How Anemia affected my hair

DaPPeR

NIBERIANGIRL
You know my doctor told me about 3 years ago that I have low blood and I started taking iron pills daily but then I stopped. My hair thrived then but now :ohwell::ohwell::ohwell:. My mom recently chimed in and said "You can use all the MTG and MN in the world, your hair will eventually break off". Still didnt listen, but reading your story changed things. Sometimes you just have to hear someone else's story to listen. Tommorrow morning im going to my Wal-Mart and buying me some iron pills. All this progress WILL NOT go down the drain (plus you know overall health :lachen:)

AvaSpeaks

Would a multi-vitamin w/ iron work?

Not if your anemic. You would need more than the Iron in the Multivitamin.

Again, that's why I say, DO NOT start taking Iron just because your hair is breaking off or because you think you might be anemic. Let the doctor tell you if you are or not because the Anemia can also sometimes be a symptom of something else.

For example, some AIDS patients can become anemic, in that case, the Anemia is a sympton, not the main problem.

And also, just because your hair is breaking off, DOES NOT mean you are anemic. People hair's, especially Black American women's hair, breaks off of lost of reasons, some are related to blood issues and some aren't.

AvaSpeaks

You know my doctor told me about 3 years ago that I have low blood and I started taking iron pills daily but then I stopped. My hair thrived then but now :ohwell::ohwell::ohwell:. My mom recently chimed in and said "You can use all the MTG and MN in the world, your hair will eventually break off". Still didnt listen, but reading your story changed things. Sometimes you just have to hear someone else's story to listen. Tommorrow morning im going to my Wal-Mart and buying me some iron pills. All this progress WILL NOT go down the drain (plus you know overall health :lachen:)

I cannot stress this enough! If you have low iron or anemic, then only take the Iron that the doctor gives you. Not from the store, simply because he/she will give you the proper dosage that you NEED to take and the correct Iron that you should be taking. Ferrous or Iron Sulfate.

Thank you ladies...If any of u ladies think your are anemic, you should go to your physican and get a check up.. Iron can be fatal if your body does not need it.. I alternate between the slow FE iron and feosol brand..Which both can be purchased at Walmart..I also take mine with vit.c and b-vit..This helps with absorption.. Drink plenty of water also.As iron is not stomach friendly for most :sad:.. You have to take care of the body from the inside out..There are also other condtions that can affect the health of one's hair also..Besides being anemic coming to this board has helped me alot..I learn how to properly take of my hair from all u wonderful ladies..It's a blessing to see everyone working together and lifting a helping hand..:grin: