How Many Stylists Have Long, Healthy Hair?

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
This is kind of long, but I gave this issue some thought (and it's my lunch break!) :p

There are definitely not many stylists with fantastic hair. However, I don’t judge them by the way their hair looks. I believe them when they say they don’t have time for their own hair.

Case in point, you can ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you I am one of the most organized persons they’ve ever known. But walk into my home office?... Whew!, looks like a cyclone hit it!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: As a business manager and web programmer, I have to be on-point, and most of my day is keeping things in order, and managing databases, etc. and I honestly don’t have the energy or desire after spending my time keeping everyone else organized and orderly to take care of my own.

So, I try not to judge people by the way they look. Many visual artists I know don’t even match their socks, iron their clothes, bathe regularly, or shave, but they produce masterpieces. So when I go to the salon, I don’t look at the stylist, I look at her clients. I pay attention to how they treat their customers’ hair. Do they listen to the customer? Do they give advice? Is their advice sound? What are their practices?

The reason I chose my current stylist, after visiting various salons, was after watching her apply relaxer to a client’s hair. She did not converse with anyone. If someone tried to speak to her, she shut them down until she was done. She was 100% focused on what she was doing with those dangerous chemicals, still timed her processes even though she's been in the business for over 35 years. And I've been to stylist with BEAUTIFUL hair that's just slapped the relaxer on my head, didn't listen to me when I said it was burning, and I ended up with hair falling like pine needles and a bald spot!:mad: :mad:...........But I digress.

I’ve been going to my current stylist for over 6 years now and I have seen women on their first visit that were balding, and now their bald spots are now filled in and growing nicely. I'm one of them, after that experience with the other salon mentioned above! She has clients with lovely long, thick hair. And I’ll tell you, my stylist usually wears this bob-style wig with her hair sticking from under it, or pulls it back in a low bunl!!!:eek: Horrible!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now if the sylist's hair is jacked, and their customers’ hair doesn’t look any better? RUN AWAY!!!!:grin:

Just my 2-cents. Okay more like 5-cents it so long! :roll:

CreoleInDC

Legend said:
This is kind of long, but I gave this issue some thought (and it's my lunch break!) :p

There are definitely not many stylists with fantastic hair. However, I don’t judge them by the way their hair looks. I believe them when they say they don’t have time for their own hair.

Case in point, you can ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you I am one of the most organized persons they’ve ever known. But walk into my home office?... Whew!, looks like a cyclone hit it!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: As a business manager and web programmer, I have to be on-point, and most of my day is keeping things in order, and managing databases, etc. and I honestly don’t have the energy or desire after spending my time keeping everyone else organized and orderly to take care of my own.

So, I try not to judge people by the way they look. Many visual artists I know don’t even match their socks, iron their clothes, bathe regularly, or shave, but they produce masterpieces. So when I go to the salon, I don’t look at the stylist, I look at her clients. I pay attention to how they treat their customers’ hair. Do they listen to the customer? Do they give advice? Is their advice sound? What are their practices?

The reason I chose my current stylist, after visiting various salons, was after watching her apply relaxer to a client’s hair. She did not converse with anyone. If someone tried to speak to her, she shut them down until she was done. She was 100% focused on what she was doing with those dangerous chemicals, still timed her processes even though she's been in the business for over 35 years. And I've been to stylist with BEAUTIFUL hair that's just slapped the relaxer on my head, didn't listen to me when I said it was burning, and I ended up with hair falling like pine needles and a bald spot!:mad: :mad:...........But I digress.

I’ve been going to my current stylist for over 6 years now and I have seen women on their first visit that were balding, and now their bald spots are now filled in and growing nicely. I'm one of them, after that experience with the other salon mentioned above! She has clients with lovely long, thick hair. And I’ll tell you, my stylist usually wears this bob-style wig with her hair sticking from under it, or pulls it back in a low bunl!!!:eek: Horrible!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now if the sylist's hair is jacked, and their customers’ hair doesn’t look any better? RUN AWAY!!!!:grin:

Just my 2-cents. Okay more like 5-cents it so long! :roll:

Good argument. HOWEVER....hair is more than a "home office," on the contrary...to a stylist...it should be considered advertising.

jwhitley6

I know a stylist in Los Angeles with pressed, waist length hair without a broken strand in sight....beautiful. If I still lived there I would certainly go to her...plus she's one of my best friend's sister, so I'd get extra love.

Other than her, most stylists I know wear their hair short, or in weaves and braids with dramatic color.

Mestiza

NO! :nono:

This made me think about the time that I was w/ someone who had a hair appointment. I was reading a book and minding my own business when her hairstylist (who was wearing horrible looking hair) left one of her other clients and walked over to me and said that my hair was too long and that if I sat in her chair, the first thing that she would do is cut it short. :mad: You just try it!

She told me that I could get a weave if I wanted long hair b/c that's what she does. She said that her hair was way down her back, but she keeps it very short, now b/c weave gives her so many options. A male hairstylist working there told her that she was lying through her teeth and has never had long hair in all of the many years that he's known her. He said, "Why do you keep bothering people who really DO have long hair w/ your hair tales?" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
Mestiza said:

This made me think about the time that I was w/ someone who had a hair appointment. I was reading a book and minding my own business when her hairstylist (who was wearing horrible looking hair) left one of her other clients and walked over to me and said that my hair was too long and that if I sat in her chair, the first thing that she would do is cut it short. :mad: You just try it!

She told me that I could get a weave if I wanted long hair b/c that's what she does. She said that her hair was way down her back, but she keeps it very short, now b/c weave gives her so many options. A male hairstylist working there told her that she was lying through her teeth and has never had long hair in all of the many years that he's known her. He said, "Why do you keep bothering people who really DO have long hair w/ your hair tales?" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: Wow! That is a HOT mess!!!!

Sistaslick

CreoleInDC said:
Good argument. HOWEVER....hair is more than a "home office," on the contrary...to a stylist...it should be considered advertising.

I guess kinda like going to a dermatologist who has bad acne.:grin:

hopeful

Mestiza said:

LMAO I love it when people get called out like that! Why people always be lying and stuff?!:mad: :( :look: :lol:

Mestiza

hopeful said:
LMAO I love it when people get called out like that! Why people always be lying and stuff?!:mad: :( :look: :lol:

Exactly! There's no need for it! :nono: I was sitting, quietly, enjoying my book and she popped up out of nowhere w/ that hair tale, as he put it. :lachen:

I use to go to a stylist who had beautiful long hair. I had been doing my own relaxers since I was a teenager, but I decided to start going to a salon to get my touch-ups (thought my hair would be healthier). At first she did a good job. But she must have left the relaxer on my hair for too long during the last touch-up she did for me, because my hair started to break off at the root (leaving only about 3/4 in. in some areas) :cry:

(My hair had been a little past shoulder length.) When she was combing it out after she washed it, she kept commenting on how weak and overprocessed my hair was, and asking what had I done to it. Meanwhile, in all the years I had been doing my own hair, I never caused that much damage!!! I ended up wearing my hair in braids for two years until all the damaged hair grew out. Needless to say, I have never been to a hair salon since!!!

I have always been a do-it-yourself person. So I guess I learned to trust in myself more.

Mestiza said:

I think she was jealous of your hair. I always wonder about people's motives. Why would you say something like that to someone?

Nic_Cali

Cheleigh said:
Mine! :D

She's my oldest friend, and growing up, we both got our hair done under the tutelage of my great aunt, who was always focused on hair health, not fantasy styles and cute weaves. Under my aunt's hand, we both had long hair--my hair grew longer, and hers grew thicker (and prettier) than mine.

When she became a stylist herself, she also adopted my aunt's philosophy of healthy manes rather than fantasy styles. And she has maintained her own healthy looking head of relaxed hair. Her hair is currently jet black (or very dark brown), thick, and bra strap.

I will say that part of it is genetics--she comes from a family of thick, long haired girls/women. But still, lots of stylists take no time on their own hair. She wears a lot of protective styles (bun or pony) and is on top of her hair's needs.

I refer everyone I know to her, because I know their hair will be healthy. ETA: many of her clients have long/longish hair, either relaxed or pressed. :grin:

Cheleigh,

I see you are from the bay area what is the name of the shop? Does she specialize in natural haircare only?

Mestiza

chocolatesis said:
I use to go to a stylist who had beautiful long hair. I had been doing my own relaxers since I was a teenager, but I decided to start going to a salon to get my touch-ups (thought my hair would be healthier). At first she did a good job. But she must have left the relaxer on my hair for too long during the last touch-up she did for me, because my hair started to break off at the root (leaving only about 3/4 in. in some areas) :cry:

(My hair had been a little past shoulder length.) When she was combing it out after she washed it, she kept commenting on how weak and overprocessed my hair was, and asking what had I done to it. Meanwhile, in all the years I had been doing my own hair, I never caused that much damage!!! I ended up wearing my hair in braids for two years until all the damaged hair grew out. Needless to say, I have never been to a hair salon since!!!

I have always been a do-it-yourself person. So I guess I learned to trust in myself more.

OMG! :eek: SHE overprocessed your hair and then, asked what did YOU do to it? Classic! If you damage someone's hair don't try to blame them for it. :nono: I do my own hair b/c I had a hairstylist to severely damage a portion of mine. Thankfully, it wasn't all over and my hair was long enough to cover it.

Mestiza

chocolatesis said:
I think she was jealous of your hair. I always wonder about people's motives. Why would you say something like that to someone?

That's what my mom said, too. I was shocked! She really had some nerve. :mad:

cocowhite

Of all the stylists I know I only know two, one of them could not style if her life depended on it and the other had almost waist length and her clients if they wanted their hair to grow, she could do it, the only problem with her was that her cliente / waiting was wayyyy to long. She overbooked everybody and if wanted to be out by between 3-5 p.m. get there around 7-8 am.

balisi

I'm a hairstylist and I consider my hair healthy and long, even though it is currently above brastrap. Prior to my pixie-ish cut a few years ago, it was beyond brastrap. I have always been about healthy hair, even prior to becoming a stylist and discovering hair boards. I normally wear my natural hair unstraightened and unstretched, so it does usually appear shorter than it actually is.

I agree that a hairstylist's hair should represent his/her profession, but I also find it difficult to make sure that my hair is always coiffed, due to time constraints. I do sometimes receive my clients with my hair pulled back, but it is always neat, clean and obviously in very good condition, and they compliment me on it.

mermaid

CreoleInDC said:
I've been thinking about this and I can honestly say that I have never had a female stylist who had long, healthy hair...and yet...I let them in MY hair! When I think about the last chick with the dry *** red/blond super short cut with the spikeys...and the answer to why my hair was still the same length..."Some people's hair GENETICALLY doesn't grow longer than a certain length." WHADAFUG?????

What about you guys? Any of your stylists had long, healthy BLACK hair?
The last 2 women that worked on my hair had long hair; the first one- over 10 years ago- had pretty, long, bra strap hair and she didn't dye it crazy. The other one was a "disciple" of the first one (had a health problem that interferred with her job) , which is why I let her work on my hair. It was thick and long. She was the last person I let work on my hair (color, 8 years ago) and she did a nice job, but I prefer to do it myself.
She owns her own salon now, so she's doing fine.

joyous

Mestiza said:
NO! :nono

You should have told her I can also wear a weave or wig if I want short hair. Who does she think she was fooling, please? The statement she made even sounds stupid and she wants you to trust her with your hair?

LovelyZ

None of my stylist have ever had long hair. I had one stylist with really healthy shoulder legnth hair. The other two regular stylist I used to see, I couldn't really tell because they changed up so much, but I know their hair was not long.

Mestiza

joyous said:
You should have told her I can also wear a weave or wig if I want short hair. Who does she think she was fooling, please? The statement she made even sounds stupid and she wants you to trust her with your hair?

:lol: You're right about that! :yep:

I was so surprised that she said that. That has to be the dumbest thing that a hairstylist has ever said to me, and I wasn't even her client. My cousin stopped going to her b/c her hair looked so dry and frizzy when she did it and she kept cutting it. :(

jaibee

my last one did, she was the only one. Her hair was a little below shoulder length, she had a black rinse, and she only wore rollerwraps and twist outs.

Galleta

My stylist has a fade, but all three of her daughters have long healthy hair. She has never had long hair; I think she prefers to have short hair because she is too busy to do her own.