hair dryers and heat

inthepink

Hello everyone,

I have a question about hair dryers. When I use my hair dryer for a deep conditioning treatment using a plastic cap to cover my hair, is that considered as putting heat on my hair? Or is the plastic cap protecting my hair and creating steam? I hear steam is so much better for your hair than heat so I'm wondering if I'm doing harm by deep conditioning under a dryer or if I'm better off deep conditioning by leaving it in for an hour or two without sitting under a dryer.

elaine

I don't think so. The deep conditioner is for penetrating the cuticle of the hair while wet. I think the term putting heat on the hair refers to when you use curling irons, flat irons, etc. on dry hair.

inthepink

Another quick question...
I am very unsure about hair mayo conditioners. I am afraid of the protein - though I know it can help help, I also hear too much can be harmful. Is this something to worry about with hair mayo? How should I deep condition with using Hair Mayo (by Africa's Best). Would it be dangerous to sit under the dryer with it? Very nervous b/c I already have breakage from a bad relaxer but would like "some" protein to prevent more breakage.

Feel stuck between a rock and hard place...

CaramelKiss

I don't know about hair mayo, but why don't u give Nexxus Keraphiy a try? It isn't hard core protein treatment and u don't need to sit under a dryer to use it just follow up with a deep conditioner after u use it.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I have read that if you turn the dryer up on the highest setting while doing your conditioner, then you will do slight damage to your hair. It is optimal to use moderate/medium heat when conditioning.

inthepink

Thanks for the information! I have only used the "low" setting on my dryer. Even that one seems pretty hot. I plan on buying a steamer in september!
I'm going to try the hair mayo since I aleady bought it. Leave it in for a bit and then follow up with a deep conditioner.
Thanks for the replies!
Supergirl, you have gorgeous hair!!! So much fullness! Do you have an album? I'd love to see what protective styles you wear!