Hits & Misses December 2014

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Old Faithful Hits
Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Intensely Smoothing Leave In Conditioning Cream...leaves my hair smooth, silky and moisturized for days. Works better than anything I've ever used as a leave in and it's only $2.99.

Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque...the only deep conditioner I use. And when I'm being lazy I wash about 50% of it out and leave the rest in, seal with oil then twist. The next day I have a soft and fluffy twist out. Works well for my conditioner only wash and go too.

New Hits
Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter...got a jar for $8 at Target and I'm sad that I didn't use it sooner because now it's back to $16 (unless I went back to the wrong Target lol). Gives me great definition and just the right amount of hold.

Oyin Handmade Sugar Berries Pomade...I've acually had this for a while but didn't know how to make it work with my fine hair. Rubbed a little on my twists before taking down my twist and curl...now it serves a purpose. My hair smelled lovely, had added shine and virtually no frizz.

Misses
Aloe Vera Juice...all I end up with is dry, crispy, crunchy, crackly hair no matter how I use it. My hair can tolerate it in a product but straight out the bottle...no bueno:sad:

NaturallyATLPCH

Hits:
HE Tealightfully Clean for Cowashing
V05 Clarfying Conditioner for cowashing

Both left my hair clean yet soft.

Design Essentials Curl Strecthing Cream
At first I really didn't know what to think of this stuff but it gave me a moisturized yet firm holding twist out. Of course with the way I workout I had to retwist nightly but I only needed to spray water or a liquid leave in to reactivate the product.

Official Miss
Claudie's Khave DC
I did add some oil to make it doable but for my DCs to be a hit, the oil needs to be an added bonus, not to make it work.

caliscurls

IDareT'sHair

Miss:
Well I used the Obia's Babassu Deep Conditioner today :nono: and I am kicking myself even more for buying so much :badidea:

I'll break this review down into parts:

• Scent: Thumbs Down. I mean, really. I guess I'm used to herbal, flowery, or creative scents and yes sometimes those are too strong. This though, just smells terrible. I hated that I needed to leave it in so long and kept having to take a whiff :perplexed

• Texture: Thumbs Up Wasn't too thin or too thick and it spread easily when applied to my hair.

• Slip: Eh. If you're looking for slip to detangle with prior to rinsing, this isn't it. It does however rinse nicely and I could have detangled at that point :yep:

• Results: Thumbs Up. I left this DC in for about an hour, 20 minutes of which was with heat. My hair felt nice afterward. I was not wow'ed but I wasn't disappointed either. It's supposed to condition your hair and it did that :yep:

• Overall Assessment: Eh:perplexed The scent alone will make me never purchase this again. It performs well, however, in my opinion is overpriced for what it delivers. It does't hold a candle to my staple NaturelleGrow conditioners. I have 4 containers to use up though so I will consolidate all of it into a larger pump bottle with some essential oils and some other conditioner...probably something that smells really really good to mask the Obia...which means I'm headed to the APB Etsy site today

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
caliscurls

Great Review. :up: Thank you.

I bought x1 during that $10.00 Introductory Sale and bought another one for a certain % off during another Sale.

Glad I don't have x4 though.:blush:

If all else fails, I'll use it to dry DC'ing. i.e. Pre-Rx.

KinkyGenius

@IDareT'sHair

Miss:
Well I used the Obia's Babassu Deep Conditioner today :nono: and I am kicking myself even more for buying so much :badidea:

I'll break this review down into parts:

• Scent: Thumbs Down. I mean, really. I guess I'm used to herbal, flowery, or creative scents and yes sometimes those are too strong. This though, just smells terrible. I hated that I needed to leave it in so long and kept having to take a whiff :perplexed

• Texture: Thumbs Up Wasn't too thin or too thick and it spread easily when applied to my hair.

• Slip: Eh. If you're looking for slip to detangle with prior to rinsing, this isn't it. It does however rinse nicely and I could have detangled at that point :yep:

• Results: Thumbs Up. I left this DC in for about an hour, 20 minutes of which was with heat. My hair felt nice afterward. I was not wow'ed but I wasn't disappointed either. It's supposed to condition your hair and it did that :yep:

• Overall Assessment: Eh:perplexed The scent alone will make me never purchase this again. It performs well, however, in my opinion is overpriced for what it delivers. It does't hold a candle to my staple NaturelleGrow conditioners. I have 4 containers to use up though so I will consolidate all of it into a larger pump bottle with some essential oils and some other conditioner...probably something that smells really really good to mask the Obia...which means I'm headed to the APB Etsy site today

Great review!

I've used it twice when it first was released, had high hopes because I have two HG products from this line. This DC was just mediocre for me as well, the definition of an average DC. I can't really remember much about the scent, so I'm guessing it wasn't really offensive to me since it was forgettable. I've been mixing it with the Hairveda Jardin DC to use up both products since they were both average DCs for me.

I purchased the Brown Butter Beauty's Babassu DC to see how it compares. If it is also mediocre I'm going to chalk it up to my hair not really liking babassu oil.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Purchased the Brown Butter Beauty's Babassu DC to see how it compares. If it is also mediocre I'm going to chalk it up to my hair not really liking babassu oil.

KinkyGenius

Most of the reviews I've read on this product or YT reviews have been pretty Good and also consistent.:yep:

I also have several jars of this, and will be awaiting your review.:grin:

KinkyGenius

@KinkyGenius

Most of the reviews I've read on this or YT have been pretty Good and also consistent.:yep:

I also have several jars of this, and will be awaiting your review.:grin:

Of course you have several jars of it, I would expect nothing less :lol:. I'll probably be trying it out this weekend after my hair cut, I'll def remember to post my review!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
KinkyGenius and IDareT'sHair I almost bought some Brown Butter Beauty Babassu DC but after this I'll wait until I see your reviews

Yeah, I keep buying it & never get around to using it.

I started to buy another Jar BF and looked and I had x3.:rolleyes:

I'm so glad I checked or that would have been a waste of $.:nono:

I'm really trying to limit my multiples to no more than 2-3.:look:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Big New Hit:
Claudie's 3n1 Cleansing Conditioner

Continued Hits:
Oyin Handmade Hair Dew
Oyin Handmade Burnt Sugar Pomade
Darcy Botanicals Hair Mask
ED JBCO
KeraVada's Kenyan Coffee Oil

sexypebbly

Miss:Oyin whipped shea butter in rich almond. I know its weird but to me it smells like lead and nothing like almonds

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Hits:

Mielle Organics Mint almond oil & babassu oil deep treatment, whew lawd the softness and slip of this treatment is amazing. I have to use it several more times to make sure but first use has me bent! The oil is very creamy and sinks into the scalp

Miss:
Cutting my hair. I need to stop taking my own protective styles out. It never fails with me cutting my own damn hair by mistake This time its in the very front of my head. smh. An inch patch. Sigh

gorgeoushair

Hits:

Mielle Organics Mint almond oil & babassu oil deep treatment, whew lawd the softness and slip of this treatment is amazing. I have to use it several more times to make sure but first use has me bent! The oil is very creamy and sinks into the scalp

Miss:
Cutting my hair. I need to stop taking my own protective styles out. It never fails with me cutting my own damn hair by mistake This time its in the very front of my head. smh. An inch patch. Sigh

Girl this just happened to me when I was taking out my crochet braids. At first it was just one braid then when I was on my last braid, I had the audacity to do it again. Talk about wanting to cry. I can see if I only cut 1 inch but naw I had to cut 3-4 inches. Boy I was hurt and mad!

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Girl this just happened to me when I was taking out my crochet braids. At first it was just one braid then when I was on my last braid, I had the audacity to do it again. Talk about wanting to cry. I can see if I only cut 1 inch but naw I had to cut 3-4 inches. Boy I was hurt and mad!

Girl, when I say an inch patch, I mean that's what's left lololol. I look like I bc in that spot. It's in the very front. I was gonna cry but I sucked it up lllol. gorgeoushair

NaturallyATLPCH

Huge hit: Bellezza Naturale Soaps
Looks like I've found my replacement for Chagrin Valley AND Cream and Coco. The Sweet Potato Pie and Olive Oil soaps are divine for body and face. I don't even need a moisturizer. Plus the soap bars are huge and reasonable.

oneastrocurlie

Hit:
J. Monique Hibiscus and Broccoli DC - Left my hair soft and moisturized but not mushy, smells great. Only negative - It has zero slip.

Miss:
J. Monique Bentonite & Rhassoul Detox DC as a cleanser - Way too thick to apply as a cleanser for me. I'll try to use it again as a DC but not use the mud wash the same day.

J. Monique Detangle Me Lemon - Her products are thhiickkk. I thought the detangler would have lots of slip. This didn't have very much to me to try and detangle my very coily hair. I mixed it with water in a spray bottle and it was a little better. I'm going to try mixing it with some oil next time.

On the fence:
Oyin Boing - Meh lol. Wasn't wow'ed on first use. Glad I only got a sample.

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Oh my! Dang how on earth did u do that? Did u have a sew in? I'm sorry to hear that.

I cut an entire row of an cornrow is what it looks like. I didnt realize it because the front is thinner so when I took the braid out ,all my hair came out too, smh.

LOL. I think I'm low key devastated but I keep telling myself at least I have hair. Somewhere , someone right now is praying after losing their hair in chemo.

I should have been paying better attention. gorgeoushair

Bette Davis Eyes

The "OG" Product Junkie
Slight Miss

Camille Rose Curl Maker, my hair is a tad bit flaky. Its better than the old formula but I still prefer KCCC.

myronnie

Potential Hit:
Brown Butter Beauty Mixed Greens
I've been using this for almost week and it keeps the itchies away! The first time I used it my scalp was itching like crazy. This pomade gave me instant relief. It makes my scalp feel so great. :drunk: Great silky consistency also. I wish I had picked up two during Hattache's sale!

First impressions:
Bel Nouvo Avocado Shea Hair milk
This offers good slip on wet hair. You can't use much or it starts to buildup and it made my hair oily. However, I used it on hair that hadn't been cleansed for a week. I'm on the fence with this due to the residue I experienced when I used it to detangle.

Last edited: