How do you work with new texture after a relaxer?

Courtney

Hello Ladies!
I was looking through a magazine and saw this girls curly hair and it was absolutely beautiful! I know that obviously, that was her natural texture, but I heard alot about curls and waves in relaxd hair without curling irons. Lately I've been getting really sick of my straight hair (I constantly need new style options) and have wanted a more low-maintenance natural look to work with. How do you get the new hair texture (you know, how your hair is when it's wet once you've had your hair relaxed)to make the pretty curls n' such without frying my hair? What products do I use and what tools do I need to use them? John Frieda, Frederic Fekkai, whatever works, tell me and I'll be out to the drugstore in ten minutes. Brownrelaxed, your hair looked really pretty in your photos, did you just spray or what did you have to do to get hair like that?

The Fekkai Wave Spray works best for me. Paul Mitchell Sculpting Foam also works pretty well for me but it takes a lot more work; I have have to use a blow dryer with a diffuser and scrunch a whole lot more.

Courtney

Wlcome to the board.
There are ways to get the waves like twist or braid outs. It simply means braiding the hair whilst damp put some product in it and the next day undoing the hair which gives it a real wavy look. I've done the same with twists by the effect of the braids is a lot better. Page Adrienne on the board i think she had some pictures up of a braid out of hers on here somehwere. It looked very nice.

Whether you can do the wash and go (W&G) curl thing with a relaxer dependson your hair's natural texture as well as the strength/time your relaxer was left on. If your hair texture naturally is a "Z" pattern, you will not be able to achieve this look through wash and go. If your stylist has relaxed all the curl out of your hair, you probably won't be able to do the W&G. I have a small "S" pattern, but my previously relaxed hair had been straightened to death, so I joke that when my hair gets wet it is simply wet and doesn't go to curly. If I want that look I must do a braid set. However if your hair has a natural "S" pattern and your stylist has not given you a "BONE" straight relaxer then you can do several things. My best friend simply uses Pink Oil Moisturizer on her damp hair and scrunches it and lets it airdry.

HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hey Courtney,

I use John Freida's Ripple Effect Spray. After the hair is washed and conditioned, I first apply Kiehls Silk Groom throughout the hair down to the tips. This is important to use because without it I get less defined waves and more frizz. Then I spritz the RE spray all over, scrunching handfuls of hair as I spray. I scrunch alot, esp. down to the ends. I let the hair air dry outdoors (I do this style on hot summer days)so it only takes an hour of being in the sun to dry enough. During that hour though, I'm constantly scrunching the hair still, encouraging it to dry with waves.

At nights I use a scrunchy to loosely secure the hair and tie with a satin scarf. In the morning I slightly re wet the hair and re-scrunch and go. If necessary,I'll spritz a bit more RE too. Its lasts 2 days. 3 at most then it has to be re done/washed out.

HTH. For alot of girls this product didn't work but for me, I'm happy with it for now. The Kiehls is important to use though.

My hair is naturally curly and if I get caught in rain, it starts to curl/wave.

Back