How I Wash in Braids...

Nonie

In another discussion, I shared the sentiments of the OP on what a nightmare it is if someone with type 4 hair wore microbraids without extensions, washed them repeatedly in the micros and then tried to undo them. :nono: The hair literally feels like it's turned into locs. I didn't need more than a week of wearing the front of my hair in bangs of microbraids w/o extensions (I wash twice a week, you see) to quickly get thatmessage. But the term "washing in braids" in that discussion caught my attention and I realized that there are many of us who use it in another way that is actually safe and even good for hair.

So I decided to create this thread just to explain to newbies who may not know of this method how I wash in braids in case it may be helpful to them. So those who already know of this method you'd be wise to exit the thread now for I refuse to be responsible for the boredom you'll be subjected to if you continue reading.

When I use the phrase "washing in braids" what I mean is my hair was loose and I put it in large plaits before I wet it.

This ensures that it stays in the detangled state I had it and shrinkage doesn't cause the strands to curl back and wrap around each other in a way that would cause knots. So when in braids, I wet the hair and apply shampoo to the plaits/braids squeezing them to get it to penetrate the plaits. I apply some to my fingers and feel through the hair that is plaited to my scalp and massage it to my heart's content (Shampooing is a wonderful excuse for me to give myself a scalp massage. If you prefer, you could use an applicator bottle to get shampoo on scalp but I don't find this necessary.) I then undo one of the plaits with shampoo still on and comb through. I stretch out the strands as I comb so that I'm opening up the coils for easy gliding of the comb. (You'll see clip later showing this.) The shampoo also provides slip to make combing easy. The combing helps me remove shed hair and further ensures that hair is still free of tangles. I then braid that back up and do the same on another plait/braid till all have been combed. Plaiting each back promptly ensures that you keep hair in that state where combing is easy.

Next I hold my head under a shower head and rinse off the shampoo first with all the plaits in massaging my scalp and squeezing plaits to get as much of the suds out. I like to repeat the undo and comb through letting the water from the shower stretch my stands and make the comb glide easier through. Undoing and combing while water is running through also ensures that all shampoo is removed. During this combing, I really make sure I'm starting from the base of the hair to the ends. I do that with each braid at a time braiding it back up before working on another.

I then apply conditioner the same way. First to all the plaits, and then I undo each and comb through. This clip shows me combing a wet braid section of my 4B hair with conditioner on it during a "washing in braids" session, and you will notice the stretching out strands I was talking about earlier. (I would like to point out that while I do make an effort to get shampoo on my scalp, it's the opposite when it comes to conditioner: I make an effort not to get it on my scalp by not applying to the section of my hair closest to my scalp. Not only is that hair so much healthier and not in as desperate need of conditioning as the older hair, I also believe it gets "conditioned" often by my sebum (I baggy a lot) plus I don't think conditioner has any business on the scalp as it's supposed to leave a coating on hair and that on the scalp I believe causes itches galore!) So when I undo each plait to comb conditioner through, while I may get comb close to my scalp to comb my hair, I don't try to touch my scalp. Since I've been thorough with the combing thus far and keeping hair in plaits, I can trust the base of my hair is still tangle free. Again, I plait each braid back before moving to the next to comb conditioner through.

Rinsing conditioner off is similar to how I did with the shampoo. And then comes my final and favorite part: the ACV rinse dunk. I mix 1/4 cup of ACV in a basin of about 2 gallons of water. I add about 20 drops of rosemary essential oil and 20 of lavender essential oil and dunk my braided head in there and massage my scalp till I'm in heaven. I lift my head undo one braid, dunk the loose hair and comb it under water...then get up and braid it back up. I do that with all. If I'm in a hurry and haven't got time to dunk, I'll towel dry the plaits after rinsing the conditioner. Then I will undo one at a time, towel dry some more, spritz with an ACV spritz I have in a spray bottle to wet, comb through then plait back. The reason I towel dry first is so that when I spray ACV, I can be sure that all the wetness I now have is from the solution having covered my strands well. I don't want any strand to be left out. I do this to each plait. It is important to me that the last thing I use on my hair is an ACV rinse because it leaves my strands smooth as it closes cuticles. So if I don't do that glorious dunk, then I'll do the spritz and then let my hair dry in the braids. The final braiding I do after my final rinse (you know, the braiding I do to each section after the ACV rinse) is done firmly because it will be my airdrying style and I need the braids to stretch my hair. I do not undo the braids until my hair is fully dried. (Note: up to this point I have no product in my hair!) But don't let the idea of air-drying bare hair scare you; it's not as "dangerous" as it sound....***Everything is going to be all right. :look: Below you can see how hair that is air-dried fully while bare like I do and in plaits ends up so nicely stretched:

At this point I can then apply S Curl and style...and the hair will be easy to comb and work with. In the above pic, I was just going to twist my hair (you can see some already done to the right) and I don't use products for that so the ACV rinse is the last thing I had on my hair. I just undid the braids one at a time and twisted it into small twists. Another thing about the braids in this last photo is they are smaller than I would normally have for a "washing in braid" session. The reason they are so small is it was only the front I was washing like this; the rest of my hair was in braid extensions. Only the front was w/o extensions coz I'd wear twisted bangs. I normally just washed in the twists along with the extensions the easy way, but on this day I just wanted to change the parting in my "bangs" and do the twists afresh so decided to undo them all and "wash in braids".

So yeah, my way of "washing in braids" may be time consuming but it becomes like clockwork once you're used to it and doesn't feel like a chore at all (coz lawd knows they don't make them any lazier than I and I wouldn't be doing it if it felt like "work"). What's more, the fact that I am NEVER faced with knots and tangles in my hair being this anal about keeping my hair detangled just makes it all worthwhile to me.

Usually I wear my hair in twists and so my usual wash sessions take a few minutes because there's no combing involved. Just shampoo, rinse, condition, rinse, ACV rinse, done. That extended ritual of "washing in braids" only happens when I am wearing my hair out.

When I straightened my hair in April 2009 that is how I washed my hair before I braided it with extensions. The first pic below shows the starting point (BTW, I cleverly parted my hair the way I knew the main parts for styling my final braid extensions would be so that I could airdry my hair and it would then be ready for braiding without any special parting being necessary. I'd just undo one braid section at a time, finger part smaller sections to put in extensions, and the rest of the hair would be out of the way and out of danger of tangling. So because of this pre-planning, no comb was necessary during the braiding since the styling parts (meaning the parts that I may want to be seen later when I style my braids depending on how I choose to wear them) were already "set" in advance. ;)

So yeah, this is before the wash:

And this was the end of my wash:

^^I hadn't yet firmly braided each section to stretch the way I suggested you need to do at the end of the wash. This was immediately after the ACV dunk so that was my next step--hence the undone section.

HTH to newbies.

ETA: The Crown & Glory website (www.growafrohairlong.com) has a simpler method where you just keep the braids intact for the duration of the wash and it may work for some better than my method. But I find my way so effective and tangle-proof that I'd not change it for the world.

Last edited:

aishasoleil

Although I know about this method... I still read your post. Lol. Your posts are always so informative and detailed! Also, I love seeing pictures of your hair... your shrinkage is amazing. :yep:

Nonie

Please forgive me for this redundant post but I couldn't resist.

***When I wrote that part in red (see first post before reading on)... it was because I remembered My Therapy Buddy.:lachen::lachen::lachen:

For those who don't know, My Therapy Buddy was a creation by a guy on the show American Inventor or something. It was a blue stuffed toy that was supposed to comfort adults who were having a bad day and make them feel better. The judges on the show were horrified at what they considered the most ridiculous thing they ever saw :lol:, and while I was tickled pink by their reaction and also at the mental image the idea gave me of a CEO in a suit at a Forbes 100 company hugging a stuffed toy :rofl: LOL, I felt so sorry for the guy and I have never been able to forget him or his invention. And since I'm now going to have this in my head all day, I refuse to do time alone! LOL So I am taking y'all down with me.:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Oh and for those with hearts, please buy one. :pray: Official Website (I seriously intend on buying it one day. :giggle: I'm just too cheap right now to afford it but unlike some of you, I do have a heart! LOL And as silly as it may sound, I actually think that when stuck in traffic and in a bad mood, hearing MTB say anything would make me howl with laughter and forget all the frustrations I was feeling LOL So there! Oh and when I do get one, I'll be damned if I ever let anyone know I own it. LOL)

ETA: I cannot breathe.... :lachen: :lol: :rofl: :dead: Someone just sent me a message to say that MTB is creepy and sounds like a serial killer. :lol: Now that's just so cold!

Last edited:

aishasoleil

Nonie: OMG that thing is so creepy! My eyes got so big when it started talking. Uh, do not want! Lol. "Everything is going to be all right..." :eek2:

Nonie

@Nonie: OMG that thing is so creepy! My eyes got so big when it started talking. Uh, do not want! Lol. "Everything is going to be all right..." :eek2:

My name is talking Tina and I'm going to kill you

You're both so crazy :lachen: @Je Ne Sais Quoi and @aishasoleil

Can't you just see having this at the ready for when someone you know who flies off the handle at that slightest little thing starts going off at everyone and when they are away you anonymously just leave them this little gift. :lol:

OK, let me stop and behave. :angel: Sorry hair forum readers for this interruption. :hide:

Now returning to our normal scheduled programming....

Je Ne Sais Quoi

You're both so crazy :lachen: @Je Ne Sais Quoi and @aishasoleil

Can't you just see having this at the ready for when someone you know who flies off the handle at that slightest little thing starts going off at everyone and when they are away you anonymously just leave them this little gift. :lol:

OK, let me stop and behave. :angel: Sorry hair forum readers for this interruption. :hide:

Now returning to our normal scheduled programming....
I'd be scared if one just appeared out of nowhere. that voice is beyond creepy. Everything IS going to be ok

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Saga

The Generous Queen
I came in to be informed...but mostly to see nonie's hair.
I love seeing pictures, she doesn't show it all the time so it's like a rare jewel. ^^

empressri

goodness Nonie your hair is gorgeous!!!

i will NEVER forgive you for posting that scary oversized blue talking turd!!! i didnt know whether to laugh or cry :lachen:

*DEAD* at those judges faces!!!

Nonie

I came in to be informed...but mostly to see nonie's hair.
I love seeing pictures, she doesn't show it all the time so it's like a rare jewel. ^^

goodness @Nonie your hair is gorgeous!!!

i will NEVER forgive you for posting that scary oversized blue talking turd!!! i didnt know whether to laugh or cry :lachen:

*DEAD* at those judges faces!!!

Wow @DanceOnTheSkylines and @empressri, I'm flattered by your kind compliments on my hair, which IMO pales in comparison to yours. I admire locs so much and just don't do it myself coz I'm too indecisive to commit to the longterm rlp and yours DOTS look so thick and healthy and I can't wait to see your progress.

Then you Glamour Puss empress, your mane's hypnotic powers leave me speechless.

So thank you to both of you :notworthy

Empressri @ the bold, :rofl: my bad.
But I don't know why y'all just can't be happy that "everything is going to be all right".

Last edited:

Saga

The Generous Queen
Wow @DanceOnTheSkylines and @empressri, I'm flattered by your kind compliments on my hair, which IMO pales in comparison to yours. I admire locs so much and just don't do it myself coz I'm too indecisive to commit to the longterm rlp and yours DOTS looks so thick and healthy and I can't wait to see your progress.

Then you Glamour Puss empress, your mane's hypnotic powers leave me speechless.

Nonie: Thanks! They're progressing nicely. Trust me, I always thought I was way too fickle to loc my hair but right now I feel it fits my lifestyle so I'm very happy with my low-maintenance of it all. Sleep cap, water/AVG, oil mix, done. The very back 2 rows are locing faster than the rest. I'm excited for the journey. ^^

Oh, and you're most welcome for the well deserved compliments!

Nonie

Can this method work on mini twists?

Skiggle, I wear twists and just wash them loose like hair. I am not sure if you're asking because your twists unravel or if it's because your twists lock.

Can you elaborate on your question and the reason you ask (Like do your twists give you problems when you wash?) so I can see if I can help answer?

Skiggle

Skiggle, I wear twists and just wash them loose like hair. I am not sure if you're asking because your twists unravel or if it's because your twists lock.

Can you elaborate on your question and the reason you ask (Like do your twists give you problems when you wash?) so I can see if I can help answer?

My Twists were very hard to take out after I co-washed them a couple of times :(. I would like to this style again but I don't want to deal with the take down process. I have attached pictures of it freshly done, and dry. And another of it wet. I

Attachments

• SDC10158.jpg
    SDC10158.jpg
    519.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0353.jpg
    IMG_0353.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 72

Nonie

My Twists were very hard to take out after I co-washed them a couple of times :(. I would like to this style again but I don't want to deal with the take down process. I have attached pictures of it freshly done, and dry. And another of it wet. I

Skiggle Aah...I think I see why. When you twist, it doesn't look like you twirl each strand first before you wrap it around the other. So that means hair from each strand can mix in with hair from the other strand which is similar to what happens with microbraids w/o extensions.

If you can change your twisting technique, you'll be surprised at how easy living in twists becomes. @Nix08 is my partner in crime. She gave my suggestion the benefit of the doubt and tried it and has never looked back.

Here's a slow vid showing what I mean by you must first twirl each strand (same direction mind you) and then wrap them around each other in the opposite way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-PPsh1_Np0

By twirling the hair, you ensure the hair in each strand is well separated from that in the other. It looks like it'd take forever to do, but once you learn the technique, it's not that hard. Here's a vid showing real time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm0c7KPcj08

Notice^^ that I stretch and smooth out the hair as I twist so that it's held in a somewhat stretched state where it has no chance of slinking out of position and "getting into trouble".

When you twist like that, undoing twists that have been washed numerous times is as easy as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jff-Uqfb_SA

And twists stay looking fairly neat even after many washes. This was after 8 (4 weeks):

And you know this method will not cause locking because when you wash your hair, the worst that will happen is some will unravel...but notice how easily the hair separates:

Nonie

Skiggle, and to answer your question about whether "washing in braids" would help your twists, I'm not really sure it would. The matting/locking happens because the hairs WITHIN the twists mingle and so THAT is what needs to be addressed. The twists themselves don't tangle--which if they did, this method would be useful. Otherwise this method cannot help what's happening inside the twists.

The reason washing in braids helps prevent tangles on loose hair is the hair is stretched when the braids are done. You then undo the previously stretched hair and comb through to remove shed hair and further ensure separation in strands and then you secure it again in braids. There's repeated confirmation that hair strands are separated throughout the wash. You can't do that when hair is locked in twists.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
Skiggle YES YES YES...listen to what Nonie is telling you....Twists are my bff when styling dd (I'm relaxed). I didn't think a twist could be washed and still remain but using nonie's technique they do just that. I affirm that what nonie is telling you is the truth. Plus I am very style challenged so if I was able to do it I'm certain you can too:yep:

Skiggle

Aww, thanks Nonie for your help ssooo much!
I will be using this method when I start my twisting during the summer months, I will need practice though. I have some kinky twist hair left over from my last install, I will be using that to practice. And here I thought I couldn't be one of those naturals that couldn't PS over long periods in twists! You have renewed my my hope Nonie :yep:.

Nix08 thanks for your confirmation, btw! :)

fluffyforever

I've been washing my hair in braids like you Nonie, but I think my braids are too big (6 braids for all my 4b hair like yours). I stil get crazy tangles.

When all of your hair is loose, how many braids do you make for washing like this?

hair4romheaven

This use to work for me while transitioning but now fully natural no maam pam! My hair is def. type 4 texture but is heavily coiled at my ENDS only. Weird. So if I wash in braids my hair will get SSK and a little fused at the end but in twist its ok to wash. I now just wash it loose. Weird I know. My hair is cottony from roots down but the ends have noticable med to small coils. Still type 4 though.

Nonie

I've been washing my hair in braids like you Nonie, but I think my braids are too big (6 braids for all my 4b hair like yours). I stil get crazy tangles.

When all of your hair is loose, how many braids do you make for washing like this?

@fluffyforever, this image is of my hair before I washed. I had 8 braids here:

Also what sort of comb do you use? I used a SEAMLESS fine-tooth comb. This one:

And you can see me using it here:

Before I straightened my hair, I washed my hair in braids and this hair you see here had been combed with that comb:

So perhaps you're using a comb with very wide teeth that isn't really getting shed hair or separating your strands properly. The widest teeth I ever used with this method was that metal pick with the Power to the People fist handle:

That's what I was using in that clip I posted in the OP where I was combing my hair with conditioner in it.

But whatever size of braids you do, you need to be anal about making sure you remove shed hair. Part out a narrow section if you have to and comb that, making sure to run comb from base to ends (don't forget to stretch hair to open strands up), then braid it up before you part out another narrow section and comb through and then you can braid it to keep it out of the way and from getting messy again. You can undo the first narrow section braid to combine with the second narrow section so you don't end up with very thin braids, combing through both together first before braiding. When you've combed that whole braid sections meticulously in narrow section stages. Now undo the mini-braids you made and make sure you can now comb through that whole braid section and then NOW you can braid it up firmly too keep it that detangled. At least be this anal with the shampooing part of your wash which is when you'll probably get most of the shed hair out. Also when you braid, think STRETCH. That doesn't mean pull your brains out, but start gently but firmly and then make sure you're smoothing out the hair as you braid as if aiming to ensure the part inside the braid is fully stretched. The purpose of the braids, besides keeping hair from tangling, is also to keep strands open so that combing will be easy.

Another thing you must ensure you have is slip. You can't have dry hair that is sticky from conditioner. And you can't have wet hair that doesn't have enough conditioner to be slippery. Your hair should feel slimy, so plenty of water and conditioner to make it feel slippery.

Last edited:

fluffyforever

Thanks Nonie! I have seamless combs of all sizes, but I never used a fine tooth comb to detangle during the wash process, just my wider tooth ones. I also never tried combing from the base, I think I focus more on the ends to middle of the hair when detangling.

I am trying this tonight when i wash my hair and will be using a fine tooth comb and more braids (8-10). I'm probably going to have to pre-detangle my hair in those small sections you mentioned first, because my hair, as it stands now, is tangle city.

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Nonie, my hair still gets knots when I wash in braids or twists. Do you think it is possible to wash in sections (unbraided or untwisted) and still reduce SSKS?

Then again, my lack of detangling each braid or twist could be part of my problem..:scratchch

theNaturalWonders

Nonie thanks for this useful post! do you blow dry your hair to stretch it to braid it up after every wash? i am noticing that i have a lot of ssks on the ends of my braids and i am thinking i may need to blow dry my hair to stretch it out to prevent ssks. the problem is i wash my hair on a weekly basis. terribly afraid of heat damage.

Nonie

Thanks Nonie! I have seamless combs of all sizes, but I never used a fine tooth comb to detangle during the wash process, just my wider tooth ones. I also never tried combing from the base, I think I focus more on the ends to middle of the hair when detangling.

I am trying this tonight when i wash my hair and will be using a fine tooth comb and more braids (8-10). I'm probably going to have to pre-detangle my hair in those small sections you mentioned first, because my hair, as it stands now, is tangle city.

fluffyforever the bold part made me feel queasy and in need of immediate bed rest.

Girl, how dare you only give TLC to part of your hair?!!! :spank: Roots need love too and there's no way you'd have fully detangled hair not combing the entire length. I feel faint again. :ill:

Just so you can see how seriously I take keeping strands detangled, this is how I finger-comb a twist section before I retwist:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5iU4NgNGgI

And while people are so excited to see strands clump, I make every effort to keep mine separated. So usually this is how you'll see my hair even when I haven't run a comb through it:

theNaturalWonders

@fluffyforever the bold part made me feel queasy and in need of immediate bed rest.

Girl, how dare you only give TLC to part of your hair?!!! :spank: Roots need love too and there's no way you'd have fully detangled hair not combing the entire length. I feel faint again. :ill:

Just so you can see how seriously I take keeping strands detangled, this is how I finger-comb a twist section before I retwist:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5iU4NgNGgI

And while people are so excited to see strands clump, I make every effort to keep mine separated. So usually this is how you'll see my hair even when I haven't run a comb through it:

my hair is so fine yet dense it would take me forever to finger detangle that way~you have so much patience!

Nonie

@Nonie thanks for this useful post! do you blow dry your hair to stretch it to braid it up after every wash? i am noticing that i have a lot of ssks on the ends of my braids and i am thinking i may need to blow dry my hair to stretch it out to prevent ssks. the problem is i wash my hair on a weekly basis. terribly afraid of heat damage.

theNaturalWonders (sorry naturalwonders; I kept mentioning you instead coz I can't read :dork:) no I do not blow dry my hair. I just braid my hair and braid to the ends. I think what keeps my ends in great condition is that I dust them without fail every 8 weeks. That keeps them from being in bad condition which is when I think they start knotting up. Actually I just realized that I don't even braid to the very end but usually have them ends out for easy undoing, but I still don't have knotting.

I attribute that to regular dusting. (The top and bottom images were not of braids I used to wash, but rather, I was undoing extension braids and after every few I take out, I braid the hair to keep it from getting tangled. Yes, indeed. Tangles don't get a chance in my hair. But really dusting ends really will make a difference.

Another thing I want to mention which will make people gasp and clutch pearls is I don't use products on my hair unless wearing it out. @Iluvsmuhgrass did once create a post asking if using products encouraged SSKs. I suspected she was onto something because when I tried to redo twists after applying S Curl to them (I was trying out something new), my hair was threatening to knot up. And I found it easier to redo my twists after a wash when my strands were very clean. Also using ACV rinse at the end of my wash keeps strands smooth, which may also help with preventing knot...maybe?

Last edited: