How often do you dust?

How often do you Dust?

• Total voters

pyxis777

My hair is slowly recovering for damage. I play with my hair a lot, and when I notice a split end I lop it off immediately. I find myself taking out the scissors every day.

How often do you dust? Do you wait every few weeks? Every few months? Do you not dust at all?

Please let me know, I'm very curious.

naturaline

i used to do it about once every two months hehe... i need to do it now but i have to buy a good pair of scissors!

SweetCaramel1

pyxis777 said:
My hair is slowly recovering for damage. I play with my hair a lot, and when I notice a split end I lop it off immediately. I find myself taking out the scissors every day.

How often do you dust? Do you wait every few weeks? Every few months? Do you not dust at all?

Please let me know, I'm very curious.

i haven't had a cut since october and relaxed in march. for the past 2 weeks i've been dusting (clipping split or knotted ends) daily. i wrap my hair with my hands and when i see a bad hair in front of my eyes i get rid of it!

Synthia

I used to be like that last fall. I was never satisfied with my ends. After one cut, I'd want to cut more the next weekend. It was an obsession, a compulsion.

I had to will myself to stop an realize that ends are never perfect. I would have gone bald. :lol:

Now, I just moisturize my ends and leave them alone. When I get to brastrap, then I cut them.

sareca

Are we talking about a trim or dusting? When dusting you are only cutting one hair at a time and only the ones with splits or knots. Trimming is taking a little bit off all your hair. Dusting doesn't remove length, trimming does.

Last edited:

Synthia

sareca said:
Are we talking about a trim or dusting? When dusting you are only cutting one hair at a time and only the ones with splits or knots. Trimming is taking a little bit off all your hair. Dusting doesn't remove length, trimming does.

Oh, that's not how my mom and I have used the term dusting so I think people have different understandings.

For me dusting affects the entire length but the cut is very slight ...shallower than a trim -- a slight grazing of the edges with the scissors to even up or get rid of damage.

krissyprissy

Dusting is cutting a very small amount of hair. It should look like dust on the floor or sink when finish. I say about 1/8 of a inch.

Triming is more like 1/4 to 1/2 an inch off.

I dust or trim every other relaxer.Depending on how the ends look.

RabiaElaine

I usually dust or get a small trim when I relax, right now it's been 4 months since a relaxer/dust...going to get a relaxer next week, not sure if I will let the stylist dust.

shelli4018

I dusted this morning. Apparently I've been slipping because my ends were looking crazy. I've gotta be more diligent and mindful of my ends. Otherwise all my progress goes straight out the window.

What do you guys seal your ends with? I need to find a daily moisturizer that doesn't weigh my hair down.

pyxis777

As sareca explained, I refer to dusting as only cutting one hair at a time and only the ones with splits or knots.

I am going to try to go through this whole year without getting a formal trim (evening up the ends). I'm just going to let my hair grow out, dusting along the way to get rid of previous damage, and then hopefully at the end of the year, I will go to someone I trust to get a trim to even everything up.

Chromia

shelli4018 said:
I dusted this morning. Apparently I've been slipping because my ends were looking crazy. I've gotta be more diligent and mindful of my ends. Otherwise all my progress goes straight out the window.

What do you guys seal your ends with? I need to find a daily moisturizer that doesn't weigh my hair down.

I've been using ORS Olive Oil for about a month. It moisturizes well and doesn't weigh my hair down. I usually put jojoba oil on top of that.

czyfaith77

elizabeth said:
When I notice a split I'll trim that strand of hair just above the split.

I do this too. I also tend to get a good all over dusting (1/4 of an inch or less) like once every 3-4 months of when really needed.

LizLeila

Do any of you get your hair dusted professionally, if so where do you go? I havent been able to find a stylist who knows the difference between a dust and a trim. I know a while back someone mentioned Supercuts. TIA.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
Candy_C said:
i snip a split whenever i see it. i dust every 3 months sometimes. just depends.
That's what I do to....I was trying to dust every month but sometimes my ends look so horrid it turns into a trim :(

plove

sareca said:

oh, that is what it's called, i dust every time i see split ends.