How do you trim?

inthepink

I've noticed that most times when I go to a stylist to get my hair trimmed, they pull all of my hair down my back and trim straight across. Then they're done.

Other times I've gone to stylists to get my hair trimmed and they trim it layer by layer...meaning, they part my hair in the back and trim, part another section and trim, part another section and trim....and so on and so on. Then once all complete, they make sure it's even.

I prefer the second method b/c it ensures that no hairs are left untrimmed. (i.e. hairs closest to my neck) I'm curious to know how people here get their hair trimmed and which method they prefer.

Sometimes stylists don't understand what I mean when I tell them to trim "underneath." So, they'll lift my hair up and do one part and trim and that's it. My hair stays a lot healthier and fuller if I do the second option consistently.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Hmmmm...

I've seen it done both ways. I've been most susceptible to scissor happiness with the 2nd method. On my last trim, the stylist used the 1st method.

I guess if your hair is pretty even (not layered) then the first method is cool

JazzAngel

Since I am natural I make small plait and simply trim the ends. I dislike beautisians (sp) so I will never go to them to have my hair cut or relaxed or styled.

Nina_deF

My husband trims my hair straight across, this is the CHEAP method!
When I go to a stylist I want it trimmed layer by layer!

Destanee

I twist and trim a little off each twist.
I don't care about it being even because I don't wear my hair straight.

myco

I dust and hunt. For the most part I am already at my goal, so every 3 months or so, I get the ends dusted if I think the "line" of my hair is off. I let my mom or my sister do it since they know how picky I am. In between those times, I just go through and section pieces of my hair and hunt for split ends. If I find one, I cut the split end off of that strand. I find that twisting the sections and looking at it makes them easier to spot.

Cleo

[ QUOTE ]
My husband trims my hair straight across, this is the CHEAP method!
When I go to a stylist I want it trimmed layer by layer!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nina my husband trims my hair also!
...when I'm in the mood I dust my layers if they need it.

Honi

There is no board.
Speaking of trims, today I'm going to my cousins stylist to get a sorta "style" for a wedding. I want a swept bang...that's it. I couldn't sleep because of the very thought of sitting in a stylists chair because the first thing out of her mouth will be that I need a trim. Absolutely not. I needed a touch up so I asked my cousin what her stylist uses. Know what she said? "I don't know, she comes out with the relaxer in a bowl but I don't care because it makes my hair straight!" Can you believe that?

Red flag went up at this point. So what I have decided to do was put on my "[** potty mouth **] boots" with Supergirl in spirit and tell her exactly what I WANT
I know this is gonna be a battle but I will walk out of there if she doesn't obey.

Wish me luck!

inthepink

Good for you! I always have a hard time explaining that I want my hair trimmed layer by layer. I worry that if i use the word "layer" they'll think I want LAYERS but I just want a full-coverage trim!

Eyvonne7131

I like the second option as well, however I see more length when I do the first option. Now that my boyfriend does my trims he does the first option straight across. When I reach my hair goal I will probably let my stylist do the second option to give it an even fuller look...thanks for posting this, I often wondered why my hair look a bit different for each trim.