• 7-8 in

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • 8-9 in

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • 9+ inches

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

Sweet Charm

Hey girls I was searching the threads for the average amount of length that was gained in a year and I couldnt find a thread.

So I was wondering if you could remember how many inches you gained (retention not actual growth) last year and if you could vote on the poll, and also why do you think you gained that amount. :drunk:

Last edited:

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
In the first year of my journey when I actually measured my hair I got just over 6" and retained all of them. At the time I was washing 2x a week, DCing with heat each time, wearing PS all the time and not trimming. That was it.

MochaEyeCandy

Last relaxer was February 29th 2008. I bc'd December 8th...last check (March) I had 5-6" of natural hair, so I'm right on track.

BrooklynSouth

Dollie, average growth is 6 inches in a year. You can grow it but the 'trick' :yep:is to retain it-focus on health and protecting your ends. Length will come in time but first you must have a healthy scalp and hair and from your avatar photo you seem on the right track.

chosen07

^^^ I guess I'm average cause in the past 6 months on LHCF, I've had about 3 inches of growth (1/2 inch per month it seems)....

ayoung

JUNE 2008 why didn't i take it w/ a bra on :lol:

APRIL 2009

I'm not sure--but it looks like I was able to retain maybe 2 inches? It has gotten a lot thicker too :yep:

I changed my hair routine to crazy simple
Stopped the bandwagons---just did OCT/MT
Protective styling and or CW

Its crazy when you pull out the old pics b/c I didn't think it had grown that much or had much of a change--but that is why I keep a fotki---to keep me motivated and less hair-anorexic :look:

honeybadgirl

In the first year of my journey when I actually measured my hair I got just over 6" and retained all of them. At the time I was washing 2x a week, DCing with heat each time, wearing PS all the time and not trimming. That was it.

ditto really:yep:
:grin::grin::grin::grin:

locabouthair

JUNE 2008 why didn't i take it w/ a bra on :lol:

APRIL 2009

I'm not sure--but it looks like I was able to retain maybe 2 inches? It has gotten a lot thicker too :yep:

I changed my hair routine to crazy simple
Stopped the bandwagons---just did OCT/MT
Protective styling and or CW

Its crazy when you pull out the old pics b/c I didn't think it had grown that much or had much of a change--but that is why I keep a fotki---to keep me motivated and less hair-anorexic :look:

Great progress!! I think you got more than two inches.

As for me, I haven't gained any. I keep trimming because my hairs damaged:ohwell:I really keep wondering when this length will come.

Denise11

I've been here (on LHCF) for 6 months, and I've gotten 3". So I'm right on time. My hair grows 1/2" per month.

Sweet Charm

ayoung, i also think you got more than two inches too.

Ive been here since january and ive gained about a inch in a half so I gues im kinda on track :)

nikki2229

My last relaxer was in November and I have about 2.5-3 inches of new growth for a little under 6 months. SO I guess I am on target. I am not focused on retention because I am transitioning and can't keep the scissors out of my hand nearly everyday.

LushLox

I gained and retained about 2 inches within the last six months, unfortunately I fell off my routine during November and December so that really set me back - no longer though.

joib

I am just over my 5 month stretch and my hair grew 3". My growth is 6-7 inches per year.

pri

From April 08 to April 09 I got about 5 inches of growth and so far am able to retain it..may not be a lot but I'm excited about it.

I would say I get the average 6 although sometimes I really think I get more than that,, sad part is I get very icky ends and end up trimming at least 2 inches per year so I dont get to keep all of it. I take a daily multi vitamin so that may help normalize hair growth rates and I used to drink Ensure because I have a very crappy diet and dont eat veggies and fruits :nono:. I cant afford the drinks anymore but I make sure to take a multi and extra c. My body hair grows very fast even when Im not eating much so I hope its the same for my scalp hair

Mystic

I used to think I got 4" per year but it looks like it might be 3" or less :lachen::nono:. This is so damn embarrassing, lol, because some people get that in 6 months or less:wallbash:. I don't think I have seen any growth at all since August 08! I feel like venting:wallbash:.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I've gained 6.5 inches since my haircut last year. It's been about 10.5 months which equals .6 of an inch per month. That's right on schedule for me.

brittanynic16

I get a little over 8 inches a year. I'm pretty lucky. Since I finally figured out how to keep the hair on my head it's been taking off. In 10 months I cut 3 inches of hair and still retained 4 inches.

Sweetgirl08

I looked at the poll results and umm....who got 9+ and what are you doing?

ETA: I really don't know how much I retain because at least once a year I get scissor happy.

Last edited:

dachsies_rule!

I don't know how many inches in a year because i just started trying to grow my hair at the end of June last year. Since that time i have retained 5.5 inches, but my hair had some breakage so i don't know how fast it actually grows.

*** Update: After one year i was able to retain 7 inches. ***

Last edited:
my last relaxer was dec 6th and so far, i retained 3 inches since then. right now i have in box braids and i am loving it. the only thing is that they are growing from the roots now and its only been a week and 4 days since i got them put in.so i am wondering how many inches i will get by the end of the year. when i relaxed my hair i, i went to the salon every 2 weeks for a wash, dc and a wrap. my hair grew suoper loooong.

Last edited:

lilwomen20010

My hair grow slow to me..maybe 3-4 inches my sides take a long time I think when I started my hair journey 01/01/09 my sides were 8 inch now today there 11.5 I only dusted maybe 3 times...I hope I wake up one day and my sides are 14 inch thats my goal for 01/01/11..