How often do you do a protein treatment?

daviine

I hope this wasn't done before but I was wondering what everyone's schedule was regarding protein treatments. Please indicate if thereis any special reason why you do it that often or infrequently.

I USED to do a protein treatment once amonth with Dudley's DRC-28 on a monthly basis. It's considered heavy duty so I only did it once a month and thought doing any other type of protein might be overload.

Now (well not lately
) I alternate preotein and moisturizing with each wash using ORS Hair Mayo at Marvin's suggestion. I think I feel more comfortable using the CPR in this manner but I am really rethinking my regimen. Doing a protein conditioner so often means that my wash days are longer on those days and I just don't have that kind of time right now. I'm thinking of doing every two weeks but I'm really not sure.

Also are there any signal your hair gives you telling you it needs a protein treatment? Let me know.

Thanks for reading my post.

Kitkat

I do a heavy duty protein treatment once a month with Aubreys GPB. I use light protein, Dudleys Hair Rebuilder, with every shampoo - followed by moisture, of course. I don't get any signal that I need protein, I just use it regularly to ward off any problems.

G

I do a deep protein treatment once a month using Aphogee for damaged hair. Also, I use henna which is a mild protein weekly, but I think I will cut back to only using it once a month. Right now I'm loving the Aphoghee Keratin and Green Tea Reconstructor leave-in
Makes my hair nice and smooth. It's also alcohol free. The ingredients are:

Water, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Hydrolyzed Silk, Green Tea,(Camellia Sinensis) Extract, Glycine Alanine, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine Cetrimonium Chloride, PVP, Citric Acid, Fragrance, FD&C Red #40, D&C Green #5, FD&C Yellow # 6.

Julia

If I notice breakage, then I do one immediately. However generally speaking, I usually do one max. 2 weeks after a touch up to strengthen my hair and then about once every six weeks or so to maintain strength. I use Motions CPR as well to stop breakage. Aphogee also has a mild reconstructor that you can use every time you wash in between the the major treatment. I do not use their mild version everyweek, but I probably use it once every two weeks or so. Approximately 2-3 weeks before a touch up I will use the heavy duty protien treatment as well.

Kaela

I used to use Aphogee Damaged Hair treatment every several weeks (about 8 wks) but the last time I used it, it made my hair really dry, and was almost impossible to rinse completely out. I now use Aubrey GPB every two weeks, but I don't use heat w/ it so its a milder treatment.

I can tell that I need a protein treatment when my hair feels 'thinner' or less textured, loses some of its elasticity, and breaks easier.

azul11

do these same rules apply to henna? isnt conditioned a protein conditioner? or is it just a mild protein conditioner? God bless you all.

G

Azul, please read the henna thread because everything you need to know about henna is located within those posts

alireno

I do a protein treatment after every wash. I always follow up with a moisturizing conditioner. The condition of my hair has really improved since I started doing this. Oh, I wash my hair every fourth day.

Jade21

Daviine,

Usually, I try to do a protein treatment every 3-4 months. I've gone much longer without doing one. Use the Aubrey GPB and/or Aubrey Blue Green Algae Hair Mask.

The last time I dealt with some protein was back in January, right after I had that bad bout with the flu. What I did was unusual in terms of my regime, but I did it as a preventive. I used AO GPB for about 4 weeks straight with a moisturizing conditioner follow-up.

I think if you start noticing unnecessary/unaccounted for breakage, that's a real signal you might need a protein treatment. Same thing if you feel like your hair is weaker overall and is just not as elastic.

~Jade~

notsomebody

I use the Elucence Extended Moisture repair as my protein treatment. I just started using it this year. I have completely said goodbye to Aphogee's six week treatment. I use every two weeks. The beauty of it is that it mixes extremely well with a moisturizing conditioner so I don't have to do an extra conditioning afterwards. I just wash it out and follow it up with a moisturizing cream rinse.
As for signs of when to use it, I generally use protein when I notice breakage.

gvsugirl

Since my last touch up 2 weeks ago, I have used Motions Oil Moisturizer Protein , following up with Motions Moisture Plus. My hair is really silky and shiny afterwards. I think I'm gonna continue with the protein once a week until my hair tells me otherwise

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
GVSU Girl,

Isn't that Motions Oil Moisturizer Conditioner great? Glad you like it. When I use it, I don't follow with anything but their leave-in. Maybe I will try that with the Moisture Plus.

Islandgirl

I think the scheduling of protein treatments depend on the condition of your hair. If your hair is severly damage, a protein treatment can be done every week, in some cases more than once a week (because some protein treatments say do as often as needed obviously to stop the breakage etc.). But, if your hair is healthy, I think once a month is fine.

A sign that you need a protein treatment is -SHEDDING. That's the #1 factor. Weak hair is the sign.

Allandra

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Islandgirl said:
A sign that you need a protein treatment is -SHEDDING. That's the #1 factor. Weak hair is the sign.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? I didn't know this. I thought one of the main factors was breakage. I didn't know a protein treatment could stop/help shedding.

Paris Belle

Hi Daviine!

I use protein treatments the week before and the week after I am scheduled to get a touch up.

In between that time, I will use it every 3 weeks or whenever I notice any unusual amount of shedding or breakage to get my hair back on track.

I tried using CPR back to back (I only wash once a week) and I think that it overdid it. My hair was so flat from the relaxer ( I think it was the conditioner before the neutralizing shampoo), it didn't bounce back correctly using the CPR. Also, afterward, my scalp and hair remained dry throughout the week. I had to really use a lot of moisturizer.

So I used my Motions Moisture Plus for the next wash and my hair stayed moisturized longer. When I wash again tonight, I will be using that one again.

I also have begun using the Aphogee Keratin treatment. I like this. The first time I used it I used it after using Motions Silk Protein. And even though I followed up with a moisturizing conditioner, it was overkill. My hair was really dry. I used it again last week and it worked much better. My only concern was that I used it for longer than the 5 minutes they suggested. I left it on for almost a half-hour!! I think I will do no more than 10 minutes the next time, just to be safe.

Sorry this was so long!

azul11

are you guys talking about the motions oil moisturizer silk protein conditioner? can this be at every wash or is that too much? and what is silk protein?
i have seen that in a lot of products but I was never quite sure what it was. God bless you all.

Lucia

Hi Daviine,

If your hair seems to fly-away or stringy, dry and breaking, not bouncy and shiny, then you might need some protein. But the best way to get it is from within, vitamins, eggs, meats, fish, etc...
Now if you want to save your hair I would use protein treatment following with a moisterizing creamy conditioner (THIS IS A MUST NOT AN OPTION) or your hair will be hard and brittle.
Usually every 6 weeks is the closest you can do these treatments. I do mine now every 10-12 weeks, but if your hair needs it do the 6 week plan until your hair gets back in shape.
hth

Paris Belle

I think using the Motions silk protein once weekly is too much. You can overdo it. That is unless you're experiencing breakage or damage. Then you may want to use this or CPR back to back for a week or two until you think your hair is back on track.

I'm not sure what silk protein is, but this particular protein conditioner contains moisturizers (oil and cones I believe) in it as well to moisturize and strengthen it at the same time. I've never experienced dry hair after using it.

adrienne0914

Allandra said:
Islandgirl said:

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? I didn't know this. I thought one of the main factors was breakage. I didn't know a protein treatment could stop/help shedding.

[/ QUOTE ]
i don't think it helps with shedding either. there's a distinct difference between the two. i've had seriously shedding recently, which means losing whole strands from the scalp. i really believe that's caused by internal factors. protein treatments haven't helped me with that at all.

to answer the original question, lately i do a protein treatment whenever the mood hits me. i love the Affirm 5-in-1. i'm having a hard time not using it every time i wash. my hair loves the stuff though!

adrienne

Crysdon

[/ QUOTE ]

Protein treatments will not stop shedding. It will stop breakage. Shedding is normal and there is nothing that you can put on your hair to stop it.

mirrormirror

My hairdresser does a protein treatment (Affirm 5 in 1) each touch-up which is about every 3- 4 months. My home hair care does not include protein treatments.

Allandra

adrienne0914 said:
i don't think it helps with shedding either. there's a distinct difference between the two. i've had seriously shedding recently, which means losing whole strands from the scalp. i really believe that's caused by internal factors. protein treatments haven't helped me with that at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I think it's basically for making the hair stronger and helping with breakage. I didn't think it did anything for shedding (since it's pretty much internal or either one's shedding season).

Daviine,

Now that I've found a protein treatment that I really like (Aubrey Organics GPB), I do a treatment approx once every 2/3 weeks ish. If I notice any excessive shedding, I'll reach for it for the next wash. I've not had alot of shedding for a while though.

I try and do a protein treatment on the final wash before a relaxer and at some point within the first few washes after.