How do you moisturize/oil your hair

vtoodler

What kind of moisturizer do you use on your hair? Do you put some form of oil or grease on it afterward to seal in the moisture? How many times a day do you do this?

BellaLunie

I've just been using leave ins as a moisturizer. I use NTM daily deep, Ion leave in, Aussie leave in and seal with EVOO or Aphogee essential oil

PPGbubbles

I use a water based spritz like Aphogee provitamin leave in, then I add a creamy product like Paul Mitchel the conditioner and seal with unrefined coconut oil

I find this combo keeps my hair 4rm being dry AND leaves my hair touchably soft :) It took a while to find a good combo 4 my hair.

Lola Laughs

I was alternating between Trader Joe Nourish Spa Conditioner or whipped shea butter, sealed with vatika oil.

I just started pre-washing with amla/shikakai oil. Since doing this, I have only needed to seal with vatika oil every couple of days.

Americka

Lately, I've been using Skala Shea Butter Leave In and sealing with Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil. I pin curl or use satin sponge rollers and in the morning I have soft, swinging hair. A little goes a long way!

Krymsonkween

NTM spilt end repair and Sally's Argon Oil to seal & it does not leave my hair greasy feeling. I add MTG 2x daily and my hair still does not feel geasy!:grin:

lovegymnasts

The traditional method of moisturizing and sealing was only okay for me. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great. My hair would end up greasy because I was heavy handed trying to get every strand covered. So I figured if I mixed everything all together and spray it on my hair, I would get the coverage without going overboard. I also figured that oil rises to the top so it would seal the moisture in because I would end up with a layer of water and conditioner and the oil on top. I tried it and it worked a lot better for me than the other way. I actually ran into my friend's office and shared my hairgasm because I could not believe how wonderful my hair felt. I was a plum fool.
I fill an 8 oz spray bottle with water, 1 squirt of Lustrasilk conditioner, 1 squirt of olive oil, and 1 squirt of castor oil. They are in squeeze bottles I got from Sally's. While I am in the shower, I spray the entire bottle on my hair which is usually in twists. I shake the bottle periodically so the mixture does not separate. I do this every morning when I get ready. I drip dry while I am bathing. If I am going to wear a braid-out or twist-out, I do the same thing as soon as I come home from work except I lightly mist each section before I retwist or rebraid. I do it lightly enough so that my hair is dry by the morning. It works for me. I love it.

Edited to add: I now wet my hair first then spray with my spray bottle mixture. I like it even better. I knew my hair liked water but i think it loves it.
I discovered this after I had redone my twists the day after I had put them in. I redid them because I did not like the way they turned out. I ended up with too much product in my hair so when I was getting ready for work a couple of days later, I did a quick rinse (stuck my head under the shower quickly) before I sprayed my hair. I got that after wash day feeling I love so much so I will continue to add this step to my moisturizing routine.

Last edited:

Bun Mistress

Ok I'll bite but this may be a long post.

First I ALWAYS DC when I wash. I think this is an important frist step especially since I don't cowash. After the DC I take a little camellia oil and put this all over my hair and then put a microfiber towel over my hair to soak up the moisture. (this is for wet setting btw not when I'm straightening). Then the usually water based leavin/a dab of afrodetangler/braid/JBCO to the ends.

In-between washed there are two ways that I moisturize my hair 1) JBCO or Camellia oil (a dab) applied to water and then get in the shower and let the steam infuse in my hair (makes your hair soft and moisturized) 2) when I rebraid or just because a spray bottle of water conditioner and a little camellia oil (currently using TJ nourish spa but I think any good cheapie con would work)

Miss AJ

I've just been using leave ins as a moisturizer. I use NTM daily deep, Ion leave in, Aussie leave in and seal with EVOO or Aphogee essential oil

Same here. I was sealing with oil, then I was using serum but now I don't do any sealing. My hair stays moisturized with just leave-in or a light moisturizer and I wash and DC every 3 days anyway so my hair is getting plenty of moisture.

I moisturize with either NTM Silky Touch Leave-In or HE Long-Term Relationship.

I seal with Coconut oil and Castor oil. I used to do it twice a day; but, my hair would feel too oily. I only do it once a day.