how do you bun?

spellinto

since the beginning of my hj i have been bunning and retained so much length. i am now a few inches above wl :D and i would attribute a huge chunk of that to buns bc they prevent breakage. HOWEVER, my ends have always had a problem with buns because although there's no breakage, my ends come out feeling dry and prickly and usually look very raggedy and split. i am about to trim them again but i'd just like to know how you all bun, or at least how you all avoid dry, damaged, and dented ends after bunning (i've seen threads on this but none quite answered my question)?

i've tried
- castor oil on my ends, but i think that furthers the problem by leaving them weighed down and sticky before i bun
- southern tease bun, but my ends don't respond well to that either
- cinnamon bun
- the "ulovemegz" bun
- bunning with a satin scruinche
- pinning my ends (but pins leave them dented and damaged)
- currently using hot six oil
- currently wearing my hair in a braid until i can figure out this bunning problem :\ (but i'm really paranoid about my ends brushing up against my shirt this way!)

:perplexed how can i win? i love bunning, but i am still suffering from dry & damaged ends and bunning only exacerbates the issue!

Last edited:

kinky curlygenie

When I bun I slather condish on my ends and that seems to wrk a treat or mix some oil in my condish thn apply, I think it's a lil trial and error sometimes gd luck :)

SimJam

^^^^^ this^^^^

when I was relaxed I woud coat my ends with LI then castor oil before putting in a bun

Evolving78

i moisturize with a moisturizing spritz, making sure my ends and edges are moisturized as well
i seal with jojoba oil
i use spin pins or good day hair pins. these hair pins, won't snag or pull your hair.
for style or to accessorize, i put a pretty bun hair net, or a satin scrunchie around it.
at night, i take the bun down, finger comb for shed hairs, remoisturize if needed, and put back in a loose bun.

Spin Pins and Good Hair Day Pins are the truth!

oh, i don't wet bun, but i just make sure ends have been dampened a little with product then seal with a little oil. castor oil is too heavy for me.

Last edited:

FoxxyLocs

I usually do one big bantu knot and secure with bobby pins so I don't have to use elastics. I may or may not oil my ends before bunning. When I do use elastics I make sure they are the ouchless kind and I soak them in oil first.

I use the giant bobby pins. They don't snag my hair like the regular sized ones.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
-Moisturize/seal your ends in the a.m. & p.m.
-Baggy bun either daily, nightly or as needed

I tend to baggy bun nightly unless my ends are feeling in need of love, then I'll baggy bun during the day but don't do this often. Note: I can baggy nightly without issue because I have low porosity hair so my hair enjoys the baggy process.

My bun regi.

ravenhairedcharm

Have you tried doing a braided bun? Braid your ponytail all the way down to the ends--you can even do multiple braids and pin the braids into a bun formation or just wrap the one braid into one bun. Your ends should be safe and retain moisture since it's braided together compactly.

Last edited:

CurlsBazillion

With my length now I bun, mind you this is not for the look, I gather and fold/roll my hair like its on a roller as close to my head as possible then secure it with a hair tie. It isn't elaborate or even that appealing but when I am home (which is alot) my ends don't suffer because it's inside the bun not being touched by the hair tie. I can only imagine how it would look on wl hair, probably a huge ball.

alive

i usually twist the very ends of my hair to lock in the moisture and bun with the twists in

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
I don't bun regularly, but when I bunned last night during vacation, I slather my ends with Giovanni Nutrafix Condish and sealed with Vaseline. I also made sure my no-metal elastic was absolutely coated in Vaseline and did not try to get my bun too tight.

My hair had virtually no breakage and my ends did not suffer one bit!

The only reason I don't bun now is because of sheer laziness: it's actually better to keep my hair moisturized, sealed and hidden away. But if I do decide to bun, I will definitely use this method!

HTH!

Monaleezza

Has anyone found the doughnut to be drying? I'm wondering if anyone has tried with doughnut/without doughnut and analysed the difference?

The Princess

Monaleezza said:
Has anyone found the doughnut to be drying? I'm wondering if anyone has tried with doughnut/without doughnut and analysed the difference?

Yes. For me the donut was drying. I even put a silk covering over it. I retain more moisture when I bun my hair around itself.

It's hard to do when hair is shorter than SL and it don't look as neat.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
since the beginning of my hj i have been bunning and retained so much length. i am now a few inches above wl :D and i would attribute a huge chunk of that to buns bc they prevent breakage. HOWEVER, my ends have always had a problem with buns because although there's no breakage, my ends come out feeling dry and prickly and usually look very raggedy and split. i am about to trim them again but i'd just like to know how you all bun, or at least how you all avoid dry, damaged, and dented ends after bunning (i've seen threads on this but none quite answered my question)?

i've tried
- castor oil on my ends, but i think that furthers the problem by leaving them weighed down and sticky before i bun
- southern tease bun, but my ends don't respond well to that either
- cinnamon bun
- the "ulovemegz" bun
- bunning with a satin scruinche
- pinning my ends (but pins leave them dented and damaged)
- currently using hot six oil
- currently wearing my hair in a braid until i can figure out this bunning problem :\ (but i'm really paranoid about my ends brushing up against my shirt this way!)

:perplexed how can i win? i love bunning, but i am still suffering from dry & damaged ends and bunning only exacerbates the issue!

I moisturize and seal (sometimes I don't seal) and I braid my hair all in one in the back, roll it up underneath and either I tuck it inside, or after I've rolled and tucked I put a ponytail holder around the middle. I make sure that no hair is pulling and that its nice and loose.

koolkittychick

Pretty much what others have said before:

1. Moisturize and seal ends with your usual leave-in (Organics by Africa's Best Olive Oil Moisturizing Growth Lotion works best for me);
  2. Loosely twist your hair around like you're making a bantu knot (keep your hair smooth as you go along);
  3. Wrap the twist around itself (hold your finger in the middle of where you want your bun to sit and start wrapping around it to get it going) to make the bun. Make sure you smooth out any bumps that stick out as you go along and keep your ends very smooth as tuck them into the base of your bun;
  4. Secure with spin pins (they are the least damaging by far) and go.
If you are careful about how you rolled your bun, when you take it down later, you will have pretty waves and nicely curled ends to enjoy as a second hairstyle. :yep:

Kindheart

I roll-bun meaning i don't use anything underneath the bun ,i still have the same problems at times when i bun in a rush ,what u need to do is tuck the ends under the bun towards the centre but not inside it ,if that make sense

krissyprissy

I covered mine with a old black satin sleep bonnet. I just cut away the elastic and sewed it around the donut with needle and thread.

Monaleezza

The Princess krissyprissy I'm going to try covering mine tonight I've got enough old satin durags lying around. I did consider it, laziness had gotten the better of me. But it does make sense. And my ends are so dry under the doughnut, I have to try something.

TheMenAllPause

I ponytail my hair after cowashing then put my hair in 8-10 twists. Wrap the twists around the ponytail holder and secure each twist with really small hair clips or put a big ponytail holder over the twists.I'm able to baggy my ends at night doing that with very low manipulation.

pinkness27

TheMenAllPause said:
I ponytail my hair after cowashing then put my hair in 8-10 twists. Wrap the twists around the ponytail holder and secure each twist with really small hair clips or put a big ponytail holder over the twists.I'm able to baggy my ends at night doing that with very low manipulation.

This sounds so pretty. I'm going to try it. I usually use a donut.

TheMenAllPause

pinkness27 said:
This sounds so pretty. I'm going to try it. I usually use a donut.

Thanks!! It's a different looking bun than the donut...especially if you wear buns a lot. I gotta switch it up so I don't get bored.

RegaLady

Have you tried doing a braided bun? Braid your ponytail all the way down to the ends--you can even do multiple braids and pin the braids into a bun formation or just wrap the one braid into one bun. Your ends should be safe and retain moisture since it's braided together compactly.

This is what I do except I twist three sections then braid, tuck then roll. I haven't looked back since. Dare I say, I love bunning

starfish

And make sure not to use a cotton band to wrap around your bun like I did. I have about 2 inches of hair at the nape that is SL, while the rest of my hair is MBL. It all broke off using my black cotton headband to hold my hair/bun together FAIL! Use satin or silk, hair sticks, bobby pins, etc.

(I don't know WHAT I was thinking!)

SherylsTresses

1. Cowash
  2. Part in the front middle
  3. Apply leave-in mixed with EVOO
  4. Finger-position hair a ponytail
  5. Secure pony by tying a piece of stocking around it
  6. Twist loose hair (3), wrap twists around stocking tie, and bobby pin each twist
  7. Sleep in a satin scarf for a smooth bun
  8. I usually baggy my bun and wear a black wig cap around baggy-bun