How Can a Moisturizer Make Your Hair Dry?

Solitude

I keep seeing people write this ("xyz moisturizer really dried my hair out....") and I really don't understand how a moisturizing product can dry out your hair, especially the ones that don't contain mineral oil, etc?

Any thoughts on this?

I think that some of these people's hair may be damaged and unable to absorb the moisturizing ingredients in the product.

I also see people talking about how no-lye dried their hair out. Again, I'm like :huh:. I've been relaxed for over 10 years with no-lye and I've never had any dry hair issues besides dry ends when I was using heat styling tools too often.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like it's not so much about product as it is technique and the overall health of your hair. I use shampoo with and without sulfates, products with cones, mineral oil, petroleum, and so on....still, no dry hair.

for me it depends on the weather and not the moisturiser or product used. when i'm in a humid country, my hair thrives and there is little or no breakage. but in a very cold or dry country, no matter the number of times i moisturise, the hair breaks and sheds like ive just had a baby.

I think people using a product that is high in protein (Infusium, Pink Oil Moisturizer) end up getting hard hair from the protein, which doesn't feel moisturized. Also a product like Shea Butter or any butter or cream or EVOO on my hair feels good on application and then dries up turning my hair into a rough brush. Can't explain the phenomenon there. Maybe as the product dries it robs my hair of moisture (kinda like water-based lotions do to my skin). *shrug* But I've seen it happen to my hair when I've used "so-called moisturizers" that others love.

ETA: Also products with glycerin or other humectants draw water into themselves, so that if the weather is humid, then they will bring in more water onto your hair keeping it feeling moisturized. However, if the air is dry, the humectant laden moisturizer you applied draws moisture from wherever it can find it, in this case your hair, and so leaves your hair dry as a bone.

Last edited:
Neutrogena Silk touch leave in makes my hair dry I suspect its in result of all the cones in it... I don't know

Maybe the product just doesn't cut it, maybe it just didn't moisture in the first place making someone think it made the hair dryer.

I agree that is the case at times. There were products that didn't work well for me at the beginning of my hhj, but then after trying them later on they worked perfectly, so sometimes the technique and condition of the hair does play a factor. A person's diet, lifestyle, and climate may also have a role in their hair's ability to absorb certain products.

well, everyone's hair is different and it isn't always about their technique. my hair is healthy but there are some moisturizers that just don't work for me. i also think that sometimes people need to clarify before a moisturizer will work.

Any protein (other than wheat or silk amino acids) in a moisturizer will dry my hair out with the quickness. Cones and mineral/lanolin oils tend to build up on my hair and block moisture so I stopped using them. Product buildup can also dry hair out. Some people's hair likes oil based, other water based. It's all about trial and error to find what works for you.

for me it depends on the weather and not the moisturiser or product used. when i'm in a humid country, my hair thrives and there is little or no breakage. but in a very cold or dry country, no matter the number of times i moisturise, the hair breaks and sheds like ive just had a baby.

This is also something I didn't experience when I had my son. I never heard of postpartum shedding until I joined LHCF.

I think people using a product that is high in protein (Infusium, Pink Oil Moisturizer) end up getting hard hair from the protein, which doesn't feel moisturized. Also a product like Shea Butter or any butter or cream or EVOO on my hair feels good on application and then dries up turning my hair into a rough brush. Can't explain the phenomenon there. Maybe as the product dries it robs my hair of moisture (kinda like water-based lotions do to my skin). *shrug* But I've seen it happen to my hair when I've used "so-called moisturizers" that others love.

ETA: Also products with glycerin or other humectants draw water into themselves, so that if the weather is humid, then they will bring in more water onto your hair keeping it feeling moisturized. However, if the air is dry, the humectant laden moisturizer you applied draws moisture from wherever it can find it, in this case your hair, and so leaves your hair dry as a bone.

Now that you mention it there was one moisturizer I used - I think it was Soft and Beautiful with glycerin that didn't agree with my hair. It made my hair feel kind of sticky.

My thing is that a lot of it seems to be the power of suggestion. Like with protein - the common believe is that you can easily get "protein overload" so people start to claim it whether they have it or not....I don't know, just my random opinion.

I think it can.:yep: Especially if it is "Water based" but it still contains things like Aloe or Glycerin (I hear alot of ladies say it dries out their hair). Not to mention, if it contains some form of protein, alcohol(s).:perplexed

So, my answer is yes, IMO: I think some 'Moisturizers' can be dry your hair out, if the ingredients are such.:yep:

I think it can.:yep: Especially if it is "Water based" but it still contains things like Aloe or Glycerin (I hear alot of ladies say it dries out their hair). Not to mention, if it contains some form of protein, alcohol(s).:perplexed

So, my answer is yes, IMO: I think some 'Moisturizers' can be dry your hair out, if the ingredients are such.:yep:

I guess I'm just lucky because I use a ton of protein - and a couple of products with alcohol, etc.

I guess my concern is that people are focusing too much on the product and not the actual state of their hair. I mean, I literally use everything on the "forbidden" ingredient list with no problems -

ETA: wait I do avoid products with glycerin high on the list, but I discovered that mainly after purchasing pure glycerin and trying to mix it with water for moisturizing....not just from a product with glycerin in it.

The same way some lotions can leave your skin ashy 5 minutes after you put it on - if I use any Vaseline lotion products, I may as well not use anything at all my skin will be so dry and cracked, but I'm good to go with Eucerin or even Nivea. With my hair, it's Elasta QP Moisturizer - terrible! Give me my NTM or HS 14 in 1 any day. But that's what works for me - everyone is different and some ladies' hair loves QP.

Everyone's hair is not the same so it's going to react to products differently. Just like I know people who can use Sauve lotion on their skin and it works just fine but if I try that I'll be an ashy mess. You have to consider the porosity , coarseness,and hair type of a person. Also all moisturizers aren't created equal. Some products are just a bunch of crap that coat the hair but do not truly moisturize. I used to think I was moisturizing my hair w/certain products but they were really just coating my hair w/oil. It can also depend on the season of the year, other products used (shampoo, dc etc...) and how it interacts, and the style. My hair is healthy but if I use Pink Oil to moisturize daily I don't it will be as healthy and moisturized as it is now.

That's definitely contradicting but not to sound like a chime but I agree with what a few people said. With any moisturizer ingredients is key, just because the bottle says 'moisturizer' doesn't mean it will really do the job. Take for instance, a moisturizer or leave in that starts off with mineral oil or a bunch of cones in it's ingredients will definitely not do any real moisturizing besides coating your hair like plastic wrap and hiding the truth, lol... that's the way I see it.

I think ppl need to also pay attention to the ingredients their shampoos and conditioners contain. If you are constantly suffering from dryness and you think you're doing everything right, read your ingredients, chances are there is something blocking your progress.

btw coconut oil is awesome :)

I have tried moisturizing products and as soon as I put them in my clean dry hair my hair feels dry and wet at the same time. That is how I can tell if the product is not good for my hair.

That's definitely contradicting but not to sound like a chime but I agree with what a few people said. With any moisturizer ingredients is key, just because the bottle says 'moisturizer' doesn't mean it will really do the job. Take for instance, a moisturizer or leave in that starts off with mineral oil or a bunch of cones in it's ingredients will definitely not do any real moisturizing besides coating your hair like plastic wrap and hiding the truth, lol... that's the way I see it.

I think ppl need to also pay attention to the ingredients their shampoos and conditioners contain. If you are constantly suffering from dryness and you think you're doing everything right, read your ingredients, chances are there is something blocking your progress.

ITA. Once I stopped using products with mineral oils and petroleum, I only have to add more moisturizer like every 3rd day instead of every day...Because all mineral oils and petroleum does is coat the hair....

I have experienced this numerous times. I can put a product on my hair and it will feels great...then a few minutes later, it's like I put nothing on my hair. Think of it this way, you get caught in the rain, your hair is wet - very moisturized, right? Well, what happens when your hair dries...I know for me, my hair is going to look a mess and it is going to be very dry. That is how some "moisturizers" work for me, they go on wet, then dry. Even worse, my hair will feel greasy, but look very very dull and dry.

I have to go back and add - I agree with Stella - coconut oil is awesome - no mixed results with that product for me!

Last edited:

ETA: I came back into my original post to say, even alot of 'moisturizers' with Silicones even thought they may be a water based moisturizer, the 'Cones' once applied can Block additional moisture from penetrating your hair.

So, yes, I do believe you can get moisture from a certain product and that same product can also lead to dryness.:perplexed

Some of the ingridients suffocate the hair... same thing happens to skin...
Hop out the shower, your skin is still moist, ie it has water in it, youquickly put on baby oil and you are soft as a baby's arse all day- well, i am....

Let me walk out that steamed bathroom into my dry bedroom air and within 2 min, the moisture from the steam has evaporated off my skin, I try to put oil on at this point, I am just kinda, oily, and as soon as i rub it off on clothes or furniture i am ashy... Same thing happens to your hair... A moisturizer that has alot of sillicones, oils and humectants in it should be applied to wet hair... it will seal in the moisture from the water already on your hair keeping it moisturized... If you put that same moisturizer on dry hair it will suffocate it blocking out moisture from getting in or some people have said that the humectant will take the moisture out of your hair in this scenario. i have not experienced the latter....

I find that i need to clarify to make sure there is nothing on my hair blocking moisture entry, add moisture in the form of water based products, water, aloe and rose water, and seal it with a sillicone humectant blend product like wave nouveau, hawain silky or my aloe rose water glycerin mix, and seal that with cocnut oil or shea butter ( the real stuff)

I agree with most, my hair only does well with products like S curl or HS 14 IN 1! If I use oils like coconut, olive, or shea butter or shea butter based products it dries my hair out, it just don't work for me at the moment, Now when my hair gets longer I will try them again but for now they don't work! My hair gets dry! Different Strokes for Different Folks!

Also a product like Shea Butter or any butter or cream or EVOO on my hair feels good on application and then dries up turning my hair into a rough brush. Can't explain the phenomenon there.

I have that SAME problem with EVOO.

i agree also with the most , coconut oil ( the whight one) dries my hair out. but i really like on my skin.

The same way some lotions can leave your skin ashy 5 minutes after you put it on - if I use any Vaseline lotion products, I may as well not use anything at all my skin will be so dry and cracked, but I'm good to go with Eucerin or even Nivea. With my hair, it's Elasta QP Moisturizer - terrible! Give me my NTM or HS 14 in 1 any day. But that's what works for me - everyone is different and some ladies' hair loves QP.

Wow! I looove me some Elasta QP mango butter!

ITA. Once I stopped using products with mineral oils and petroleum, I only have to add more moisturizer like every 3rd day instead of every day...Because all mineral oils and petroleum does is coat the hair....

I see what you ladies are saying, but, for my hair, mineral oil is not that bad. I agree that people should look at ingredients, but honestly, I don't pay that much attention to ingredients. It's just so cumbersome.

As far as mineral oil and petroleum, specifically, I think they can work to seal in moisture just like all the other oils that people rave about. The same way that petroleum is considered a skin protectant, I don't see why it can't protect your hair from the elements.

I believe Chicora used petroleum jelly for a long time before she started using un-petroleum jelly - ok, I actually found a post by her from her blog.

http://beautifybitbybit-chicoro.blogspot.com/2008/12/how-to-strategically-seal-natural-afro.html

Some of the ingridients suffocate the hair... same thing happens to skin...
Hop out the shower, your skin is still moist, ie it has water in it, youquickly put on baby oil and you are soft as a baby's arse all day- well, i am....

Let me walk out that steamed bathroom into my dry bedroom air and within 2 min, the moisture from the steam has evaporated off my skin, I try to put oil on at this point, I am just kinda, oily, and as soon as i rub it off on clothes or furniture i am ashy... Same thing happens to your hair... A moisturizer that has alot of sillicones, oils and humectants in it should be applied to wet hair... it will seal in the moisture from the water already on your hair keeping it moisturized... If you put that same moisturizer on dry hair it will suffocate it blocking out moisture from getting in or some people have said that the humectant will take the moisture out of your hair in this scenario. i have not experienced the latter....

I find that i need to clarify to make sure there is nothing on my hair blocking moisture entry, add moisture in the form of water based products, water, aloe and rose water, and seal it with a sillicone humectant blend product like wave nouveau, hawain silky or my aloe rose water glycerin mix, and seal that with cocnut oil or shea butter ( the real stuff)

I need to try what you wrote in bold about using water first. Our weather changed yesterday and was kind of cool out. My hair felt dry to touch because the moisturizer that I use contains glycerin (a humectant), which is the 2nd ingredient in the moisturizer. That's a big change in comparison to Tuesday, because my hair felt nice and moisturized.

Update 3-26-10: It didn't work, my hair hates glycerin.
:yep:

Last edited:
I have no idea of how but ask Elasta QP's Recovery Oil Moisturizer I promise it can tell you and if it can't smh

This is what I was going to say as well.:yep:

Back