Horizontal Length

Thiends

Many of us here have well-defined vertical length goals (ex: BSL, MBL, WL, HL etc). However, how many of you keep track of your horizontal length? This refers to how many of your strands reach the full length you are claiming, and thus, is a measure of how much your hair tapers. Hair that has great horizontal length is thick from root to tip and makes braids that do not taper. For instance:

RachelRourke1MENSYN_468x708.jpg

How is your horizontal length?

What are your horizontal length goals?

What do you think has prevented/promoted your horizontal length?

To answer my post, my horizontal length is a bit off because while my hair is thick from root to tip, the first 10 inches are tex-laxed, while the rest of the 16-18 inches are more strongly processed. The tex-laxed part has more volume, which makes it look thicker than the rest. I hope to grow out the more strongly processed length so that my hair goes back to how it used to be: The same thickness from root to tip. I love the untapered look of thick ends.

:look: Umm, I hope this doesn't turn out like that ceiling length thread. But I believe BSL, WL,etc are all ways of measuring hair vertically or you can use inches to be more precise. When I think of "horizontal" length, I think of how far you hair spans horizontally across your back (i.e from L shoulder to R shoulder). Or am I misunderstanding you initial post?

Last edited:
My horizontal length sucks! My hair always grows into this jacked up V, so i guess i'll be trimmng to get those thick blunts ends :ohwell:

"Hair that has great horizontal length is thick from root to tip and makes braids that do not taper."

im pretty sure if this hair was braided, it would taper off, at LEAST a bit.

Last edited:
My horizontal length sucks! My hair always grows into this jacked up V, so i guess i'll be trimmng to get those thick blunts ends :ohwell:
Do you think that is how your hair naturally grows, or might there be something in your regimen causing just enough breakage to damage your horizontal length, but still permit long hair?
Or am I misunderstanding you initial post?
Yes, you are. I gave a pretty detailed explanation, complete with a picture. I am not sure what else I can do.

My final goal is to have a nice, thick length from root to ends. Not totally blunt, but with slight layers.

My hair is growing in some extreme layers right now :lol:

At the nape - just above APL
At the sides - about 3 or 4 inches from APL
At the crown - Chin to shoulder length

It's growing this way because of the uneven cut I did when I BC'd AND my hair grows unevenly.

The nape grows much faster than any other part of my hair. lol

This is why I don't claim full SL yet even though a good amount of my hair touches them (when stretched) I only claim full chin at the moment.

I think I will even off my hair a bit when/if I reach full APL or BSL. :)

Do you think that is how your hair naturally grows, or might there be something in your regimen causing just enough breakage to damage your horizontal length, but still permit long hair?Yes, you are. I gave a pretty detailed explanation, complete with a picture. I am not sure what else I can do.

My hair grows into this shape since my sides are slow growing, so i will have to constantly trim to keep thick ends once i reach my goal

is this another way of saying "blunt" cut hair that does not thin towards the ends? Blunt hair is hair cut all one length and does not taper or have layers, and blunt long hair will produce braids that dont taper or get thinner towards the end of the braid.

Back