How often do you wear 'your hair'???

MsMwana

I'm looking around at all these beautiful heads of hair and I'm wondering how many ladies used braids/weaves to grow their hair or if people mostly leave their hair out so they can take care of it as much as possible? I'm in a sew in right now and part of me wants to throw all these extensions out forever and enjoy my God given hair like every other race on this planet and another part of me wants to keep faking it til I make it...
Your thoughts?

I think you should do what makes you happy. I protective style throughout the week with buns or other updos and on the weekends I always wear my hair down. I may wear a wig like once a month and get braids a few times a year but the majority of the time I'm wearing my own hair because I like for my SO to play in it!

Honestly, mostly only for special occasions. Most times my hair is in somekind of protective style, this year in particular I'm gonna be braided up all the time.

I recently started wearing weaves again because I just want my hair to grow. I have goals to reac and I notice when I leave it out, I play in it too much n not to mention my s/o can't keep his hands out my hair. So what that being said, I'm pretty sure I won't be wearing my own hair out for quite sometime ESPeCIALLY since I learned how to do my own sew-ins.. :)

I think you should do what makes you happy. I protective style throughout the week with buns or other updos and on the weekends I always wear my hair down. I may wear a wig like once a month and get braids a few times a year but the majority of the time I'm wearing my own hair because I like for my SO to play in it!

What makes me happy is long hair :lick: ! The progress in your siggy is amazing, how did you achieve that? Was it mainly buns? My hair is NL, not really long enough for a cute bun, hence me 'faking it' for now... I want long haiiiirrrr!!!!:wallbash:

I am about to put mine up. I love my WnGs and my puffs but I play to much. It's time for it to go at last for a couple months.

Since bc'ing I wear my hair no more than for a week out of the month. My hair is braided (with extentions) at least 75% of the time.

I wear my own hair everyday, LOL!

I really do want a weave though, but I tried it once and didn't like it.

I wear my own hair about half the time. The other half I'm in halfwigs. This summer I'm definitely going in a sew in. I need to focus on lower manipulation. I only retain about 3 inches (maybe 4) a year, and I think it's because I play in my hair too much and fall asleep without a scarf. So, I think I'll go thru 2 or 3 installs and see if my retention improves (it better!)

I have a wig I never wear. I just wear my own hair 99.9% of the time all year round. Its usually in a bun or ponytail. In the winter I wear it down more often, but in the spring & summer I usually have it protected.

I wear my own hair 100% of the time. During the week I protective style with buns, and I wear my hair out on the weekends(rollersets).

I am not opposed to weaves, and I've worn them in the past, but right now I'm enjoying my own hair.

What makes me happy is long hair :lick: ! The progress in your siggy is amazing, how did you achieve that? Was it mainly buns? My hair is NL, not really long enough for a cute bun, hence me 'faking it' for now... I want long haiiiirrrr!!!!:wallbash:

Yep mostly bunning or clipping it up with a octopus or butterfly clip (idk if i'm making those names up or what lol). Staying away from heat was really important for me and I know being at nl it may be hard to not use heat. Maybe you could just hide your hair until you get to the length you desire to wear out but you don't have to do it all the time. I think braidouts and twistouts can be cute on nl hair so maybe you can have your hair braided under a wig for a wig or do phony buns/ponies and then on the weekends you can enjoy your hair in a braid/twist out?

I usually always have my hair braided or in a full weave. I get it flat ironed once in a blue moon mostly when its time to give my hair a rest. So 90% of the time my hair isn't even showing.

I have always worn my own hair, even when it was neck length and overprocessed.:sad: I wore spiral curls mostly (to hide the damage) until it grew long enough to begin trimming the damaged ends and style in an updo.

I have never worn fake hair or even tried on a wig.

Urgh, Im NL too and I have been in braids for about a year non stop. I took it out and decided to do quickweaves but found that my bangs revert in rain, blow out of place in the wind ect:perplexed

I CAN'T TAKE IT!!! I've had short hair or extensions for so long I dont know how to deal with my own growing hair. I think I will have to grow it out in extensions then use natural styles when its long enough to show length. I want shoulder length twists.

I hardly ever wear my hair out nowadays, especially since I am transitioning so it's easier just to throw on a wig or put it into braid extensions for a while. I will occasionally straighten for a length check, but I don't think I'd like to wear it down much until I get to about APL.

I braid 2-3 times per year but otherwise I just wear my own hair in braid outs and puffs. I find that even though I retain length well enough with braids, I am more likely to neglect dc'ing etc when I have them in and my hair is major dry when I take them down so I try to limit hair extension based protective styling. I tried a weave once which was promptly taken down a week later coz I couldn't access my scalp properly.

I half considered getting a lace wig once to fake it till I make it but I just decided that I prefer wearing my own hair even when it's a half reverted mess!

It sounds to me like you are leaning a lot towards getting rid of the sew in for now so I say go for it. It's probably best to learn how to look after your hair while it's out so you don't have to rely on weaves and wigs when it's finally long in order to keep your length. I also suspect that it is more satisfying to retain length while wearing your own hair!

Last year, I wore my own hair for about sixteen weeks (buns/pin up). I have been braided up ever since my stretch has become so long. Right now, my hair is too fragile ( 56 weeks post, 3 textures) to keep manipulating it. So braids and wigs have held me down for months on end now. :)

I always wear my hair. Haven't worn a sew-in, half-wig, etc. in forever--but would occasionally wear an afro phony pony. Haven't done that in over a year either.

Good thread O.P. ..I'm in the same boat as you are right now. I wore a weave from 06-08 and went from an ear length bob to BSB hair..then i ruined my fresh head of bouncy lush hair by over processing..letting the hairdresser take the relaxer all the way down the strand..and so on. Now I'm back in a weave since 8/08 ..this time once I reach my goal length I'm armed with all the knowled and healthy hair practices I've learned on this forum. Just keep doing your research O.P. , take care of your hair while in the sew in. Look at members such as Ediese and Nichi whos hair has grown leaps and bounds since weave..all that to say hang in there girl!

I wear my own hair usually insome type of PS b/c that is what my hair likes best. I may use the flat iron for length checks once a quarter or for special occasions. If I am going swimming often or to the beach. I'll wear braids/ weave but aside from that I've decided to treat my hair like I treat my body. It's not for all to see ;).

I'm going to PS and "fake-it" until I get close to or make APL. I feel it prevents me from overmunipulating my own hair which seems to be the root of my...stalled growth.

before 2010, i was in braids/half wigs maybe 2 of the 18 months since i went natural. this year, i'm trying to hide my hair (and specifically, stop manipulating my ends) more to get to full BSL. right now my hair is out in all its curly glory, but it doesn't know it will be going into senegalese twists or a curly weave soon.

started journy on 07 wore a wig only for six months and the rest of the 2 1/2 years have been all my hair out everyday, in a bun or pony, or twist out, mostly twist outs, everyday

Back