DigitalRain
sengschick
jamelabe
Ms_Kenesha
longhair1
atlantatiffany
dina32
DeltaQT

and other ladies who have (and continue) to use Phytorelaxer with good results. How do you apply your Phyto relaxer?

1. What index do you use/How often do you Phyto?

2. What level/percentage of straightness do you aim to achieve when you Phyto?

3. What do you apply to your hair/scalp before applying Phyto?

4. How do you section your hair to apply the Phyto?

5. How many boxes do you use for a touch-up (or did use for your virgin relaxer)?

6. Where do you begin applying Phyto first on your head?

7. How much do you apply to each section?

8. Do you apply to the top and to the underside of each section?

9. How long does it take you to apply Phyto to your whole head?

10. How do you smooth (with fingers, back of comb, etc.) your hair?

11. How long do you smooth to achieve your desired level of straightness?

12. How do you rinse (how long, and special routines, etc.)?

13. Do you condition or neutralize shampoo after rinsing?

14. If you condition first, what conditioner do you use?

15. If you neutralize first, how do you neutralize (products used, amount of time shampoo left on, number of shampoos, etc.)?

16. What do you do after you finally neutralize?

17. Did you achieve your desired straightness?

18. What was the health and feel of your hair right after Phyto relaxing and a few weeks after Phyto relaxing?

Thanks for your responses!!

Last edited:
1. What index do you use/How often do you Phyto? I use Index I. I touchup approximately every 20 weeks.

2. What level/percentage of straightness do you aim to achieve when you Phyto? About 50-65%

3. What do you apply to your hair/scalp before applying Phyto? I apply the pre-relaxing balm that comes in the kit to my scalp. Then I mix the pre-relaxing balm, Porosity Control Conditioner and Chi Silk Infusion together and apply this mix to protect my already relaxed hair.

4. How do you section your hair to apply the Phyto? I make about 6 sections and secure with clips.

5. How many boxes do you use for a touch-up (or did use for your virgin relaxer)? Since I stretch for about 5 months and get a lot of growth in that time, I use the entire box for a touchup.

6. Where do you begin applying Phyto first on your head? My crown as it is the most unruly.

7. How much do you apply to each section? Enough to do the job I guess... I've never really pay all that much attention to that before...

8. Do you apply to the top and to the underside of each section? Yes, at least I try to, and if it doesn't quite happen when I first apply, I think it does when I smooth....

9. How long does it take you to apply Phyto to your whole head? 9-10 minutes.

10. How do you smooth (with fingers, back of comb, etc.) your hair? I smooth a little at first with the tint brush but then I really smooth with my fingers.

11. How long do you smooth to achieve your desired level of starightness? About 9 minutes total smoothing.

12. How do you rinse (how long, and special routines, etc.)? I use very warm water and try to start with the section I relaxed first but wind up just wanting to get it all out quickly.

13. Do you condition or neutralize shampoo after rinsing? I neutralize

15. If you neutralize first, how do you neutralize (products used, amount of time shampoo left on, number of shampoos, etc.)? I use the neutralizing shampoo that comes in the kit. I lather up and pay close attention to all parts of my scalp. I rinse and repeat until the lather turns white. After it turns white I lather up again and let it sit for 7 minutes. I rinse and lather up one last time and let it sit for 1 minute.

16. What do you do after you finally neutralize? I use an ultra hydrating shampoo (Phytonectar) to restore some moisture before I use Phyto's Milky Reconstructor that comes with the kit. I let the Milky Reconstructor sit in my hair for about 15-20 minutes with a plastic cap on. I rinse it out in the shower and apply a moisturizing conditioner. I let the heat from the shower help it to penetrate and soften my hair, then rinse and detangle.

17. Did you achieve your desired straightness? YES! I am very pleased with the results.

18. What was the health and feel of your hair right after Phyto relaxing and a few weeks after Phyto relaxing? It was beautimous!!! I couldn't even believe it was my own hair. This method has allowed for a very consistent texlaxing results, and Phyto is gentle but effective, leaving my hair with strength and body. This is pic of my hair immediately after my touchup, while I have the Milky Reconstructor in my hair :
IMG_3749-1.jpg

(I also do an ACV rinse a few days prior to my touchup and I think this helps to get a consitent result.)

I use index II and touch up every 8 weeks.

I originally wanted about 60% straightness but my hair never had any curl definition so now it's about 100% straight.

I use the inclosed pre-relaxing balm around my edges.

4 sections

5. How many boxes do you use for a touch-up (or did use for your virgin relaxer)?
I used one box for the virgin relaxer and ½ for touchup.

Where it is most resistent, which for me is on my crown.

I get it done at the salon so I don't really know but there is no difference in amount then to other relaxers.

She applies to the underside which I assume gets soaked through to the top.

My hairdresser takes about 10 minutes for my whole head, it would probablly take me 15 ( I have a huge head).

Fingers

11. How long do you smooth to achieve your desired level of starightness?
She generally barely smooths before it's time to rinse...

When I do it myself it takes forever to rinse out, my hairdresser rinses a couple of times before appling shampoo.

Shampoo twice, condition with the inclosed conditioner, everyother time under heat.

15. If you neutralize first, how do you neutralize (products used, amount of time shampoo left on, number of shampoos, etc.)?

Condition

Always

18. What was the health and feel of your hair right after Phyto relaxing and a few weeks after Phyto relaxing?
Absolutely looovvvely! Smooth, shiny, full of body, I will never try anything else again!

Proud Phyto user since 2000
1. What index do you use/How often do you Phyto? Index 1, every 3-4 months

2. What level/percentage of straightness do you aim to achieve when you Phyto? I'm texlaxed. I don't like my hair to be bone straight, I like some texture at the roots

3. What do you apply to your hair/scalp before applying Phyto? I use the pre-relaxer balm, if I've been scratching I use some good ole vaseline :)

4. How do you section your hair to apply the Phyto? 4 sections.

5. How many boxes do you use for a touch-up (or did use for your virgin relaxer)? 1 box

6. Where do you begin applying Phyto first on your head? the top center and work outward, the sides being last

7. How much do you apply to each section? can't really guage that one.

8. Do you apply to the top and to the underside of each section? just to the top

9. How long does it take you to apply Phyto to your whole head? less than 15 min.

10. How do you smooth (with fingers, back of comb, etc.) your hair? with my fingers, when I do smooth

11. How long do you smooth to achieve your desired level of starightness? just long enough for me to feel the curl pattern releasing

12. How do you rinse (how long, and special routines, etc.)? nothing special just rinse and look in the mirror to check for missed areas.

13. Do you condition or neutralize shampoo after rinsing? neutralize

15. If you neutralize first, how do you neutralize (products used, amount of time shampoo left on, number of shampoos, etc.)? I use the poo that comes with the kit. I think I poo about 4 times, letting it sit for a few minutes after each later.

16. What do you do after you finally neutralize? DC w/heat

17. Did you achieve your desired straightness? yep

18. What was the health and feel of your hair right after Phyto relaxing and a few weeks after Phyto relaxing? soft, no breakage

Last edited:

I use index II. Use depends how my growth goes. I relax when I can't comfortably comb my hair anymore. (that could be 12 or 20 weeks, I just never know.) Since my hair dosen't grow the same length month to month, I've decided to let my hair dictate when I relax and not the calendar.

About 80%. To me thats loose waves when wet, but can easily straighten when rolled or bunned.

I use the balm that comes in the kit around the edges, but I do not base my scalp. (i found it to be a waste of time). I use Porosity Control or whatever acidifying conditioner I have around to the previously relaxed ends.

12 ponytails. (or pigtails..whatever you call them:lol: ) I do separate my nape from everything else because it gets special treatment.

I generally use 1/2 box, I only used a whole box once (because I was very inefficient apparently!)

In the top (crown) because its the wildest part of my head. I never start in the back, and only do my nape every other touchup. Its also always the last thing I do.

wow, dunno? I guestimate by eyeballing what it needs.

all my sections have 4 sides, so I get all of them.

application excluding the nape is about 8 minutes. I always apply on the nape in the last 10 minutes that I have. Thats probably the only screwy thing about my application.

Whatever time I have left:lol: That dosen't count the nape though. If I touchup that area I won't smooth it at all because it dosen't need it.

With me it kind of varies. Phyto seems to depend on how much of the product you use and not strictly by time. I usually do go over a max time by a few minutes though.

Rinsing is always interesting.:lol: I do think I have a bit out of the ordinary routine. I always rinse with warm water. Nothing too hot. the first thing I do is to make sure all the relaxer is out, then I use a water/acv mixture to neutralize for 2-3 minutes.

In the past I would use Porosity Control after rinsing the relaxer. These days I use a 10:1 solution of water and ACV in its place.

14. If you condition first, what conditioner do you use? Used to use Porosity Control but I can now skip it.

I do use the neutralizing shampoo included after the ACV. I do 2 shampoos. more than that is too much using the ACV solution. In the past I would have to do up to 10 shampoos!

I generally do a clear rinse (except this last time, I used cassia) After that I do a mini deep conditioner with a little protien added. I then rinse in cool water.

I think I got a little TOO straight last time, but I also used a lot more product than normal too. (I had to see how well that worked and does it EVER!) Outside of that, I generally always get the level that I want.

I've always loved how my hair felt and acted after relaxing with this relaxer, not only the first time but every time. No other relaxer I've ever used allowed me to keep the body in my hair immediately after relaxing. My hair never feels anemic and feels quite heavy immediately after relaxing.

Thanks for your responses!!Your very welcome!:D

-A

stacy said:
Index 1/twice a year every 7 or 8 months
Just enough so I can flat iron and wear straight when I want. Still have most of my natural curl pattern
nothing
4 sections
I use 1 whole box for my touch ups. I used 2 whole boxes for my virgin.
the crown where it's thickest and the tightest curls, then I move to the back, then the front, then the edges right before I rinse it out
enough to cover the roots
8. Do you apply to the top and to the underside of each section? just the top and then smooth

about 20 minutes
10. How do you smooth (with fingers, back of comb, etc.) your hair?with fingers and a relaxer brush

about 3-5 minutes after it's all on.
12. How do you rinse (how long, and special routines, etc.)? no special method here. I just make sure all traces of relaxer are out before I move to the next step

I use the phyto reconstructor mixed with some cheapie conditioner before I shampoo
the phyto included and VO5 or suave mixed in

rinse, deep condition and style
yep

Soft, shiny, strong, not as full as others claim, I DO miss some of my thickness.

1. What index do you use/How often do you Phyto? Index II
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=1633922&postcount=1

2. What level/percentage of straightness do you aim to achieve when you Phyto? 30% relaxed

3. What do you apply to your hair/scalp before applying Phyto? Nothing.

4. How do you section your hair to apply the Phyto? Into six (three on each side)

5. How many boxes do you use for a touch-up (or did use for your virgin relaxer)? I use an entire box for touch-ups, but I stretch a long time.

6. Where do you begin applying Phyto first on your head? In the back (above the nape, but below the crown); that's where my hair is the most texturized.

7. How much do you apply to each section? Just enough to see it. The more Phyto you use the straighter your hair will be.

8. Do you apply to the top and to the underside of each section? Yes, I divide each section into inch wide strips and apply to both the top and bottom.

9. How long does it take you to apply Phyto to your whole head? Less than 7 minutes

10. How do you smooth (with fingers, back of comb, etc.) your hair? I used the back of my bone comb last time. I will probably do the same next time.

11. How long do you smooth to achieve your desired level of starightness? 4 minutes (the total time the relaxer is on my head is between 11-13 minutes)

12. How do you rinse (how long, and special routines, etc.)? I use the veggie sprayer then apply my protein conditioner and leave it for 2 minutes then rinse w/ ACV-laden water. Next time I will apply neutralizing poo to my length (not NG) before rinsing to keep the rinse water from straightening it.

13. Do you condition or neutralize shampoo after rinsing? Condition w/ protein then neutralize.

14. If you condition first, what conditioner do you use? I used fiberguard last time. I liked it so I will probably do that again.

15. If you neutralize first, how do you neutralize (products used, amount of time shampoo left on, number of shampoos, etc.)? I start w/ an ACV rinse, then neutralize w/ the poo that comes in the box. I leave the poo on for 2-3 minutes then rinse. I repeat until the foam is white; once it's white I do another ACV rinse.

16. What do you do after you finally neutralize? Yet another protein conditioner usually Aphogee two-minute reconstructor.

17. Did you achieve your desired straightness? No. It was too straight. I was aiming for 30% relaxed and I got about 50%. Next time I'll add a little oil to the relaxer.

18. What was the health and feel of your hair right after Phyto relaxing and a few weeks after Phyto relaxing? Right after relaxing it was seemed way too straight. A few days/weeks later I was in :love:

1. What index do you use/How often do you Phyto? Index II/every 18/19 weeks.

2. What level/percentage of straightness do you aim to achieve when you Phyto? Bone Straight

3. What do you apply to your hair/scalp before applying Phyto? Vaseline on my forehead, ears and neck.. Don't use anything on my scalp

4. How do you section your hair to apply the Phyto? I probably make 15/20 sections and use plastic seran wrap to secure. I also move the seran wrap down to where the new growth begins so that I know this is where the relaxer should begin..

5. How many boxes do you use for a touch-up (or did use for your virgin relaxer)? Whole box for a touch-up

6. Where do you begin applying Phyto first on your head? I rotate. If I relax the right side front this touchup then the next touchup I'll relax the left side front and continue that routine for my entire head.

7. How much do you apply to each section? Don't know, just scoop it up.

8. Do you apply to the top and to the underside of each section? No

9. How long does it take you to apply Phyto to your whole head? 25 minutes

10. How do you smooth (with fingers, back of comb, etc.) your hair? Use my fingers w/out gloves..

11. How long do you smooth to achieve your desired level of starightness? Smooth each section with fingers about 3/4 times, do entire head and sometimes have time to repeat..

12. How do you rinse (how long, and special routines, etc.)? I rinse in the kitchen sink until shampoo turns white which can sometimes take 40 minutes...

13. Do you condition or neutralize shampoo after rinsing? Neutralize

15. If you neutralize first, how do you neutralize (products used, amount of time shampoo left on, number of shampoos, etc.)? I use the entire container because I'm using the entire box of relaxer.

16. What do you do after you finally neutralize? Use the conditioner that comes w/the relaxer

17. Did you achieve your desired straightness? Definitely

18. What was the health and feel of your hair right after Phyto relaxing and a few weeks after Phyto relaxing? It feels and looks like I had it professionally done.

Excellent responses! I have one box of Phyto II, but I think I need another box for my virgin relaxer. Last night, I relaxed one small section and I am pleased with the result. I did not think that it would relax my hair straight (about 85-90%), but it did (with enough product applied). Can't wait for more replies!!!

Last edited:
stacy said:
Calling on:
Newflowers
and other ladies who have (and continue) to use Phytorelaxer with good results. How do you apply your Phyto relaxer?

right now, I am not relaxing and will not be doing so again until afte rmy C&G which I think I can take until July or August. However, in the past, I relaxed every 8 weeks using Phyto Index I for 20 minutes.

One of the things I really like about Phyto is that my hair gets very straight without being flat and lifeless.

I used the protectant that comes with the kit. It is so tiny, isn't it? I also do an oil treatment, usually using jojoba with rosemary and peppermint eo the night or two before so this is on my scalp as well.

Four equal sections. I recently read someone discuss using more sections - like dividing the four sections into four more - this seems like it would make relaxing much faster.

Only the ony. For tocuh ups, I only use half of the kit and then the other half the next time.

I apply at the crown and work down and then forward and then do the edges all around

This is kind of a hard question to answer - I just apply it so it is enough. Kind of like when you're cooking making the same recipe you used for years - you just know howmuch of what to put in because you've done it so many times before.

No, I only apply to the top and then move to the next section. There is always enough to cover all of the ahir, especially when smoothing.

About five to seven minutes

With the back of a comb first and then fingers second

From start to finish is twenty minutes - I set the timer

I rinse about fiveish minutes and then shampoo with the neutralizing shampoo included in the kit. The first time, I put in the shampoo thickly and rinse after a couple of minutes; the second and third washes I leave in for about five minutes.

In the past, I have always neutralized right after. In the future, I will reconstruct with aded protein and then neutralize.

In the future, I will continue to use the reconstructor that comes with the kit and add silk protein to it immediately after rinsing.

Already answered

After neutralizing, I deep condition with a bag and heat. After that, I use an oil treatment, wash with phytoneutre (the best shampoo in the world) and then deep condition again with phytojoba leaving on for at least an hour or overnight if time permits. When I am finally finished and rinse and ready to style, I use Phyto & as a leave in.

Always

Again, one of the reasons I have been willing to pay $60 for this relaxer when I could use one that cost far, far less is because of the way it leaves my hair. Straight with body and shine and softness - no underprocessing; no overporcessing - it's perfect every single time.

I know that ther are many, many other relaxers available, but Phyto is my relaer of choice after years of trying many of the others. I use Phyto relaxer, shampoos, conditioners, leave in - I am a Phyto girl. From experience, I know that these products will work very well for my hair. Even now doing C&G, I still use Phytojoba shampoo and conditioner. I'vve used Phytokaite and Phyto nectar, but like the Phytoneutre and joba shamposs better - gentler and more moisture.

I cannot recommend Phyto products highly enough - but the cost can make you want to reconsider. Each time I've used something different, my hair has suffered as a result. It's easier to go with what works and reap the benefits instead of using something cheaper and suffering the consequences.

If you choose to use these products, I think you won't be sorry. One of the things I have noticed is that the condition of my hair improves over time with phyto - it's not only a immediate improvement, but a cumulative process as well.

Good luck.

I have not done this yet, but I will begin to do so next relaxer. The difference is that immediately following the relaxer, because the pH is so high, the cuticles of the hair shaft are open. By conditioning at this time, you are able to get the conditioner inside of the hair shaft where it will be most effective.

AAAAAAAAAAAH! Just as soon as I talk myself out of it someone else starts another great Phyto thread. I'm just gonna have to break down and try it.:look:

Chayil

chayil0427 said:
AAAAAAAAAAAH! Just as soon as I talk myself out of it someone else starts another great Phyto thread. I'm just gonna have to break down and try it.:look:

Chayil

I was thinking the same thing! I have noticed that the women using Phyto have alot of body in their hair. Okay next relaxer for me will be Phyto Index II:grin:

You certainly are thorough with your research, Stacy. :)

I use index II every 8 weeks.
90% straight
I use coconut oil to base.
The classic four sections.
Half a box gives me a nice touch-up.
The crown of my head.
A nice little dollup. (?)
I'm not that precise.
About 10 minutes.
I use both my fingers and the applicator brush.
I smooth about 10-15 minutes
I rinse with a nice force of water in the shower until I feel like there is no relaxer in my hair.
I follow the directions and neutralize before conditioning. I wash and rinse about three or four times.

I use the neutralizer that comes in the box.
Sometimes I wash one more time with my favorite shampoo before I use the milky reconstructor that comes in the box. Then sometimes I follow with my favorite deep conditioner.
Yes. Sometimes it seemed thicker or slightly underprocessed, but it gives my a a fullness I've never had with any other relaxer immediately post relaxer.

Right after relaxing, my hair feels fuller, stronger and soft. It is straight but not flat to my head like past relaxers made my hair

I use Index II and last used it about April last year, i hope to relax in the next few weeks when my friend has time.

2. What level/percentage of straightness do you aim to achieve when you Phyto?[/]
i usually go for about 75% i do like it straight but has just enough curl to give it volume

only what comes in the box, i wash my hair and condition it about four days before relaxing

my friend divides it into 4 then applies the relaxer in smaller inch sections and her assistant straightens/smooths it.

i used two boxes for a virgin relaxer my hair was in between shoulder and BSL.

my friend starts in the middle of my head and works outwards leaving the nape and front to the end

I couldnt really say but she is generous and any extra bits that come off when her assistant smoothes it is reapplied to other areas.

yes she does.

it took about half an hour...i know thats way over the time limit but my hair doesnt straighten easily at all!

she smooths with fingers after combing it through

it depends she looks at it and decides.

she rinses it REALLY well and just follows the instructions on the packet but leaves the milky reconstructor in for a longer than recommnded time.

I/she follow the instructions in the box but when i get home i apply a leave in protein (terax)

Just what it says in the box but she does shampoo it thoroughly, she rinses really well first then shampoos, shampoos again and again if need me till it is clear...but she leaves hardly any relaxer in the first place...so it doesnt need shapmooing all that much...therefore less manipulation.

16. What do you do after you finally neutralize?after the milky reconstructor is washed out she PATS my hair dry and gently combs it through and VERY briefly blow dries it to so it isnt dripping wet and applies ego boost. i come home with damp hair and let it air dry after applying terax.

7. Did you achieve your desired straightness?
yeah!

it was fine till i washed it then it felt a little dry but my hair has always been dry, i applied oils, did some DC and used Phillip Kingsley elasicticer and my hair is the best its ever been...i get no breakage at all

HTH

Uzz

Just in case I didn't tell you: "I'm so excited!!! And I just can't hide it!!! I want, I want, I want, I want, I want to Phyto! To Phyto!"

How did you ladies decide whether to buy Index I or II? Those of you that use 1/2 a box for a touch up, how are you measuring how much relaxer & activator to use? I'm scared I may mess this part up. I'm very tempted to try this relaxer, I've found a store that carries it in my area. TIA

How much product to use if you only need half is marked on the bottle and the container - it's pretty foolproof as far as measureing is concerned.

msshic said:
How did you ladies decide whether to buy Index I or II? Those of you that use 1/2 a box for a touch up, how are you measuring how much relaxer & activator to use? I'm scared I may mess this part up. I'm very tempted to try this relaxer, I've found a store that carries it in my area. TIA

I first bought Index I and it didn't leave my hair straight, I even left it on longer and nothing, then I switched to Index II and bam!, it was like a professional did it. Sometimes I even get scared because it's so straight but I haven't gotten any breakage and I stretch for up to 18 weeks at a time so Phyto is my relaxer for life:)

I don't use 1/2 box each time because the relaxer is so thick that I don't think I can separately it evenly plus because I stretch so long, I don't mind using the entire box..

Back