How has Pregnancy affected your hair growth? Poll inside

What changes in you hair did you experience during pregnancy?

• My hair grew faster than normal

Votes: 21 47.7%
  • My hair became thicker

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Other (i.e. dryness, texture change) please explain

Votes: 13 29.5%
  • No change

Votes: 6 13.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

4bslbound

Never been pregnant...but I just wanted to come in and say :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :bouncy: :bouncy: CONGRATS!!!!
AWW, THANKS HUN!!!!

My hair has always grown at a fast rate but when I was pregnant it grew like crazy. I retained all of my length and I didn't experience any post pregnancy shedding that was noticeable.

Congrats OP!!! I loved being preggo.

Thanks! And that is amazing. I hope to have a similar report.

With both kiddies, I got ridiculous growth spurts and my hair was much thicker than it already is - happens to most people as shedding stops for the most part during pregnancy. But with both, I also had postpartum shedding. All of those hairs that weren't shed for 9 months start to come out. So, your hair is playing a little "catch up" so to speak. My hair is getting back to its normal thickness, but not thinner than it was before.

My texture has loosened up quite a bit during both pregnancies. But at the same time, I have gotten more length, so the weight of my hair could be pulling on the curl pattern a bit more.

I retained my length, but did recently do a trim, so I'm approaching WL. [/QUOTE]

Another awesome testimony, lol

Congrats on your pregnancy! During pregnancy my hair was fine. But after.... check out my siggy!

Oh my, so did you have alot of breakage? I can tell it grew quite a bit, but there seems to be uneveness possibly caused by breakage. If so, did you suffer dryness postpartum?

4bslbound

With both kiddies, I got ridiculous growth spurts and my hair was much thicker than it already is - happens to most people as shedding stops for the most part during pregnancy. But with both, I also had postpartum shedding. All of those hairs that weren't shed for 9 months start to come out. So, your hair is playing a little "catch up" so to speak. My hair is getting back to its normal thickness, but not thinner than it was before.

My texture has loosened up quite a bit during both pregnancies. But at the same time, I have gotten more length, so the weight of my hair could be pulling on the curl pattern a bit more.

I retained my length, but did recently do a trim, so I'm approaching WL.

You have cute kiddos, by the way!

ojemba

Another question, does everyone experience postpartum shedding. Or since every pregnancy is different, it varies?

I have 3 children my last is 5 months and I've not had post shedding (knock on wood). I lhcf at the beginning of my last pregnancy and started stretching and psing because I didn't want to relax while pregnant. My hair is thick and healthy. I am bad at taking pills but I try to take my prenatal pills every now and then.

kbragg

Breastfed all of mine but dang it the little growth spurt is nothing compared to the shedding.:nono: I have genetically thin edges anyway so once the shedding kicks in my hairline disappears. It was worse this time than last (I posted a thread on here somewhere.) If you have a naturally thick, full hairline you may be alright but be prepared to wig/weave it out for a while or do a comb over if your hairline is naturally thin. I'm in braids right now and added some MSM powder to my braid spray and am seeing some recovery already:yep:

Hersheygurl

During my pregnancy with DD, my hair definitely seemed to grow faster. I did take pre-natals though as well as eat healthier than I ever had before. My hair was thicker and so glossy. During the last trimester, my crown became super coarse, while the rest of my hair seemed to loosen in texture.

Right around 3 months PP, I dealt with the dreaded shedding and thinning at my temples. Castor oil fixed that right up though.

Jewell

When I as carrying DD (she is almost 3, a July baby), my hair grew MEGA fast and yet the texture seemed softer. I took prenatals, lots of folic acid (a lifetime thing for me since I'm anemic), and I was in and out of the hospital a lot due to viral infections and complications...so the IV fluids, oxygen, and diet in the hospital (much healthier and more wholesome than at home b/c I had bad morning sickness and couldn't keep much down at home) could have had an effect on hair as well.

I rested a LOT, and I was on bedrest for the last month of my pregnancy. The worst part was fatigue and constant nausea during my entire pregnancy, but the hair growth I got was bananas! I got cornrows with extensions at 5 mos pregg and had to take them out in 3 wks b/c my hair was growing OUT of the braids literally, pieces of hair since it was cut short at the time were growing out of the extensions.

I didn't have much PP shedding, but I did notice thinning at my temples. This could be due to me wearing scarves/head wraps almost constantly, or it could be due to hormones. I chopped my hair to 3-4" TWA June '08 in the labor & delivery suite bathroom before I had DD (was stuck in L&D wit docs trying induction for nearly 2 wks--DD did not wanna come out, lol...finally had C-section), then I was full APL by Nov; the PP hair woes did not hit me, thank goodness! :spinning:

Last edited:

creolebombshell

During both my pregnancies I stopped relaxing. My hair was thick and long .Everyone kept saying I was having boys because my hair grew so much but, I ended up having girls....I'm not sure I believe that girls take your beauty and boys give you beauty.....I waited 6mths to 8mths to start relaxing again because I know pospartum shedding could take to 6mths but, with both girls I had two small thining spots on the side of my temples.

4bslbound

Breastfed all of mine but dang it the little growth spurt is nothing compared to the shedding.:nono: I have genetically thin edges anyway so once the shedding kicks in my hairline disappears. It was worse this time than last (I posted a thread on here somewhere.) If you have a naturally thick, full hairline you may be alright but be prepared to wig/weave it out for a while or do a comb over if your hairline is naturally thin. I'm in braids right now and added some MSM powder to my braid spray and am seeing some recovery already:yep:

I saw that thread and I admit, it was a little scary. It was part of what got me thinking about this. I want to be prepared for the worst but informed about any preventive measures I can take.

I will see what breastfeeding will do since I was gonna do that anyway!

Kamilla16

This thread is RIGHT on time! I'm almost 5 weeks pregnant and due in December! I suffered a m/c in Oct. 2010 so I'm very nervous, not to mention I'll be graduating from RN school next month :) anyhoo... I was going to add that my hair and nails are growing like weeds!!! Maybe I will reach bsl this year!

4bslbound

When I as carrying DD (she is almost 3, a July baby), my hair grew MEGA fast and yet the texture seemed softer. I took prenatals, lots of folic acid (a lifetime thing for me since I'm anemic), and I was in and out of the hospital a lot due to viral infections and complications...so the IV fluids, oxygen, and diet in the hospital (much healthier and more wholesome than at home b/c I had bad morning sickness and couldn't keep much down at home) could have had an effect on hair as well.

I rested a LOT, and I was on bedrest for the last month of my pregnancy. The worst part was fatigue and constant nausea during my entire pregnancy, but the hair growth I got was bananas! I got cornrows with extensions at 5 mos pregg and had to take them out in 3 wks b/c my hair was growing OUT of the braids literally, pieces of hair since it was cut short at the time were growing out of the extensions.

I didn't have much PP shedding, but I did notice thinning at my temples. This could be due to me wearing scarves/head wraps almost constantly, or it could be due to hormones. I chopped my hair to 3-4" TWA June '08 in the labor & delivery suite bathroom before I had DD (was stuck in L&D wit docs trying induction for nearly 2 wks--DD did not wanna come out, lol...finally had C-section), then I was full APL by Nov; the PP hair woes did not hit me, thank goodness! :spinning:

In five months! wow, well congrats on your retention!

4bslbound

This thread is RIGHT on time! I'm almost 5 weeks pregnant and due in December! I suffered a m/c in Oct. 2010 so I'm very nervous, not to mention I'll be graduating from RN school next month :) anyhoo... I was going to add that my hair and nails are growing like weeds!!! Maybe I will reach bsl this year!

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Don't be nervous sweetie. Of course, you will be nervous to some extent, but place it in God's hands.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! 2011 is the year of the babies!!!!
May God bless your pregnancy:)

msmarc1

My hair grew thicker and faster, but the new growth was so dry. If I had it to do over again, I would have stopped relaxing because the relaxer did not seem to take. Post partum shedding started (for me) started about 3 months after the baby was born and slowed down around 6 months or so. Unfortunately, I also had a lot of breakage so I cut my hair really short, but now it's back around neck length.

aa9746

I stopped the msm because of the pregnancy. I wonder if it passes through to the milk, if so it will be a while before I start back taking it.

DMarie

congrats on the baby. with my first, a girl, my hair grew faster and stopped shedding so it ended up really thicker than usual. Although I don't shed much anyway and it has a nice density. With this pregnancy I was able to get to mbl. I was bsl before the pregnancy and trimmed throughout my pregnancy. I had my daughter and had my dream hair for a few months. But let me say that my scalp got really sensitive and I returned to relaxing to early after giving birth and got a chemical burn. That was 2 months postpartum. My hair started to shed really bad, so much so that it clogged my shower. I was so tired from taking care of my baby that I didn't care for my hair too though so maybe that played into the fall out. With my second pregnancy (which began 8 months after having my daughter) , I was pregnant with a boy and my hair seemed to grow normally. I wasn't impressed at all nor was I looking for it really since I was so busy and tired. I did get some shedding afterwards but nothing like my first pregnancy. Probably because it didn't grow as much. I eventually tried to purchase some garlic shampoo but couldn't find it and I think I ended up getting some garlic pills after having my son which may have helped. So, I would suggest you get the shampoo or the pills before having the baby. My hair was mbl for only a short while due to the shedding and lack of care. Almost over night my hair was back to bsl and I started cutting it and lost focus/ my goal of growing it out......I guess my priorities shifted.

hth's.

dmarie