How long did it take for you to "get" it ?

InBloom

In my new-growth
I was at home the other day, fussing in the mirror with how my hair was looking, right? I did a self diagnosis - of course it was time to chelate. Ok cool.

Before that day, there was another one recently when I was messing with my hair and all frowned up because I saw too many shed hairs in the sink. I know what to do....tea rinse. Ok cool.

There have been other little times with my hair when I've seen a problem and been able to simply treat and resolve whatevertheproblemoftheday happens to be.

It occurred to me that I finally "get" my hair. Wasn't long ago when I would use a new conditioner or product of some type and not really know if it worked well. Even if it did, I wouldn't know how to reproduce my end results at a later time. Had no clue.

I wish I'd found information on hair 20 years ago. Better late than never though. It's probably taken about a year for me to actually be able to "tell" what's going on with my hair. Now, I've just got to master the information for health and length.

So...how long did it take you, and when did you realize you were "getting" it?

Pompous Blue

I wish I'd found information on hair 20 years ago. Better late than never though. It's probably taken about a year for me to actually be able to "tell" what's going on with my hair. Now, I've just got to master the information for health and length.

So...how long did it take you, and when did you realize you were "getting" it?
It took me about a year to "get" my hair, too, and also nail down my reggie. I'm loving it....my hair and I are one!

chesleeb

Well I am 2yrs natural and no I haven't "got it" but I am getting it! You have stop and listen to your hair. I used to be the on YT look at kimmaytube and others and trying their approach but u know with hair its not one size fits all. My hair up now yes now after 2yrs starting to grow and with what u ask grease and glovers mane. Just think I spent hundreds on hair products and etc... You will get it!

Ijanei

Took me about a year after joining to finally "get it". I was trying to many products in the beginning, that it would grow, but not healthy. See through ends with long strands. I see all I had to do was keep it simple and basic, stick with the same products and just let my hair do what it does. I finally made it to full apl

SherylsTresses

I never could figure out my relaxed hair. :ohwell: Learning my natural hair was a breeze bc of this forum, but styling is another issue. :perplexed

lilyofthenile

My hair is still pretty much a mystery to me. I guess it's because before I didn't know if my hair drying out hours after moisturising it was normal or not. Now I know it isn't so normal and I've got the moisturising my hair area covered with something which is finally working.

I'm still struggling when it comes to a lot of other things in my hair care regimen even though I've been taking care of my hair for over a year. It's really not easy for me. I'm not 'getting it' all the way, but I always tell myself Rome wasn't build in a day.

It's a struggle, some people find their way faster than others, but this hair journey sure is rewarding and a wonderful learning experience.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
I'm aaaalllllmost there. I finally figured out how to make my Ayurvedic proucts smell nice for my hubby. I'm still working on a permanent reggie though. Just had a setback from teapooing, and I think my hair likes cowashing way better. I'm workin on it....it's a process!

nadiacurly

Hello it took me almost 2 years before i understood my hair.. I've tried everything.. But my staple are aubrey honeysuckle conditioner, miss jessies creme de la curl, creme de la creme and deep recovery treatment. Organic product just don't do it for me because my hair is chemically treated (bleach)

nadiacurly

I went from BSL to hip length in 2 years...

InBloom

In my new-growth
I haven't mastered anything, but I feel more empowered about fixing some of my hair problems successfully. Used to be frustrating with attempting to solve hair problems with randomly purchased products that didn't work.

I protein overloaded myself to the point of having to chop off my hair down to a pixie cut years ago. Cried for days. Never again. I love the fact that I can have deliberate "good hair days" when I use key products.

Working on narrowing down staples to those that are tried and true.

classoohfive

Every time I think I get it, I found out I don't lol. It took me about a year to be comfortable with what I was doing and almost get it. I'm comfortable with most things I do to it but I think I'm missing something.

nadiacurly

Hello hahaha liked the 'run on the beach with it'

My reggie?
I wash my hair ones a week with miss jessies creme de la curl. I use my creme de la creme as a leave in.. But before i do this i steam with aubrey organics honeysuckle conditioner for 20 minutes.. After that i rinse it out and use the miss jessies recovery treatment and let it sit in for 2 minutes.. After that i rinse again.. As last i put A handfull of creme de la creme.. Come my hair and put it in a bun.
I tried almost everything.. Only stuff full of silicone help me to grow my hair..
Hope it was clear .. I'm from holland (originally from morocco) so my english could be a bit 

tolly

It took 14months for me to get it. I think having limited access to 'good products' helped. I didn't get the opportunity to be a PJ, hence I learnt how to make the best of what I have quickly....if 14months counts as quick. I don't have a regimen, I know when I need to wash, DC, baggy etc. At last!

nzeee

i don't totally get it yet. about 14mth into my HJ as well but some things are still a little mysterious. i'm still trying to figure out how much shedding is right for me etc (i've always shed a lot but not certain if it's just me or what i'm using or doing. my hair never looks any different tho so :perplexed)

anyhoo, i'm still learning. i have some things down and now that i'm finally grazing apl from neck i feel like i must have learnt a few things but i can't effectively self-diagnose yet.

someday :) soon i hope.

nadiacurly

Dear nzeee

In some periods i shed more than normal...wat helps me to stop the shedding (minimize) is Vichy Dercos Pro..I dont know if they sell it also in america..but it is one big hype here in Europe.

KurlyNinja

I finally "get" my hair too. Its taken forever it feels like. Plus the fact that I had to transition and learn my hair all over again. My hair is at its best when its moisturized and sealed and just left the *** alone. I've melted my product list down to about 3 or 4 products and thats it.

Although I feel like the longer my hair gets I'm going to have to relearn my hair all over again...:ohwell:

MeowMix

Great ? OP. When I look at my join date and then at my siggy I know its taken me a while;). I had to read SistaSlicks protein article about 4x before I figured it out. Then, I finally understood porosity. In the last 1 1/2 years think I have finally got my hair.

HHJ everyone

Last edited:

InBloom

In my new-growth
Great ? OP. When I look at my join date and then at my siggy I know its taken me a while;). I had to read SistaSlicks protein article about 4x before I figured it out. Then, I finally understood porosity. In the last 1 1/2 years think I have finally got my hair.

HHJ everyone

I've read some of Sistaslick's articles as well. My favorite being the one on self relaxing. I had to read it a few times before it sank in. HHJ!

InBloom

In my new-growth
I'm aaaalllllmost there. I finally figured out how to make my Ayurvedic proucts smell nice for my hubby. I'm still working on a permanent reggie though. Just had a setback from teapooing, and I think my hair likes cowashing way better. I'm workin on it....it's a process!
MrsJaiDiva what is "teapooing?"

InBloom

In my new-growth
It took 14months for me to get it. I think having limited access to 'good products' helped. I didn't get the opportunity to be a PJ, hence I learnt how to make the best of what I have quickly....if 14months counts as quick. I don't have a regimen, I know when I need to wash, DC, baggy etc. At last!
I'm the same as you because I don't have a regimen either, per se. I wash or cowash consistently the same each week, but conditioning sessions, HOTS, special rinses, protein, etc. happens when I think my hair is asking for them.

InBloom

In my new-growth
I finally "get" my hair too. Its taken forever it feels like. Plus the fact that I had to transition and learn my hair all over again. My hair is at its best when its moisturized and sealed and just left the *** alone. I've melted my product list down to about 3 or 4 products and thats it.

Although I feel like the longer my hair gets I'm going to have to relearn my hair all over again...:ohwell:
How did you whittle your stash down to 4 products with all the yummy stuff out there? I've long since given up on even using one line exclusively, much less only 4 products total. You must really have your haircare routine tight.

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I never figured out my relaxed hair, but I've figured out my natural hair in about a year and a half post BC. K.I.S.S. is the key for me. I spend $20 or less per month on hair care :) I keep styling simple, too. Wash n goes or Puff styles...works for me.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
MrsJaiDiva what is "teapooing?"

Teapooing is making a tea from different herbs and using it to wash your hair(aka making your own herbal shampoo from teas). I'd throw a few spoonfuls of Dr. Bronners in my mix, and my hair would come out really soft and nice...but smelly. :nono: No one appreciated the smell but me. But this last shikakai cowash has been a great revelation...and I got it to smell awesome using some cinnamon cassia, ylang ylang, and some patchouli...and my hair is still feeling soft and moist a few days later. Finally, a win! :yay:

Now onto fixing this thinning in my crown, and finding a protective style that worked for my oddly loose curly hair. :ohwell:

candy626

I'm still gettin it, but all and all I've learned that:
1) lower manipulation works for me (but not too low), 2) my hair enjoys being in a semi-stretched state, 3) i need to watch the moisture/protein balance in my hair, 4) I have to limit direct heat styling, 5) my ends need to be dusted on a monthly basis.

NewHairWOWeave

I am Just now after 6-7 months getting it. I knew a little before the board. But now that I have done my own research, I can determine what my hair needs (for the most part). Im still struggling with moisture/protien balance but I think I have an idea how to do this..

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
It took me a while, because I was doing too many things at the same time; oscillating between natural and relaxed and being a total PJ. Honestly it's taken about 4 years, but at least now I really know my hair and how to keep it happy, both natural and relaxed :yep: Styling is another story though :lol: