How Many Stylists Have Long, Healthy Hair?

CreoleInDC

I've been thinking about this and I can honestly say that I have never had a female stylist who had long, healthy hair...and yet...I let them in MY hair! When I think about the last chick with the dry *** red/blond super short cut with the spikeys...and the answer to why my hair was still the same length..."Some people's hair GENETICALLY doesn't grow longer than a certain length." WHADAFUG?????

What about you guys? Any of your stylists had long, healthy BLACK hair?

Last edited:

hopeful

I almost posted this very question about a week ago but I got distracted and forgot.:p Anyway, NO is my answer. I had a lady help me with my bc a few weeks ago and lol she was wearing a beautiful weave, she talked about good hair (which in her opinion was wavy hair) and bad hair (which well you know was kinky hair), seemed kinda appalled that I wanted to bc and wanted to dye my natural hair blonde because it would loosen up my kinks. She was like girl I will hook you up. I was like uhm, no thanks. Oh yeah when I said I had 4a/b hair she was like I don't know nothing about that.:lol:

My hairdresser in Boston always wore a weave. She wore her real hair out for a few weeks which was about neck-length but went right back to her weaves because she said she didn't want to fool with her hair in the morning, she was too busy, blah, blah, but I think she just loved shoulder-length hair and couldn't get hers that length. JMHO.

The hairdresser before that wore hers super short and kept it reddish blonde, relaxed like every four weeks lol. But it was cute.:look: Anyway, I think I did have a hairdresser once a really long time ago who had long hair (to me anyway) it was a little past shoulder-length. One time she showed me an old pic and her hair was like waist-length. But she is the only one...:perplexed

Cheleigh

Mine! :D

She's my oldest friend, and growing up, we both got our hair done under the tutelage of my great aunt, who was always focused on hair health, not fantasy styles and cute weaves. Under my aunt's hand, we both had long hair--my hair grew longer, and hers grew thicker (and prettier) than mine.

When she became a stylist herself, she also adopted my aunt's philosophy of healthy manes rather than fantasy styles. And she has maintained her own healthy looking head of relaxed hair. Her hair is currently jet black (or very dark brown), thick, and bra strap.

I will say that part of it is genetics--she comes from a family of thick, long haired girls/women. But still, lots of stylists take no time on their own hair. She wears a lot of protective styles (bun or pony) and is on top of her hair's needs.

I refer everyone I know to her, because I know their hair will be healthy. ETA: many of her clients have long/longish hair, either relaxed or pressed. :grin:

Last edited:

Sistaslick

I have a first cousin who is a stylist and owns her own salon-- and she has the most beautiful hair I have ever seen on a woman of color. :love: I used to sit behind her in church just so I could examine it because it was just so.... so... rare. It was dark, thick, swingy, and waistlength at least.

I have never been to, or ever seen another stylist with hair like that. Ever.

But!

None of her clients ever had hair like that in all the years they came to her. Myself included. My only complaint with her was that she only gave out generic hair advice like--- "leave your hair alone" and "take good care of your hair"--- ummm , well what is that supposed to mean?:look: :lol: She never really told you what to do-- or what she did to achieve healthy hair. She was known as "Sista Snip Snip" because she loved to cut ends. From shop open to close---Ends didn't stand a chance around her. :lol: Eventually the family started to complain about her holding everybody back so she could have the best hair, and she eased up on the scissors. :lol:

JazzyDez

Thats a good question and I honestly can't say that I know a stylist with long healthy hair. My stylist always wears a weave so who knows whats underneath :confused:

hopeful

Cheleigh said:
Mine! :D

She's my oldest friend, and growing up, we both got our hair done under the tutelage of my great aunt, who was always focused on hair health, not fantasy styles and cute weaves. Under my aunt's hand, we both had long hair--my hair grew longer, and hers grew thicker (and prettier) than mine.

When she became a stylist herself, she also adopted my aunt's philosophy of healthy manes rather than fantasy styles. And she has maintained her own healthy looking head of relaxed hair. Her hair is currently jet black (or very dark brown), thick, and bra strap.

I will say that part of it is genetics--she comes from a family of thick, long haired girls/women. But still, lots of stylists take no time on their own hair. She wears a lot of protective styles (bun or pony) and is on top of her hair's needs.
I refer everyone I know to her, because I know their hair will be healthy. :grin:

Hey Cheleigh, does she work in the SF Bay area? Does she do natural hair? LOL hook a sista up!

mkh_77

The only two stylists I've ever had have/had healthy long (bra strap and longer) hair. The stylist moved away and now her assistant does my trims.

erin558

my stylist has healthy hair but it's not long. she keeps it in a cute pixie cut that suits her well.

I use to have a stylist with long healthy hair though

Cheleigh

hopeful said:
Hey Cheleigh, does she work in the SF Bay area? Does she do natural hair? LOL hook a sista up!

LOL she does. I will say that I think her "weakest" point is natural styles if you're not getting a press, simply because she doesn't have a lot of natural clients who want to wear their hair kinky. I told her though that she can practice more natural styles like flat twists, etc. on me to get up to speed. I would still recommend her to anyone, but I can't promise "Oh My Nappy Hair" level hair styles coming out of the salon at this point! :lol: Having said that, she did my hair style after my BC (an afro puff twisted off my face-photos at the end of my hair album) and she did a great job.

PM me though if you (or anyone else in the Bay Area) want her contact info. I highly recommend her.

hopeful

Okay Cheleigh, just one more question. Have you been to Oh My Nappy Hair in Oakland? Sounds like you had a good experience. I think maybe that's where I need to go. What's the neighborhood like where it's located?

Sorry for the interruption Creole.

carolina_belle

My current stylist has long hair and the best one ever had a gorgeous head of hair. When I was looking for a stylist, all the weave turned me off. Why would I let you do my hair when yours is either jacked up or weaved up?

Cheleigh

hopeful said:
Okay Cheleigh, just one more question. Have you been to Oh My Nappy Hair in Oakland? Sounds like you had a good experience. I think maybe that's where I need to go. What's the neighborhood like where it's located?

Sorry for the interruption Creole.

I've never been there--I've only been natural for a month. It's about 5 minutes away from my office building though. It's expensive. I've heard mixed opinions. I might go there once just to see for myself.

I have other recommendations for natural salons that have been given to me by a few naturals in the Bay. I'll PM them to you.

Sorry for guano'ing all over this thread.

zoj2

My mother's stylist has long healthy relaxed hair, and every since my mom has been going to her, her hair has been thriving and growing.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
My stylist in Dallas has healthy, natural hair a little past APL. She was my first inspiration and part of the reason why I wanted to transition.

Chinagem

My stylist doesn't have long hair now but it was apl when I first met her two years ago. She is always doing something to it because she likes change. She's bc'd I don't know how many times, relaxed it bone straight, cut it again and texturized it, dyed it, etc. There is another lady that works with her that has some of the thickest, purttiest hair i've ever seen but she too always cuts it after it's grown out a certain amount of time. I think that maybe alot of stylists just get bored with their hair easily and since they can change it and they just do so whenever they want to. i don't think it has anything to do with whether or not they can physically grow their hair long enough or not.

KiniKakes

Well I go to the Dominicans now, since I moved to NY 5 1/2 years ago..... but I wont count their hair.

However, prior to that time I went to regular African-American salons. And the answer is none. Their hair wasnt jacked up or damaged, per se, but every stylist I have EVER had has kept their hair in a super short cut, like, a few inches of hair. And their reasoning is always that they just can't be bothered. :look: Other stylists in those salon usually had decent looking weaves. It does make one wonder....... :confused:

I occasionally go to Follicles salon, in Brooklyn, when I want a special style that the Dominicans dont do. And the same thing applies..... super short cuts, or a weave.

jasmin

I had only one stylist that I had long hair. She was the bomb but she up and disappeared. No one knew what happened to her. She didn't call anyone but we all knew she was having problems with her husband. If I was older at the time ( I was a freshman in college) I would have known to call the police or do something.

senimoni

My last beautician had very nice long almost BSL length blunt cut hair. I miss her....sniffle sniffle, she relaxed me perfectly and she would do s&d's on my hair as opposed to just cutting away. We disagreed on some things but overall she was the best.

Keen

CreoleInDC said:
I've been thinking about this and I can honestly say that I have never had a female stylist who had long, healthy hair...and yet...I let them in MY hair! When I think about the last chick with the dry *** red/blond super short cut with the spikeys...and the answer to why my hair was still the same length..."Some people's hair GENETICALLY doesn't grow longer than a certain length." WHADAFUG?????

What about you guys? Any of your stylists had long, healthy BLACK hair?

My stylist hair does not usually looked good. However, most of her clients that I've seen usually have nice shoulder lenght hair. She would advice her clients against doing things that would cause irreversal damages.

My friend have been going to this stylist forever. Her kitchen area is so tore up she had to cut her hair into a style to fit that angle. She keep on recommending her stylist to me. I do not want my hair to end up like hers... I try to give her advice but she won't listen. Don't ask me how I grow my hair so much if you are not willing to do the work. Her hair has so much potential...

KiniKakes

jasmin said:
I had only one stylist that I had long hair. She was the bomb but she up and disappeared. No one knew what happened to her. She didn't call anyone but we all knew she was having problems with her husband. If I was older at the time ( I was a freshman in college) I would have known to call the police or do something.

*YIKES* :sekret:

beyondcute

I wont go to them unless theie hai rlooks good. My favorite stylist had bra strap length hair and then sh cut it to nec length and dyed it red. Still looked great! My other one has the silkiest hair.. My great aunt :) She likes to keep hers short too but Ive seen it at bra strap. Next would be Veronica... Nice hair but wears weaves ofetn. She says she never has tiem for hers and when she does she doesnt want to do it. Who would after doing hair all day. I went to one lady who had kinda busted hair and she is a major reason Im transitioining :lol: Her hair was a shoulder length but it looked a lil dry... And I coudl tell she was tired... I shoulda let the other lady in the shop hook me up. She had bra strap length nautral hair.... Oh well.

beyondcute

Braiders... Most of them were jacked up! Receding hair lines... Too tight braids... caked up product... 2 of the more recent ones have awesome hair though. My sister is another one of my stylists. Her hair is nice. Thick and mostly natural (she does the 'halo' thing) Umm thats about it... :)

BrownBetty

my stylist now has very healthy hair but it is medium lenght (a little shorter than sholder). She keeps it cut, I don't think she wants long hair but it is always shiny and purty. Now the last girl I had wore a weave that was a mess but did a really good relaxer, she always wanted to CUT my hair.

leleepop

I know several stylist with long hair here in Texas. I also know many with cute short cuts. Some who always change, tryin something different. I agree that if their appearance where jacked up it would be a turnoff. I guess Im saying just because you have a short style doesnt mean you cant grow long hair. If your opinions were based soley on length and color choice you would be setting yourself up. I also dont think just because someone has long hair knows how to grow hair and/or willing to give you the tools to get yours growing and keep it there.

I think each individual should be cautious of what whomever does to their hair. I only go to the stylist for rollersets and maybe a flatiron when I chose. I dont ask for advice. I have my STYLIST trim when I want also. I dont let anyone rip through with the comb etc. Word of mouth is also good when looking for a good stylist. hth

Last edited:

Joyful1

Never. I wish I had taken the time to really evaluate their hair before I let them do mine. It would have saved me so much time and tears.

bluenude

I remember that I had one stylist with long mid back hair but she never would help me know how to take care of my own hair! every time i asked questions about healthy hair care she acted clueless. i'm now thinking she just wanted me to keep coming back to her and was afraid to give away her 'secrets'