how do you prep hair for extensions (havanna twist)

Ci1988

I recently went to the Dominican salon to get my hair wash and trimmed. The salon performed a blow out. I want to know if its bad to put braids in your hair while its kind of in a fragile state. How do you guys prep your hair for a protective style? Im sorry if there is another thread about this.

ForumRunner_20130506_130108.jpg

FearlessNik

No offense. But why would you want to get your hair straight just to turn around and put it in braids/ protective style?

londonfog

I recently went to the Dominican salon to get my hair wash and trimmed. The salon performed a blow out. I want to know if its bad to put braids in your hair while its kind of in a fragile state. How do you guys prep your hair for a protective style? Im sorry if there is another thread about this.

View attachment 207923

About a week before my braids, I did a moisturizing DC. Then the day before I put them in, I poo'd & did heavy protein DC then followed up with another moisturizing DC & let it air dry.

danniegirl

i usually just make sure its clean, deep conditioned and well moisturized then i use something heavy to seal it my last set of braids i used beeswax and loved it but i have used ghee, crisco. sheabutter and castor oil as a heavy sealant.

Ci1988

About a week before my braids, I did a moisturizing DC. Then the day before I put them in, I poo'd & did heavy protein DC then followed up with another moisturizing DC & let it air dry.

Okay thank you. I did a protein treatment and deep condition a week before this blow out. The day I got the blow I got it washed and deep conditioned again. I want to know if I could put braids in it while its straight. Ive never wore extensions ive worn my natural texture. I heard that african braiders prefer you to have straight hair cuz its eAsier to manage . Im just a lil hesitant and want a second opinion cuz not alot of african braiders are familiar with natural hair.

Ci1988

i usually just make sure its clean, deep conditioned and well moisturized then i use something heavy to seal it my last set of braids i used beeswax and loved it but i have used ghee, crisco. sheabutter and castor oil as a heavy sealant.

Thank you I appreciate it. Would you recommend that I wash out the straight hair and protein treat it again and deep condition it?

danniegirl

Thank you I appreciate it. Would you recommend that I wash out the straight hair and protein treat it again and deep condition it?

No need to rewash these are big braids i dont think your going to keep them in that long but please seal your hair my experience with afro kinky type here is that its so course it will break our hair off very easy even the softer kind is still rough for fine hair

Ci1988

No need to rewash these are big braids i dont think your going to keep them in that long but please seal your hair my experience with afro kinky type here is that its so course it will break our hair off very easy even the softer kind is still rough for fine hair

Thank you! Ill do just that.

ronie

Ci1988 i am no braid expert, but i agree with people who have said that when you try to moisturize your hair while in the extensions, it will start to revert which will cause lots of freeze, and maybe matting and breakage. I would wash and condition my hair, and stretch it with some braids, rollerset, or curlformers techniques. Maybe a light blow dry on cool hair, just to give you a little stretch, but not flat iron straight hair.
Your straight hair looks great by the way.

Ci1988

Ci1988 i am no braid expert, but i agree with people who have said that when you try to moisturize your hair while in the extensions, it will start to revert which will cause lots of freeze, and maybe matting and breakage. I would wash and condition my hair, and stretch it with some braids, rollerset, or curlformers techniques. Maybe a light blow dry on cool hair, just to give you a little stretch, but not flat iron straight hair.
Your straight hair looks great by the way.

Thank you. I have a roller set with a blow out. My hair is not flat ironed.

hnntrr

I did a long DC before hand then m/s'ed and put them in on slightly damp hair with eco styler to keep them smooth. I noticed breakage when I tried to do it on dry hair so damp hair worked best for me.

But Yeah I DC'ed for like 3 hours the day before made sure to m/s really well then used the scarf method to get the majority of it straight. Then when I went to install I wet my whole head lightly and put the braids in using a water spritz if I felt sections getting to dry.

This past time I did wash them in ACV but if itching bothers you I would...and I will def do that next time.

Ci1988

I did a long DC before hand then m/s'ed and put them in on slightly damp hair with eco styler to keep them smooth. I noticed breakage when I tried to do it on dry hair so damp hair worked best for me.

But Yeah I DC'ed for like 3 hours the day before made sure to m/s really well then used the scarf method to get the majority of it straight. Then when I went to install I wet my whole head lightly and put the braids in using a water spritz if I felt sections getting to dry.

This past time I did wash them in ACV but if itching bothers you I would...and I will def do that next time.

Thanks for the advice hun. Did you wash your hair while in them. I put them in last night. Yay!

SexySin985

OP whatever you decide to do make sure you update this thread with pics of your twists. Please and thank you:yep:

Ci1988

The pic is too bright but from what I can see they look cute. I love that style and wish I could find someone here who actually knows how to do them and for cheap:spinning:

Thank you. Iam sorry about the bright pictures. I learned how to do it myself on youtube. I refuse to go to a salon.