HOME HIGHLIGHTS!!

what is your experience?

• LOVED IT!!! Will do it again!!

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Okay... but will not repeat at home.. off to the salon next time

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • HATED IT!!! Will NEVER try it at home again!!

• Other...

• Total voters

Dee-Licious

I'm thinking about letting my cousin who perms my hair do me some highlights this week. Has anyone ever done this at home before.. if so how did it turn out and what kit did you use?

ETA.. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT KITS WORKED GREAT AND DID NOT

Last edited:

Peachtree

I did home highlights & LUV'D THEM!

.... well, mine weren't "true" highlights...
I used a highlight clip on piece :lol:
... see my siggy :)

nomoweavesfome

MsDanele1518 said:
I'm thinking about letting my cousin who perms my hair do me some highlights this week. Has anyone ever done this at home before.. if so how did it turn out and what kit did you use?

When i did home highlights I did the African Pride Hi Lites Kit. I did the lightest blonde which was tanzanian sand I think. It was great and my hair was the prettiest ever because of the technique i used. It comes with the cap that you tie underneath your chin and it's mistake proof. I did it twice (the second take was 2 weeks later) so my hair was a 1b, 27, 30 mix. I wanted just the top section and not the back and it came out the bomb! My hair was in a short pixie cut so the sides and back was dark . It was hot. my hair NEVER fell out either, but then again I was taking care of my hair and was using PHYTO products for colored hair even back then. Sadly, as my hair grew out I stoped taking care of it and now I'm in the predicament I'm in now. It came in the box for like 10.99 at the local BSS. I would do it again but no time soon I just did a jazzing jet black for the doo doo brown color.

nomoweavesfome

MsDanele1518 said:

When i did home highlights I did the African Pride Hi Lites Kit. I did the lightest blonde which was tanzanian sand I think. It was great and my hair was the prettiest ever because of the technique i used. It comes with the cap that you tie underneath your chin and it's mistake proof. I did it twice (the second take was 2 weeks later) so my hair was a 1b, 27, 30 mix. I wanted just the top section and not the back and it came out the bomb! My hair was in a short pixie cut so the sides and back was dark . It was hot. my hair NEVER fell out either, but then again I was taking care of my hair and was using PHYTO products for colored hair even back then. Sadly, as my hair grew out I stoped taking care of it and now I'm in the predicament I'm in now. It came in the box for like 10.99 at the local BSS. I would do it again but no time soon I just did a jazzing jet black for the doo doo brown color.

nomoweavesfome

MsDanele1518 said:

Shaniquah

I second that nomoweaves...I love African Pride Hilites...I've used almost every color except the reddish one (next on my list!!) I've tried a couple of other high-lighting kits, but received the best results from APH.

zzirvingj

Shaniquah said:
I second that nomoweaves...I love African Pride Hilites...I've used almost every color except the reddish one (next on my list!!) I've tried a couple of other high-lighting kits, but received the best results from APH.

Your hair is beautiful! I like the color. :)

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Shaniquah your color and hair is Beutiful, what exact color did you use for color in you album? TIA
Shaniquah said:

bluediamond0829

i had one of my friends back in college when they had just came out with the African pride kit do my highlights....they came out really pretty...i cant remember the color bcuz it was a very long time ago...but i do think i had a little breakage...my hair was short then.....

i did some highlights one time with a rinse it came out really nice...my mom loved the color....i just did the same method....thats when i had so many problems with hair dyes that i started using rinses to alter my hair colors.....it was a blondish brown color i believe....and showed up really great on my hair...then again it may have been because i was using so many other rinses that made it turn that color....

i just recently on Friday got some highlights done...i love them...because it gives me a different look...it was either me cut it short again, get a weave, or braids(because im in the grow out stage)....i'll take some pics of it...its a blondish color...and then in one area its more reddish color....its nice this was done professionaly by my stylist....im happy :)....but i kind of look like that girl from College Hill when she had her short do...or i thought i looked kind of Hispanic looking....

Shaniquah

:rosebud: Thanks ladies! I actually have several colors in my hair (reason why I'm trying to get my natural color back.) First it started with a hair dye (please don't ask me which one because I'll be darned if I can remember - a couple to be exact :eek: ) But the hi-lites are the APH kit and for the life of me I still can't remember which one - could be the Tanzania Sand. I get crazy with the hilites...my next try will be one of the red hilites.

nomoweavesfome

Shaniquah, your hair color IS the bomb! really nice- and I love your Bantu Knots and braid outs too! Your color looks like the one next to tanzania sand. I forget the name too. sahara desert or something.