How long is too long to condition?

shortness

Hello,
I am sitting here with a plastic cap on my head conditioning my hair with some Dominican aloe vera treatment. I have had it on my hair for about 2 hours now. Unfortunately (long story), I am going to have it on for another hour before I can roller set my hair. Anyway, I usually don't have aproblem with conditioning my hair for a long time but after joining this board I am more careful about ANYTHING that I do for my hair. So is there a such thing as conditioning you hair for too long? Thanks!

HoneyDew

Good question. I have often wondered this, as well. SOmetimes, I will ahve to leave the conditioner on because I have to take care of some other things around the house. I am always afraid that my hair will get too soft.

balisi

Leaving conditioner on your hair for a few hours without an external heat source (i.e., hair dryer) should be just fine. I've done this overnight and never had any problems.

Synthia

Just listen to your hair: if it's flat, lacks body and refuses to hold a curl, you'll know you're overconditioning it.

That happened to me when I returned to cw's in fall, but I just switched to a lighter conditioner. I don't really have trouble with deep conditioners,though.

Southernbella.

I sometimes put regular conditioner on my dry hair and use it as a hairdress or a mid-week moisturizer. I've never had a problem. In fact, my breakage is pretty much non-existent now, and I think the conditioner has made the difference.