How many times do you trim or dust your hair?

Once a year for me though I should probably do it more. I do it each time I straighten my hair. If I see splits I will snip them off though

When I was transitioning I would get my hair trimmed every 6 weeks (now I feel like that was way too much but I was eager to get rid of the relaxed ends) since about May I've been getting my trims every 2-3 months. Now I'm going to try to get them as needed but I HATE split ends and uneven hair :antlers:... I feel there's no need in having hair that doesn't look healthy and for me... nice ends = healthy looking hair.

I shampoo and dc 2x's a week. Once a week after I seal my braids, ( the entire braid-not just the end), I dust my ends. And seal again. I do this every week.

As a result I have no split ends or knots on the ends of my hair to deal with. Yes, sometimes when I dust the ends I take off are smooth and undamaged. But the amount I dust is so tiny it does not make a difference in the overall length of my hair.

My hair is growing at a good rate and my split/knotted ends problems are now non issues.

Ideally, (read: when really focused on this journey) every 6-8 weeks. Lately, (read: when just being apathetic about the whole thing) just when I think of it.

I check in with my stylist every 6 weeks (since I am still transitioning) for a trim but I only get one if she sees split ends. This past week I had none so I am riding on the happy train about being able to keep every last centimeter of hair this go 'round. We'll see on my next visit. I love my stylist, she is NOT scissor happy and says it like it is!! You GO Nappy Republic in Plano, TX!! WOOT WOOT!!!

1x a year....but i wear protective styles all year and use heat 2x year. Once I reach my goal I will trim more often.

I haven't had a trim in going on 4 years. :eek:

Before that I was trimming once or twice a year. Starting next year I may go back to doing it once a year.

Once or twice a year.
I barely have split ends. When I began my HHJ I noticed I had healthy strong hair and barely any split ends so I figured I didnt need to trim every 6-8 weeks.

(relaxed hair)

I trim every 2 months - I go to a master cutter for this. She knows what I'm looking for.
I dust (myself) and do S&D every 2 weeks - I get random ssk, but I do not suffer from split ends.

I love clean lines and beautiful ends.

Last edited:
Back