How do you change the texture of you hair?

strenght81

I have been wearing a weave for about 6-7 months and I realized that the texture of my hair has changed, for the worst. The texture of my hair is rough and dry after a perm. I would like to know has anyone experienced this and how do you change the texture of the hair, to a more smooth soft feel?

Also I usually leave in the weave in for 2 months at a time and put in another one back to back.

glamazon386

The only way to change texture is by some type of chemical process. You probably just need to moisturize your hair. Have you been moisturizing it while the weave has been in? How often do you wash the weave? When you take the weave down, DC your hair. Especially if you're going to weave back to back. And be sure to use some type of braid/weave moisturizer on the cornrows while you have your hair weaved. I've been wearing weaves for almost a whole year back to back. I did take some breaks in between, I had braids for a month, wigged it for a few days between styles, etc... but I didn't have any problems with dryness. CWing also helped me during the summer months to keep my hair moisturized. When I went to a new stylist to get a weave and she touched my hair when she started, she was like "Oooh! Your hair is REALLY soft!" like she was surprised or something. I must have been doing something right... :lol: HTH...

Last edited:

strenght81

bmoreflyygirl said:
THave you been moisturizing it while the weave has been in? How often do you wash the weave?

I wash my hair once every 2 weeks and I condition it. But I dont really put any oils or moistuizers on my scalp. I recently put some WGO on my scalp but I had to stop because it made the weave oily because I wrapped my hair and it spread I guess. It was so nasty I had to wash my hair again the same night, never again. I do have a small portion of my real hair left out in the front, I moisturize that daily and I trim it too, which is bad because when I remove the weave for good in december the front is going to look soooooooooo uneven, compared to the rest of my hair.

Thank you for your suggestions, I will try it.

glamazon386

Yeah, maybe you can try a braid spray that's not oily. You're right about the oils weighing the straight weaves down. I usually wear curly and wavy weaves so it doesn't happen as much. I use the African Royal BRX Braid and Extension spray. It's not oily at all. And it stops the itchies. Some other ladies on the board have mentioned the YAKY Braid sprays too. As far as the part in the front, are you using heat to keep it straight? If so, how often, that made my bangs break off after they had finally grown out.

strenght81

bmoreflyygirl said:
Yeah, maybe you can try a braid spray that's not oily. You're right about the oils weighing the straight weaves down. I usually wear curly and wavy weaves so it doesn't happen as much. I use the African Royal BRX Braid and Extension spray. It's not oily at all. And it stops the itchies. Some other ladies on the board have mentioned the YAKY Braid sprays too. As far as the part in the front, are you using heat to keep it straight? If so, how often, that made my bangs break off after they had finally grown out.

I use heat only when it starts looking really bad :eek:,like once/week. I use to do it everyday but I stopped. After I take this weave out I am cutting my hair short and starting all over. I 'm on a quest for healthy chin-shoulder lenght hair. I no longer believe in constant weaves this is it for me.

Radianthealth

Ditto on the African Royale Braid spray...that stuff is really good!!!!!!!!!!! You have to be sure that you moisturize while you are underneath the weave. I would follow the tips found on this website except take care of the hair under the weave instead of the braids.

www.growafrohairlong.com

glamazon386

strenght81 said:
I use heat only when it starts looking really bad :eek:,like once/week. I use to do it everyday but I stopped. After I take this weave out I am cutting my hair short and starting all over. I 'm on a quest for healthy chin-shoulder lenght hair. I no longer believe in constant weaves this is it for me.

Oh okay. A fresh start would be good. You have to do whats best for you and your hair. :)