeling limp and weak, but 3-5 minutes of protein conditioning is quite enough. Prolonged exposure makes my hair hard and tangled and tough to moisturize.

akua

megonw, i think that is my problem, it probably is the amount of protein i have been using. i'll certainly cut down now. and CORBINS, i also thought the more protein, the better and would leave it on for a long time after washing.
Using it before a relaxer is a good idea too.
thanks

Allandra

I've used Aubrey Organics GPB weekly with no negative effects. Now-a-days, I try to use it once or twice a month (alternating w/L'Oreal Mermade).

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
NYCITY said:
Allandra,
do u have pictures of ur hair anywhere, i can't recall if u ever posted them

[/ QUOTE ]
No I don't.

Tchutchuca

Sorry for the question, but how do I know when a conditioner is a protein one or a moisturizing? I really do not know if just containing wheat protein means that my hair can becaome britle, especially because a lot of conditioner contain this product. Can someone please help me and give me examples on different conditioners and ingredients that should or should not be used frequently?
Thank you so much

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]
Tchutchuca said:
Sorry for the question, but how do I know when a conditioner is a protein one or a moisturizing? I really do not know if just containing wheat protein means that my hair can becaome britle, especially because a lot of conditioner contain this product. Can someone please help me and give me examples on different conditioners and ingredients that should or should not be used frequently?
Thank you so much

[/ QUOTE ]

Plant proteins (wheat, soy, etc.) are more gentle than animal proteins (placenta, collage, keratin, hydrolized animal protein...this is what Aphogee uses). I can use plant proteins once a week if I want with no ill effects, but too much animal protein leaves my hair very hard and dry.

Honi

There is no board.
I’ve started a 6 week moisture, moisture, protein, moisture, moisture, clarify/moisture program
! Ok…I know it’s crazy but I gotta start something and stick with it this time. The protein I started using was AO GPB (recc by the board…thanks!
). That stuff is excellent! It gives you just the right amount of protein, not too little, not too much plus added moisture. I still follow-up with a moisturizing conditioner as a habit but I like it a lot. So far so good with the results.

HELLOKITTY1212

WHEN I USED TO USE MOTIONS CPR I USED IT EVERY WEEK AND SAT UNDER THE DRYER AND MY HAIR NEVER GOT DRYED OUT IT WAS VERY SOFT.I KNOW USE APHOGEE DAMAGED HAIR TREATMENT ONCE A MONTH THEN I FOLLOW UP WITH THE 2 MIN RECONSTTRUCTOR AND MY HAIR IS NEVER DRIED OUT

Islandgirl

i use protein every week because the ends of my hair is overprocessed. i always follow up with a moisturizing conditioner. and my hair is not dry, a matter of fact, the overprocessed hair is thriving on these protein treatments! ( meaning the hair is not breaking as much if i weren't using a protein treatment)

CrownnGlori

I am in love with Kenra Moisturising conditioner. My hair is so soft and well conditioned that it feels like it could slip down the drain.

Destanee

I tried the Kenra and didn't like it at all. It made my hair feel really dry.

Ms K where do you buy the Keracare and At One? I haven't tried those yet.

LABETT

I do protein treatment once a month with joico kpak followed
by lust or nexxus humectress.
I use my dudley drc one week before and two weeks after my
relaxer to strenghen my hair.

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]
Destinee said:
I tried the Kenra and didn't like it at all. It made my hair feel really dry.

Ms K where do you buy the Keracare and At One? I haven't tried those yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought them both at my local beauty supply. The At One With Nature is a really great price $3.99 I think
The Keracare I think was $12.99 or 14.99.

inthepink

I have a question along these lines...

I purchased Fantasia IC Deep Penetrating Creme Moisturizer. It doesn't say anything about being a reconstructor so I had planned to use it every week for deep conditioning. However, on the jar label, it says Protein, Aloe, Vitamins, and Botanicals help protect the hair from heat damage. In the ingredients, it lists hydrolyze keratin protein.

Is this considered a protein treatment and too harsh to use every week?

I purchased got2b Emergency Repair Creme (Soy protein) to use as my "protein treatment."

If a product has protein but doesn't say "repair" or "reconstruct" then is it considered gentle for weekly use?

Allandra

Here's the info that was posted about proteins a little while back:

All proteins are strengthening proteins to some degree but here are the more specific characteristics of these proteins--

Collagen Protein - known for increasing elasticity in the hair

Silk Protein - known for softening the hair

Wheat Protein - a moisturizing and strengthening protein. Known for increasing the hair's ability to maintain & receive moisture also.

Keratin Protein - responsible for keeping the hair strong and pliable. This is the strongest of the (hair product) proteins and is actually the one that hair is made from. This one re-structures hair that has been damaged or broken down by chemicals. It helps to replace the amino acid cysteine which is the main one lost during chemical processing. This is the heavy duty protein. If you see the following as an ingredient

*Keratin protein - this will re-structure and strengthen the hair cuticle (the outer layer only & the most important layer)

*Hydrolyzed Keratin Protein or Keratin Amino Acids - this means that the Keratin molecules have been broken down and are small enough to go beyond the cuticle and penetrate the hair shaft. It will strengthen all 3 layers of the hair. That is why the term "deep conditioning" technically only refers to this kind of treatment using penetrating proteins.

*Hydrolyzed Human Hair Keratin - This is an exact match for the keratin your hair has (or has lot due to chemical processing). This is the highest quality and most potent keratin that can be used in hair products.

inthepink

Thanks, Allandra, I knew I had seen something like that somewhere.

I'm really confused now though - my Fantasia IC has Keratin but does not say reconstructor

My got2b conditioner says reconstructor but has no keratin protein...

soulchild

Sometimes you can determine the proteins "potency" by it's place in the list of ingredients. If it's near the end then it is probably a very light protein.

And also, I suspect many products use negligible amounts of certain products, just for the benefit of putting it on the label. I think this is the case with many "protein" conditioers.

That's why I like having you ladies to ask how certain products work for you.

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
soulchild said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Me, too...I need to know if I can use the fantasia ic weekly or I am still on a search for a good deep moisturizing conditioner without protein...

Destanee

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
[ QUOTE ]
soulchild said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Me, too...I need to know if I can use the fantasia ic weekly or I am still on a search for a good deep moisturizing conditioner without protein...

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too! I'm going to try the ones suggested by Ms. Kenesha.