How do you keep your curls?

soslychic

I love the curls I get after a rollerset, but they only last 1 day. Is their any setting lotion I can use that gives a firmer set than pantene relaxed and natural (which is what I'm using now) without making my hair crunchy? Or is their a hair spritz/spray that has no alcohol and won't dry my hair all out?

KinksnCurlz

Pin curl your hair as if it was in a roller every night before bed. Meaning roll sections (same sections that you had the roller in) of hair on your fingers and than using a bobbypin, pin the curl to your head. When done, you should have a head full of invisible rollers. Don't worry about sleeping on them, since they won't be 'crunchy' you don't have to worry about spoiling them. Your curls will last for days like this.
**Alternate method**
Think of a slinky, think of the slinky in it's regular position just resting on the floor. Now, after you imagine roll sections of your hair with your fingers, using a bobbypin, pin your hair to your head so that the "O" - think slinky- is flat against your scalp.

SoniT

I love my rollerset curls too. My curls look good after the rollerset. What helps me is wearing a satin bonnet at night. I don't lose my curls when I wear a bonnet. Sometimes, I'll take two clips and clip each side back then put the bonnet on.

I use Lottabody setting lotion or KeraCare foam wrap lotion. Lottabody doesn't make my hair crunchy because I dilute it with water. My curls always last about 5 days when I use setting lotion.

PrettyBrownEyes

[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
Pin curl your hair as if it was in a roller every night before bed. Meaning roll sections (same sections that you had the roller in) of hair on your fingers and than using a bobbypin, pin the curl to your head. When done, you should have a head full of invisible rollers. Don't worry about sleeping on them, since they won't be 'crunchy' you don't have to worry about spoiling them. Your curls will last for days like this.
**Alternate method**
Think of a slinky, think of the slinky in it's regular position just resting on the floor. Now, after you imagine roll sections of your hair with your fingers, using a bobbypin, pin your hair to your head so that the "O" - think slinky- is flat against your scalp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks PROFESSOR Caramel Honee!

KinksnCurlz

[ QUOTE ]
PrettyBrownEyes said:
[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
**Alternate method**

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks PROFESSOR Caramel Honee!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe...you're welcome

soslychic

One more question...does the pin curl method work too if your hair is flat ironed and curled with hot rollers, curling iron, caruso rollers, soft rollers.....etc....

BeautyOfTruth

Yes, I have found that pin curls work with flat ironed hair that has been curled with a curling iron (although I have not used one in months
) I have even done pin curls with my hair straight, to achieve loose curls.
And I LOVE pin curling my hair at night to maintain curls from a wet set, when I want a change from my straight look.

KinksnCurlz

It will work on any curling method used. In my teens, i use to get the lottabody crunchy shirley temple curls and since i sleep kinda wild, i had to use the slinky pin curl method. My curls always lasted when i did that. If i didn't, i'd get those little 'bends'
which messed up the whole style

When I want a super curly look (like Bev's), i'd curl my hair and use the invisible rollers method. When I wanted a mild curl i'd get the wash 'n set, have my roots blown out only (optional)and then the invi roller thing.
If i wanted loose curls, i'd just pin up (invi) my straight hair.
BTW, i don't use a curling iron anymore, i was speaking of my teen years.

Country gal

Thanks for the tips ladies. I love roller setting my hair becasue outcome is great. I like for my hair to have volume since it is so thin.

GodMadeMePretty

I gotta go out and buy me some bobby pins. I usually do Bantu knots and take them out in the morning for a dry set. These make loose curls.

Allandra

Why don't you try using a soft roller like the Wrap Snap and go rollers (or something similar)? Hairlove has a picture of the Wrap Snap and go rollers in one of her albums.

soslychic

CaramelHonee and Beauty of Truth, thank you so much for the pin curls idea! It worked wonders! I have my hair in like a relaxed/rollerset version of the "puff" and the back is still very curly from using this method even though I rollerset 3 days ago!
This is gonna be one of my new staple transition styles for a little while. Can't thank you guys enough!

KinksnCurlz

[ QUOTE ]
Denali03 said:
How do you guys moisturize these curls without losing them

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, i haven't done this in so long that i don't remember, but i would say you could put a little oil (like carrot) on your ends. Oh, i remember
, u use to hold my head down and spray the underside of my hair with sheen (hey i was a teenager, leave me alone), that would usually keep my hair ultra shiny and not greasy.

PrettyBrownEyes

CH,

I gotta give it to you again girl!

The pin curl method worked for me as well. I did both methods. I've done this the past 2 nights.

Thanks soooo very much for your tips!

And, let me not forget Sosly for posting this question in the first place.

BeautyOfTruth

[ QUOTE ]
soslychic said:
CaramelHonee and Beauty of Truth, thank you so much for the pin curls idea! It worked wonders! I have my hair in like a relaxed/rollerset version of the "puff" and the back is still very curly from using this method even though I rollerset 3 days ago!
This is gonna be one of my new staple transition styles for a little while. Can't thank you guys enough!

[/ QUOTE ]

Happy I was able to help!! I'm so pleased that it worked for you!
Don't you LOVE it??!!!

And CaramelHonee,
you did an EXCELLENT job in explaining the technique step by step! You and I were on the same page (again
) with that one!

lonei

<font color="green"> </font> I just looked at your pictures and I have my hair pin curled at this precise moment. I do it straight after a roller set but as I am a very busy university student I don't have my hair out every day. I keep the pin curls in, it looks very trendy and take it out if im going somewhere special. However, I don't comb mine out, I just leave it in ringlets, if I did comb it out, how does it come out as straight as it did in your photo? Does it mean that you combed it out straight out of your set and then pin curled it or did you wrap it instead?
My hair is just a bit longer than yours.