how long does it take to reach WL?

IMFOCSD

For instance if you started your hhj when you were SL, how long did it take to get to WL?

Im just guessing but...2 years? Does that sound reasonable? I know some women can do it in a year.

lamaria211

Umm for me I think from bc to ws about 4 to 5 yrs (i hope) its taken me 2 yrs to get from 1" of hair to apl so im guessing another 2-3 more yrs til WL

danniegirl

it depends on how much your hair grows and how much you retain

i use this formula of where i should be and how long it may take me to get there if all is going well

here is a poor estimated example:

measure from nap to waist = 20in

i grow a half of inch a month .5

20/.5 =40

40/12(number of months in a year)

40/12=3.33

so it should take me over 3 years to get 20 inches of hair if i am consistent with my retention

KurlyNinja

I'm not waist length but I'm giving myself a good four years. Last relaxer was march 2010. So I'm hoping by beginning of 2014 I'll be waist. And I will most likely be BSL/MBl by beginning/mid 2013

luckiestdestiny

see below my post and follow the timeline of pics. From shoulder... that was a year and 2 months to almost waist (I was about an inch to two inches from waist and cut to shoulder...I was leaning I'll admit lol because I was so upset I just cut my hair back to shoulder. Second pic no leaning, straight up). Also that growth included small one inch cuts (about two inches of cuts) in that time frame as I was trying to get out layers.

Currently at hip if I'll stop using my scissors I can get to my next goal lol.

luckiestdestiny

BTW I'd like to add it's not a race. Get there in your own time. I could say two years is acceptable for some (but it may not be for a slow grower). Also you have to take into account height (though I've found there's very little difference between average height and tall women unless they have long torsos, as the height is in the legs). There was one thread where people compared the length to their waists and the taller women were close to the 5'4-5'5 women when someone concluded that point (that seems so obvious now but at the time, everyone was baffled).

I'm 5'5 (or 5'4 3/4 in reality) with average waist (I thought I was short until I measured). So it's best to just gauge your growth (and retaining) rate in order to find out your time frame. If you're a fast grower you're going to get there faster than most.

Last edited:

SmileyNY

For instance if you started your hhj when you were SL, how long did it take to get to WL?

Im just guessing but...2 years? Does that sound reasonable? I know some women can do it in a year.

Considering the average person's hair grows about 6 inches per year... to make it to WL from SL in just 2 years would mean that there's only 1 foot between that persons shoulders and waist. I'm pretty short (5'2") and there's definitely more than 12 inches from my shoulders to waist. If you factor in light trims, I think about 3 years is closer to average.

Last edited:

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
Like the other ladies said, it probably depends on height, retention and where you started your HHJ from.

I'm 5'9 and started a little pass my shoulders. I think I'll be WL by December so for me it will be 2 1/2 years.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I suspect it will be a solid 3 (probably 4 for full WL) years for me. I'm on year 2 touching bottom of bsl.

Last edited:

Triniwegian

I am at MBL and you can tell by my ticker how long I have been natural.
For me, it has taken forever and I an not even there yet.

Leesh

Everyone would be different.

For me, Ima slow grower at .33 per month, 1 inch every 3 and 4 inches a year...I think from SL to WL on me at 5"11" tall would be like 12 to 15 inches, Im jus guessin. So that would be about 3 years, and thats if I retain every single solitary strand...

Tiye

For me 5-6 years past shoulder length. This is not a race. Just repping for the slow growers coz I don't want someone to see this thread and think it's impossible if they don't go from baldie to waist length in 2-3 years. If your growth rate is slow just be patient. You'll get there.

IMFOCSD

Thanks for responding ladies...everyone made very good points. I am now slightly pass apl and am gonna consistently ps my hair all this month to see how much I retain. I have never measured the amount of hair I retain. Hopefully I can make bsl before this year is up.

I have not set a goal of wl at all but I was just curious lol....i prefer baby steps.

SmilingElephant

When i was relaxed it took me 2 yrs to go from almost APL to waist length.

Im 5'8. With a somewhat short torso. Im mostly legs.

Sent from my N860 using LHCF

IMFOCSD

When i was relaxed it took me 2 yrs to go from almost APL to waist length.

Im 5'8. With a somewhat short torso. Im mostly legs.

Sent from my N860 using LHCF

SmilingElephant I remember when you were relaxed....you have beautiful hair relaxed and natural :yep:

Im about 5'5 and sometimes i feel that my back is long if that makes since lol...but i think i should focus on one goal at a time to keep from becoming discouraged.

Ogoma

It is 22 inches to WL for me so if WL was my goal, it would be closer to 4 years with trims and an average growth rate. I have no fixed length goals. I have styling goals and I will let my hair grow at a pace and to a length it wants.

luckiestdestiny

Thanks for responding ladies...everyone made very good points. I am now slightly pass apl and am gonna consistently ps my hair all this month to see how much I retain. I have never measured the amount of hair I retain. Hopefully I can make bsl before this year is up.

I have not set a goal of wl at all but I was just curious lol....i prefer baby steps.

I think that's a good plan. It's what I did when I cut back to shoulder to get to waist (my ends were nicely tucked 99% of the time and my hair was braided up and away)...because I wanted to get there as fast as possible (as I was ready to move forward to my next goals and the set back of a trim with thining sheers was NOT cool (surprise stylist) and I needed to get out those layers.
It really helped to protective style...as you'll get there a lot faster than if you're constantly manipulating and in the hair IMO

luckiestdestiny

Hey for those who've made waist how about we give inches from shoulder to waist (to compare) with height...and how repeat how long it took again. That way it may help others to gauge the difference in height (whether this is illusive or if height is mostly in the legs) or if it's pretty similar (distance) for those at 5'4 and taller

IMFOCSD

I think that's a good plan. It's what I did when I cut back to shoulder to get to waist (my ends were nicely tucked 99% of the time and my hair was braided up and away)...because I wanted to get there as fast as possible (as I was ready to move forward to my next goals and the set back of a trim with thining sheers was NOT cool (surprise stylist) and I needed to get out those layers.
It really helped to protective style...as you'll get there a lot faster than if you're constantly manipulating and in the hair IMO

Hey for those who've made waist how about we give inches from shoulder to waist (to compare) with height...and how repeat how long it took again. That way it may help others to gauge the difference in height (whether this is illusive or if height is mostly in the legs) or if it's pretty similar (distance) for those at 5'4 and taller

luckiestdestiny thanks for the encouragement, I honestly wondered if PSing would matter in how long it takes to reach goals...like PSing vs not PSing...and thats a great idea at the bold. :)

DrC

it depends on how much your hair grows and how much you retain

i use this formula of where i should be and how long it may take me to get there if all is going well

here is a poor estimated example:

measure from nap to waist = 20in

i grow a half of inch a month .5

20/.5 =40

40/12(number of months in a year)

40/12=3.33

so it should take me over 3 years to get 20 inches of hair if i am consistent with my retention

:rofl: :rofl: that made me laugh. This seems like a fair estimate to me.

If you get

1/2 an inch per month that would mean you will get 18 inches in 3 years.

1/2 inch x 36 months = 18 inches

Now, to hit 20 inches in 3 years, your growth rate needs to be accelerated to more than .5 inches a month.

You will only need to be getting .556 a month (give or take) to get about 20 inches. I think that would be easy to hit.

Height may also play a major role to hit WSL OP.

Last edited:

Guinan

Re-Branding
That's a good question. I often wondered this? I have never been WL (Always BSL). It's taken me 11 months to get to almost APL. My starting hair length was ear length in the front and shaved alittle in the back. So I'm thinking by next year I should be MBL (I hope). However, my hair seems to slow down with growing once I hit BSL.