how do i wash my braids?

L

longlegz

I'm getting my hair braided tomorrow and I am wondering what is the correct way to wash braids...I've had braids in the past and when I took them down, I ended up having that little knot on the end. I'm convinced its because I used the wrong products and washed my hair with shampoo straight from the bottle...

I guess my question is: should I dillute my shampoo and condition? I remember reading on Wanakee's website that she would dunk her head in sudsy water to wash braids...

Does anyone have any ideas???

I appreciate any helpful suggestions...thanks in advance /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

hey, legz!

when i washed my hair, i used my usual shampoo and conditioner. i did put them in separate bottles though and dilute 50/50 with water. also, with the shampoo, i would squirt it on and focus my washing on my scalp. letting it run down the length of the braids is usually enough to get them clean. with the conditioner i focused on my hair rather than the scalp. this was to avoid buildup.

adrienne

When I have braid I shampoo as usually, i.e. once a week.
I use a pharmacy shampoo for dry hair (Klorane or Ducray), no dilution, and shampoo as usual. Rinse well, well, well.
I towel dry a bit, then put either olive oil, or a silicone serum on.
No conditioner.
When I take them down, I have no knots, not even the little build up at the base, and they are soft and clean.

F.

Thanks adrienne and Fatima for the helpful suggestions...I'll keep the board posted on my progress. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I could have used this info back when my braids were practically rotting my scalp out, and washing it made it worse! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I have been using the Crown & Glory method for the past four months. Almost every day I put some conditioner in a 16 oz bottle and fill with water. I shake it up, grab my hair into a ponytail at the top of my head and then pour it over my hair and let it drip into the tub. I follow that up with a herbal rinse in the same manner. I wrap my hair up in a towel to soak up excess water until I am done getting ready.

This method has worked really well for me. So far I have redone my braids twice and there was been very little build up. Years ago when I would do braids and completely neglect them, there would be LOTS of buildup. My hair is a lot healthier and happier because I am taking better care of it in the braids.

Whatever route you go, good luck!

Happy Hair Growing!!

NubianQueen

Back