How do you measure?

melodee

Those with relaxers- When you measure your hair for length, do you measure overall growth of your strands, or new growth only? And for all- Do you extend your strand before measuring, or measure it in it's curly state?

diamondlady

I measure different sections with a wooden ruler. I stretch each section. I've found that the hair in the front grows consistently faster than the rest of hair. I've found that the hair on the right side of my head grows consistently faster than the hair on the left side. I've found that sometimes I get 1/2 inch a month and 3/4 inch a month at other times.

I measure 8 sections and the same secions each time. I love this way of measuring.

uniquev11

I use a retractable tape measure to measure from my hairline to my ends and I try to measure on the first of each month.
If I have new growth, I blowdry the roots straight before I measure.

Ipanema

My hair coils up & doesn't fall flat, so I have to extend it to measure. I measure from the scalp to the ends of the strand.

pebbles

I measure my growth before I do a touch up and measure the length of my hair after I do a touchup, from scalp to ends.