Can 4a/bs get curl definition?

*ElleB

I was just wondering. I wanted to try products like Kinky-Curly Curling Custard, and Fantasia IC gel with sparkelites (that ppl say defines curls) so I can do wash and go styles, and minimize heat usage....Have any 4a's got nice definition froma product.

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
*ElleB said:
I was just wondering. I wanted to try products like Kinky-Curly Curling Custard, and Fantasia IC gel with sparkelites (that ppl say defines curls) so I can do wash and go styles, and minimize heat usage....Have any 4a's got nice definition froma product.

I believe I'm a 4a(thanks Blossssom!) When I first started transitioning my hair waved up with the usage of gels and shea butter/water mix. As I got farther along in my transtition and saw more newgrowth, I also noticed how it curled nicely with conditioner on it. I was excited because, by using the Shingling Technique, I got good def. It all depends on your hair. Does it wave or curl up with conditioner on? If so, then yes, you can get def.

Start studying some naturals albums and find a lady who is closest to being your hair twin as possible then find out what products is working for her.

The flipside: You can get def. by doing twist/braid outs with the curling custard and other such products.

One last thing, don't get caught up in curl definintion, if you find you don't have it, well...you don't have it...continue to love your hair for what it is and let it be and do it's thing..
HTH

~op~

caligirl

I have found only one combination of products that gives me "curly" hair:
Aloe rid shampoo followed by kenra moisturizing conditioner then herbal essences replenishing conditioner as a leave in. Brush thru sections with denman d3. Doing this gives me 3c ringlets, especially in the back where its not as coarse. Also, braidouts with perm rods on the ends will give anyone curl definition.

Phoenix

When I was natural (4a/b) I got good results by conditioner washing with Thermasilk Curl Defining Conditioner, brushing with a Denman brush while conditioner was on (can't remember the number) and then using Aura Elixir as a leave-in. I think the Aura Elixir has been discontinued...but it's a knock-off of Aveda Elixir, which I think they still make.

curlyj

ABSOLUTELY!

My hair is 4a but not as thick as say my MOM(4a/b and super thick)...but the heavier the product the worse off. Try to stick to light products...I use and love....
Kids Organics Shea Moisturizer
Kids Organics Curl Keeper
Aussie (3 minute miracle-DO NOT WASH OUT)
Nubian Heritage- Raw Shea Butter
Lime and Mango - No more Itch Growth Spray ( not really for curls, but what I've found is that the more you keep natural hair SUPER MOISTURIZED the more curls you will have)
Black and Saay is pretty good to if you require more hold, but nec. if you wash often...

* Note: I used to feel I could only achieve big bouncy shiny curls via hair gels, that’s actually the worse product to use, b/c its just too weighty and usually makes curls(if you do get them) smaller in size and VERY DRY.
Also, CW help with overall curl difinition....(I use Sauve Naturals: milk and Honey)

All in all, it’s about finding which products combined will give you the definition, moisture and hold that you desire...I never had curls B4...Also the more natural the products ingredients the better for your hair and CURL DIFINITON!

Attachments

• sh2.jpg
    sh2.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 494
  • lhcf.jpg
    lhcf.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 494
  • side lhc.jpg
    side lhc.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 489

*ElleB

Thanks ladies, and Onepraying I get what u r saying, but I didnt mean to make it sound like some self hatred madness, I feel ya on that, cuz that is not the case over here.

caligirl

@CurlyJ:

Look what you done started! After seeing your pics, I'm taking notes on all the products you use. And I promised myself no more products...

Lucia

curlyj said:
ABSOLUTELY!

My hair is 4a but not as thick as say my MOM(4a/b and super thick)...but the heavier the product the worse off. Try to stick to light products...I use and love....
Lime and Mango - No more Itch Growth Spray ( not really for curls, but what I've found is that the more you keep natural hair SUPER MOISTURIZED the more curls you will have)
Black and Saay is pretty good to if you require more hold, but nec. if you wash often...

* Note: I used to feel I could only achieve big bouncy shiny curls via hair gels, that’s actually the worse product to use, b/c its just too weighty and usually makes curls(if you do get them) smaller in size and VERY DRY.
Also, CW help with overall curl difinition....(I use Sauve Naturals: milk and Honey)

All in all, it’s about finding which products combined will give you the definition, moisture and hold that you desire...I never had curls B4...Also the more natural the products ingredients the better for your hair and CURL DIFINITON!
ITA when I do a steam deep con treatment, my hair has too many curls, and they're all defined, even when I just steam w/ plain water.
I thought that the thicker your hair is the more/heavier products you need on it to keep the curl def. I'll have to try less products then, cause the gels always get heavy and sticky. thanks for the tips

Lucia

caligirl said:
@Lucia:

How do you do a steam deep conditioner treatment?

I bought a table top hair steamer, I have a link in my journal
I put in con and sit under the steamer for a good 30 mins or until the water runs out, then rinse the cond out . If I steam 2x/week then I just CW , rinse out then sit under the steamer w/ water and no product on my hair when I need extra moisture. hth

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
*ElleB said:
Thanks ladies, and Onepraying I get what u r saying, but I didnt mean to make it sound like some self hatred madness, I feel ya on that, cuz that is not the case over here.
You didn't sound like that I felt I had to say it, if not for you, but for the other who may be reading this..;)

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
caligirl said:
@CurlyJ:

Look what you done started! After seeing your pics, I'm taking notes on all the products you use. And I promised myself no more products...
I know right????:lol: :grin: :lol: :grin:

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
Uh...I just gave some basic info, you ladies went all out...I'm heading in this curl dif. direction any way.
thanks yall!!!!

caligirl

Lucia said:
I bought a table top hair steamer, I have a link in my journal
I put in con and sit under the steamer for a good 30 mins or until the water runs out, then rinse the cond out . If I steam 2x/week then I just CW , rinse out then sit under the steamer w/ water and no product on my hair when I need extra moisture. hth

Ahh man, (adds to shopping list) "steamer."

ajargon02

*ElleB said:

As a natural, I just need water,conditioner and my fingers to put my curls into place.

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
curlyj said:
ABSOLUTELY!

You are cool! :up:

The products you named, tell us HOW you are using them..pretty please:grin:

curlyj

Quick Tips:
1.) CW with Suave
2.) Aussie 3 min.(comb)
3.) Spritz edges and 1-2" on ends with Lime and MAngo
4.) saturate with Kids Organics Shea Moisturizer
(for more hold use Curl Keeper- same brand)
5.) Add Black and Sassy (dime size) and scrunch(I have to b/c my hair is a bit wavy in the front-with no real curls)
6.) I tie it up with a scarf
7.) Once dried(usually takes a day)or half dried secure with knee high stocking in color that matches you hair....To prevent damage soak in oil b4 using...

I forgot my oils...I use MTG on scalp in the summer(all over in the winter) and Coconut Oil-Dubar Anmol(www.eastwestbazaar.com)

Just bought WGO-will tell you how that goes...my edges have been insanely bushy since MTG, so this has been helping to smooth them out....

OOOPS...for slicking hair back use Elasta Qp Mango Butter...also good for ends if you wear your puff for a couple of days....w/out washing again, just as a refresher. I like to pick individual curls and pull the product through- gives instant shine and MORE IMPORTANTLY MOISTURE!

Also, try sealing ends with oil(a.foil and use flat iron) EVOO is great...My hair is very curly after this treatment...Works great on really thick hair(my mom can attest to this)

Oh, about the heavy products- my mom used to use heavy products b/c her hair is super duper thick, and now that she has switched to most of the above mentioned products she has more curls....She doesnt however use all the products above at the same time- she has a much simplified routine- its all about the moisture level...My hair used to be EXTREMELY DRY and not alot of curl/wave...its possible.

This Steaming sounds great, as you can i am PJ...No more! At least for a while

so1913

curlyj said:
Quick Tips:
1.) CW with Suave
2.) Aussie 3 min.(comb)
5.) Add Black and Sassy (dime size) and scrunch(I have to b/c my hair is a bit wavy in the front-with no real curls)
7.) Once dried(usually takes a day)or half dried secure with knee high stocking in color that matches you hair....To prevent damage soak in oil b4 using...

I forgot my oils...I use MTG on scalp in the summer(all over in the winter) and Coconut Oil-Dubar Anmol(www.eastwestbazaar.com)

Just bought WGO-will tell you how that goes...my edges have been insanely bushy since MTG, so this has been helping to smooth them out....

OOOPS...for slicking hair back use Elasta Qp Mango Butter...also good for ends if you wear your puff for a couple of days....w/out washing again, just as a refresher. I like to pick individual curls and pull the product through- gives instant shine and MORE IMPORTANTLY MOISTURE!

Also, try sealing ends with oil(a.foil and use flat iron) EVOO is great...My hair is very curly after this treatment...Works great on really thick hair(my mom can attest to this)

Oh, about the heavy products- my mom used to use heavy products b/c her hair is super duper thick, and now that she has switched to most of the above mentioned products she has more curls....She doesnt however use all the products above at the same time- she has a much simplified routine- its all about the moisture level...My hair used to be EXTREMELY DRY and not alot of curl/wave...its possible.

This Steaming sounds great, as you can i am PJ...No more! At least for a while

I LOVE your avatar and attached photos!!! If you have an album, I'd love to check it out :)
What Black N' Sassy product do you use?

Last edited:

*ElleB

onepraying said:
You didn't sound like that I felt I had to say it, if not for you, but for the other who may be reading this..;)

It's all good.... No offense taken...I know what's relli good over here :)

*ElleB

curlyj said:
Quick Tips:
1.) CW with Suave
2.) Aussie 3 min.(comb)

Oh, about the heavy products- my mom used to use heavy products b/c her hair is super duper thick, and now that she has switched to most of the above mentioned products she has more curls....She doesnt however use all the products above at the same time- she has a much simplified routine- its all about the moisture level...My hair used to be EXTREMELY DRY and not alot of curl/wave...its possible...

The brand is called "Kids"...I never seen that b4. Interesting.

Carlie

My hair is 4a and VERY thick. I like to use Smooth n' Shine Gel w. Aloe vera for my Wash/Shake/Go styles. It leave my hair VERY soft. Fantasia IC Gel is great on my hair as well. :yep:

curlyj

Hello Ladies!

Kids organics by Africa's Best-(1) Curl Keeper and (2)Shea Moisturizer

Black and Sassy- Setting Cream(comes in a tub-like most cholesterol conditoners come in)

All of the above products are VERy inexpensive- $2.99-3.99

Curly J