Why do people with relaxed hair have dry HAIR?????

Lovly

I just want to know why most black women who relax their hair suffer with dry hair and scalp?
I read Shamboosie's book and he said to use lye relaxers. But the hairdressers put no lye in your hair anyway, and they do not give u a choice.
I thought that Affirm was no lye, but I realise that they have no lye and lye. The women on this forum who use no lye, their hair seem to be more shiny and silky.
What is the case if your hair is already no lye, do u cut off all and start a fresh?
Even though I read Shamboosie's book, I was still being fooled thinking I was getting the no lye. And I have both dry hair and dry scalp.
Why are the maufacturers doing this harm to us, when they know the no lye is no good? And the hairdressers for that matter too.
Could someone give me some advice as to what I need to do to remedy the dry hair syndrome, and what I can do regarding the lye and no lye, if the hype about dry and not dry is true.

Re: Why do people with relaxed hair have dry HAIR?

I think the manufacturers continue to make the no-lye relaxer because it is less harsh on the scalp and individuals with super-resistant hair fare better with a no-lye relaxer.

Now as far as your situation goes. If you don't have a super-sensitive scalp or very resistant hair, you should switch to a lye relaxer. It is not customary for a salon to tell you that you're receiving a lye relaxer but then "trick" you and use a no-lye. This is cause for changing salons baby! This is not a normal practice. I do not feel that it is necessary to chop off all of your hair that has been treated with the no-lye. Just take extra special care of that hair and pamper it to the fullest of the fullest degree
smile.gif

Good Luck
up.gif

Sad thing is supergirl that I think it is normal practice.
Hairdressers have attempted to switch on me numerous times. I also suspect but haven't caught them using super whenI asked for mild.

<font color="brown">Even though some people are partial to the lye relaxer; do you think that the no-lye relaxers with "nuts &amp; berries" are better than the regular one i.e. Organics no-lye by Africa's Best or Dax no-lye?
confused.gif
Somehow I've managed to convince myself that these particular relaxers offer some added benefit to my hair because they have herbs and oils in the base, neutralizing shampoo, and conditioner...
ohwell.gif
Can I be converted?
crystalball.gif
...Is there still hope for the lye relaxer?
huh.gif
R U sure it's ok to use lye relaxer if you've been using no-lye?.....trying to keep all the hair I got!
think.gif
</font>

And as to the dry hair - Shamboosie recommends a moisturizing conditioner in his book - every 4 days. Keep reading
wink.gif
he doesn't leave you without solutions.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
And as to the dry hair - Shamboosie recommends a moisturizing conditioner in his book - every 4 days. Keep reading
wink.gif
he doesn't leave you without solutions.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No he doesn't. He does have a moisture system he recommends and I think it works great.
smile.gif

One thing that has made a MAJOR difference in the softness of my hair is using distilled water as a final rinse. I highly recommend it.

[ QUOTE ]
UmSumayyah said:
One thing that has made a MAJOR difference in the softness of my hair is using distilled water as a final rinse. I highly recommend it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Same here.

Well, when I was relaxed, I did have dry hair, but not a dry scalp. When you relax you break down the cuticles to mold your hair into the new shape, you lose moisture. You must replace that moisture or your hair is going to be dry. If you relax your hair to bone straight, I think your hair is going to be even more dry. Mine was, I had to really moisturize to keep my hair feeling good.

I use lye relaxers. When I used no-lye relaxers, my hair was dry, dry, dry. I'm so glad I made the switch to lye relaxers. However, I have always had a very oily scalp (and still do).

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
I use lye relaxers. When I used no-lye relaxers, my hair was dry, dry, dry. I'm so glad I made the switch to lye relaxers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. I got a corrective relaxer in the early/mid 90's and my hair was in much better shape.
smile.gif
My relaxed hair was also dry because I never moisturized it in the beginning.
blush.gif
That ruined the 'blowing in the wind' look that I wanted. After one too many hairs 'blew off my head' I started moisturizing!
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
MoezThunder said:
<font color="brown">Even though some people are partial to the lye relaxer; do you think that the no-lye relaxers with "nuts &amp; berries" are better than the regular one i.e. Organics no-lye by Africa's Best or Dax no-lye?
confused.gif
Somehow I've managed to convince myself that these particular relaxers offer some added benefit to my hair because they have herbs and oils in the base, neutralizing shampoo, and conditioner...
ohwell.gif
Can I be converted?
crystalball.gif
...Is there still hope for the lye relaxer?
huh.gif
R U sure it's ok to use lye relaxer if you've been using no-lye?.....trying to keep all the hair I got!
think.gif
</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
<font color="orange">BUMP! BUMP!
look.gif
</font>

[ QUOTE ]
That ruined the 'blowing in the wind' look that I wanted. After one too many hairs 'blew off my head' I started moisturizing!

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Why are the maufacturers doing this harm to us, when they know the no lye is no good?

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter if it is a Lye or NoLye. They both cause the same type of damage along with the dryness. After all, 'Affirm fiberguard' is a NoLye and people use them happily. They continue to sell us the relaxers because it is in great demand.
The best method is to moisturize your hair daily. 'Care free Curl Gold' is good. It leaves the hair really soft.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Why are the maufacturers doing this harm to us, when they know the no lye is no good? And the hairdressers for that matter too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's intentional. No-lye works for a lot of people. Look at Peachtree!
smile.gif
And Honeycomb's friend that uses Soft &amp; Beautiful. They both have moisturized, gorgeous, healthy, LONG relaxed hair that moves.

Yep, and I still had long hair when I was using a No-Lye. I've only been using the Lye for 2.5 years.

Jubilee,

I didn't know that the Fiberguard was No-Lye. Thanks for that info. I was thinking of switching.

CH said that she had been using 'Affirm Fiberguard NoLye' for fifth-teen years without any problems.

[ QUOTE ]
Tchutchuca said:
What does fiberguard do diferently?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never used it, but I got this from avlon.com:

For the very first time, a relaxer preserves the tensile strength and elasticity of hair, while it creates a silky-straight texture. No other relaxer system on the market can honestly make this promise. . .only FiberGuard.

Conditioning Creme Relaxer
Available in Regular (Sodium Hydroxide) and Sensitive Scalp (Guanidine Hydroxide) formulas. Both formulas are available in Mild, Normal and Resistant Strengths. (Patented)

Formulated with compounds capable of retarding osmotic pressure build-up, and with a new patented cationic polymer for state-of-the art, longer-lasting conditioning.

Significantly less damaging than conventional relaxers.

Deposits and locks-in conditioners within the hair fiber.

Makes hair soft, silky and so easy to comb.

Sensitive Scalp Formula provides maximum scalp comfort for those with dry and sensitive scalp conditions.

I switched from no-lye to lye a couple of years ago with no problems or damage.

Well my hair seems drier when natural, but I think the curl/coil texture soaks up moisture. I continuously have to apply moisture to my hair now.

I agree that no lye relaxers are hard on hair. My hair never did well w/ them and I constantly had problems. Lye relaxers are better for the hair. I will never use a no lye relaxer again! :nono:

Often its the result of no-lye relaxers. The calcium component in them is deposited on the hair, creating a barrier to moisture and causing the hair to be dry. Some people have dry hair anyway, with or without a relaxer. I've read Shamboosie's book too.

Last edited:
I am going to try the distillled water, thanks Allandra :)

What has really helped me with maintaining shiny soft hair and less dryness is deep conditioning with Mane N Tail conditioner for 20 mins/ 1 a week.. it is especially good if you have color added to your hair ... like me

I wish you the best, the key is to find out what works for your hair type..

lavnder said:
I am going to try the distillled water, thanks Allandra :)

What has really helped me with maintaining shiny soft hair and less dryness is deep conditioning with Mane N Tail conditioner for 20 mins/ 1 a week.. it is especially good if you have color added to your hair ... like me

I wish you the best, the key is to find out what works for your hair type..
Great. I hope it works out for ya.

OMG,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

I have used Affirm Fibreguard for my past 2 relaxers, I have never thought that it came in Lye or No Lye. I am really worried now. I assumed it was Lye
Shall I ring my salon and ask, or my next relaxer in the next 12 weeks shall I make sure I check then

I hope I am not killing my hair!!!

Kizzy

Back