Effects of Anemia on hair growth?

MissLawyerLady

What are the effects of anemia on hair health/growth?

I recently found out that I'm anemic and my doctor has put me on prenatals to correct, but I wanted to know what effect anemia has on my hair.

Thanks for responding

laurend

You can lose some hair. I had some minor hair loss on the top of my head last year because I was anemic from having fibroids. No more fibroids but I still take my multivitamin with iron everyday

Iluvsmuhgrass

I have anemia and when I'm low on iron, my hair gets thinner. I've been on a multi-vitamin and using henna. My growth is thicker and I'm liking the henna thing so we'll see how this year goes.

AvaSpeaks

What are the effects of anemia on hair health/growth?

I recently found out that I'm anemic and my doctor has put me on prenatals to correct, but I wanted to know what effect anemia has on my hair.

Thanks for responding

Severe anemia can make your hair break off and stop growing.

For years, I couldn't figure out why my hair would get a certain length and then break off, but all the women in my family had long hair. Well I am anemic and I am on Iron medication.

If you are really really anemic, taking a multivitamin with Iron won't still help you. Your doctor will prescribe the amount of Iron you need to take to bring your blood level back up.

Nonie

Anemia is caused by low iron. What is iron needed in the body for? Red blood cells. What do red blood cells do? Carry oxygen to the cells of the body; they also carry the carbon dioxide away from cells. So if you have low iron, even if you have good circulation from exercise or massage or just good health, your hair follicles get starved of the oxygen they need for normal hair growth. I imagine that carbon dioxide is also not removed as it should be and perhaps the follicles get clogged making it hard for them to receive other necessary nutrients. The result is stunted growth or complete damage to the follicles and inevitably hairloss.

Traycee

I have had anemia for years and it never hurt my hair...I deal with being extremely cold all the time......dry mouth..I suck on a lot of ice-cubes & drink a lot of water....I fight fatigue .

But never had problems with my hair.............

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I have had anemia for years and it never hurt my hair...I deal with being extremely cold all the time......dry mouth..I suck on a lot of ice-cubes & drink a lot of water....I fight fatigue .

Everything u mentioned is the same with me but I do wanna get on some type of iron pills to improve my health overall!:yep:

Nonie

I do take prescribed iron and I also try to eat iron-enriched foods

That explains why your anemia hasn't affected your hair. As long as you're getting iron somehow, the deficiency that would lead to hair problems is kept in check.

hairmaster

How do you know? Do you take iron to controle the anemia? Just think if you didn't have anemia how long your hair might be..

Traycee

How do you know? Do you take iron to controle the anemia? Just think if you didn't have anemia how long your hair might be..

I got really sick one day about 10 years ago...Thats how I found out..I have a really hard time during my menstrual but, God is good!! I'm doing really good now.....

I do wonder how long my hair would be ......I always stay between APL and BSL...I haven't been past BSL in a least 15 years:wallbash:

mochatrini

Just chiming in to what all of the other ladies said and I totally agree I was severely anemic and never correlated it to my "stunted" hair growth no matter what my hair was dry, lackluster, and stunted not realizing that it was due to iron deficiency. Doctor placed me on iron supplements to prepare me for surgery last summer and I have been taking them faithfully since then and now that I am a part of LHCF I know that my hair is going to make a complete 360. Overall the iron supplements have helped me for sure no longer fatigued, stopped chewing ice constantly and I dare to say that I have cracked a code in my hair mystery!!!!:grin:

Traycee

Just chiming in to what all of the other ladies said and I totally agree I was severely anemic and never correlated it to my "stunted" hair growth no matter what my hair was dry, lackluster, and stunted not realizing that it was due to iron deficiency. Doctor placed me on iron supplements to prepare me for surgery last summer and I have been taking them faithfully since then and now that I am a part of LHCF I know that my hair is going to make a complete 360. Overall the iron supplements have helped me for sure no longer fatigued, stopped chewing ice constantly and I dare to say that I have cracked a code in my hair mystery!!!!:grin:

Isn't the ice thing a trip!!!!

Isis

Hair breaking off, thinning and getting shorter seemingly out-of-the-blue is what led me to visit my doctor, who did a blood (hemoglobin) test and discovered I was anemic. Although I knew nothing about hair care at the time, this has nothing to do with hair care. It's about getting red blood cells to the scalp and roots (and throughout the body) to nourish them.

The doctor recommended iron supplements and the breakage stopped in its tracks literally within days. I went directly from the doctor to a nutritionist who made sure I understood to take iron at the same time as vitamin C, which helps the body absorb the iron.

BTW, I learned I have been anemic all of my life but it wasn't until a few years as an adult that this iron deficiency abruptly affected my hair.

For the ladies reading this--please don't start popping iron supplements without getting tested by the doctor first to see if you need them. Iron is toxic if your body doesn't need more.

MissLawyerLady

I never had a desire to chew ice but I did like the smell of gasoline--another symptom of anemia. :yep:

I love chemical smells and I chew ice constantly! My DH bought me a snowcone maker b/c he was sick of me taking all his crushed ice from the fridge!:lachen:

But seriously, my anemia is relatively recent- last year and a half- but I do know that my hair just doesn't seem to grow as fast as it did a few years ago. The doctor says I'm not severly anemic and that the prenatals should correct within three or four months. I figure I'll probably have to take some type of supplement long-term though. I think my amemia is related to my recently growing more fibroids.

Thanks for the replies. Any more responses?

mzhotniz86

im anemic and have been slipping on taking my iron. my doctor said my iron levels dropped on my last blood test and suggested i be put on birth control . but i REFUSED. im deathly afraid of bc cause of all the horror stories ive heard and read. op- what kind of prenatals do you take? i hate taking all these vitamins. i used to take multivitamin, iron, vitamin c and folic acid. its ridiculous!! i know i need to start taking my iron again though. i dont have any symptoms like eating ice or liking gasoline, but my periods are usually really heavy and my hair seems to not grow past a certain point without me gettin split ends, etc.

Everything Zen

I never had a desire to chew ice but I did like the smell of gasoline--another symptom of anemia. :yep:

I had no idea that liking the smell of gasoline (or any other chemical smells) was a sign of anemia. I like the smell of Pine Sol too. Hmmm.... I had a scare with anemia and low thyroid a few years back in college where I went from running 6 miles every other day and salsa dancing to barely having the energy to walk to class on campus. I was diagnosed with anemia then and stopped working out because of doctor's orders.

This thread is a helpful reminder to get some blood work done and a health screening since I'm starting my new job on the 21st. Thank you as always ladies!

MissLawyerLady

im anemic and have been slipping on taking my iron. my doctor said my iron levels dropped on my last blood test and suggested i be put on birth control . but i REFUSED. im deathly afraid of bc cause of all the horror stories ive heard and read. op- what kind of prenatals do you take? i hate taking all these vitamins. i used to take multivitamin, iron, vitamin c and folic acid. its ridiculous!! i know i need to start taking my iron again though. i dont have any symptoms like eating ice or liking gasoline, but my periods are usually really heavy and my hair seems to not grow past a certain point without me gettin split ends, etc.

My doctor told me to take an over-the-counter prenatal so I take One Source brand. I would have prefered a prescription brand though.

hairmaster

Try GNC for multivitamine with Iron and drink lots of water to insure you are allowing it to desolve and get into your blood.