At Home/Box Kit Highlights?

Black Hoya Chick

Has anyone ever done them successfully? What are your thoughts?

I have always wanted highlights, but I don't have the money for salons, and frankly, I don't really trust salons (lol--but not really).

So......let's discuss!

ETA: for those who do, how do you touch them up?

Last edited:

Nayna

Unbothered
I did the ones in my siggy by myself. They came out pretty good. Not exactly how I wanted but Im still pleased with them. I used a Garnier highlighting kit, can't quite remember the exact name. My roots turned waaay faster than my ends, I probably have some henna on my ends still. But yea it wasn't hard to do at all and I'll definitely do them myself again.

vkb247

I bought a highlight kit once and then realized how easy it was to do it without a kit. Buy a color you like, get a needle with a hook, and a shower cap. Put the shower cap on your head and use the needle to poke through the cap where you want your highlights to be. I have done it with a kit this way, done it myself this way, and have had a stylist do it this way. All with the same results. So you could use any color that is recommended as less damaging and over at LHC that you can put some coconut oil in your hair and then dye your hair after letting the coconut oil soak in for about 20 minutes. It has helped those ladies prevent damage from the chemicals.

Black Hoya Chick

I bought a highlight kit once and then realized how easy it was to do it without a kit. Buy a color you like, get a needle with a hook, and a shower cap. Put the shower cap on your head and use the needle to poke through the cap where you want your highlights to be. I have done it with a kit this way, done it myself this way, and have had a stylist do it this way. All with the same results. So you could use any color that is recommended as less damaging and over at LHC that you can put some coconut oil in your hair and then dye your hair after letting the coconut oil soak in for about 20 minutes. It has helped those ladies prevent damage from the chemicals.

i really like that idea. gonna file that one away for if/when i highlight. now the color options are endless! lol

DaiseeDay

I wouldn't recommend a box. What color(s) are you going for? Blonde, lighter brown?

I recommend getting professional dyes (Wella is good IMO) and mix it yourself. The process I recommend depends on how many levels lighter you're trying to go.

If you can't get access to professional dyes (idk, but there's a chain here where you can buy professional products without any type of card or license) my advice is to calculate how many levels lighter your goal highlights are than your current level, then buy a box that is that many shades lighter.

Ex. If your hair if a level 2 and you want level 5 highlights. 5 minus 2 is 3. So you're gonna add 3 to 5 and buy a color that is a level 8. I'd recommend buying a cool/ash shade so that your highlights won't come out brassy. If your goal highlights are more than 3 shades lighter than your current level it's easier to bleach and tone which means to use straight bleach and then put a depositing color over it in the shade you want. Especially if you want blonde highlights.

Last edited: