How do I take care of my synthetic braids

adelineh3

I currently have cornrows in my hair with synthetic Kaneakalon (however you spell it) hair. I have just started doing this 6 weeks post relaxer to stretch my relaxers to about 10 weeks. It is convenient and at six weeks I have a lot of new growth and it's very hard to take care of without using heat once I get to this point. I just want to know what is the best way to care for my braids so when I take them out my hair won't be damaged in any way. If anyone has any tips on how to wash, condition and take care of them I would greatly appreciate it.

When I get cornrows, I also use synthetic hair.

I moisturize my hair every-other-day using either Infusium 24, Sta-Sof-Fro or S-Curl Spray Activator.

I oil my scalp every-other-day with a store-bought oil (Do Gro Anti-itch, Growth oil) plus I add Rosemary, Lavendar and Tea Tree Essential Oils.

I clean my scalp using Organic Root Stimulators scalp cleanser (the purple stuff).

And I recently just learned this (after the worst tangling situation I have ever experienced in life!!!!!!!), when I take out my braids (you absolutely must comb your hair out very thoroughly) I drench my hair in conditioner and leave it on over night. This was the best thing to prevent tangles and knots post wash.

Hope some of this info will be helpful to you. You may also want to do a search on braids, cornrows, synthetic, etc. You should get a ton more posts on the subject.

I agree with princess keep hair mositure this helps when you are ready to take hair out.

When I take it out I usually saturate my hair with alot of oil and the braids slip out. If I am taking them out in phases I put plastic bag my hair to hold the mositure and prevent the oil from runny. But I also agree that a good conditoner over night can help this detangle process even the more. :p

Last edited:
Back