Hip–Tailbone Length (HL–TBL) 2014 Challenge!

cocosweet

Re: Hip Length (HL) 2014 Challenge!

Resisting temptation to join this challenge. Fight it, fight it, fiiight...

Angel of the North

Wash day today. I pre-pooed with Alberto Balsam Intensive Treatment Conditioner and sealed with Hot 6 Oil under a shower cap for an hour and half, Clarified with Sof n Free Nothing but Clarifying Shampoo followed by a moisturising poo. DC'd with AO Island Naturals for an hour an half and dusted my ends (next time I'm gonna use my splitender). I moisturised with Keracare NT hair milk (I like this but wish it was a bit thicker, this is my first use of it, so I'll see how it goes), sealed with avocado oil, put it in a single plait sealed again with A365 hair smoothie (babassu oil, shea butter, monoi de tahiti, bay, ylang ylang, rosemary, cedarwood, sweet almond oil and coconut oil) and bunned to air dry (my signature PS). My hair feels amazing, I'm really pleased with the results.

I've decided to dust once a month, to keep my ends in check

Aireen I can't wait to see your pics :yep:

cocosweet Don't fight it, go with it! Jump aboard :lol:

Last edited:

jesusislove1526

My first set of mini braids for the year. I plan to have them in for @6 weeks.

I did them after a DC, cowashing, LCO with castor oil and conditioner, and stretching with chunky braids.

Attachments

• Mini Braids 13-I Collage.jpg
    Mini Braids 13-I Collage.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 55

Aireen

Doing a milk and honey hair mask, so pics are gonna be up today/tomorrow. :grin:

EDIT: If anyone wants to know my mask consists of honey, milk, coconut oil, and olive oil. I just kind of eyeballed the amounts but made sure the primary ingredient was honey followed by the milk. It kind of feels like ApHogee 2 Step, I guess that's the milk. Will reveal my results later.

Last edited:

WaistLengthDreams

Today I washed, did a protein treatment, a tea rinse, deep conditioned and roller set my hair. Now it's wrapped up for bed. I'm hiding my hair so tomorrow I'll be wearing a bun.

Cersei

Today was my wash day too. I did a DC using avocado, egg, coconut milk, coconut oil and honey. My hair felt a little hard afterwards, so I'll probably omit the egg next time. Now it's back into twists until my next trim (...2 years from now :lol:).

Aireen

Washed out my milk & honey mask, it definitely feels like ApHogee but when you wash it out with a non-sulfate shampoo, it has a subtle but delightful honey scent. :grin: It was messy but I'll use it this week when I wash my hair again. Right now I have Hair Chemist Macadamia Oil Deep Repair Mask in my hair under a cap, it's the rip off of the original $30 one that everyone raves about. I really like the consistency of it, it's VERY thick, does not move in the jar at all but spreads so easily on the hair and is very concentrated, a little goes a long way. I've decided the best way to use it is by taking my index and middle finger scooping some out, emulsify it in my palms and spreading it all over. Repeat with a less product once or twice more. It makes my hair feel strong which is what I needed for my first post relaxer wash, hopefully I like the results.

cocosweet

Aireen
Angel of the North
Nix08
NJoy

Yall not helping! :lachen:
After years and years and my hair showing out on me fittyleven times, I am finally grazing WL. I was starting to relax a little and ready to give up the length chase. Seeing this thread made the itch for more length start up again.:wallbash:

Voices in my head talmbout: "You know HL is only 4" away." "The year just started so you have plenty of time." "Dooo Iiiit.":drunk:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Aireen
Angel of the North
Nix08
NJoy

After years and years and my hair showing out on me fittyleven times, I am finally grazing WL. I was starting to relax a little and ready to give up the length chase. Seeing this thread made the itch for more length start up again.:wallbash:

Voices in my head talmbout: "You know HL is only 4" away." "The year just started so you have plenty of time." "Dooo Iiiit.":drunk:

Don't fight it. Just go with it. What do you have to lose? You can always cut back if those four little inches don't make you feel fabulous. *grin*

Aireen

Weeellllll... you only have 4 inches to go, that's less than a year's worth of growth by just the average amount of growth/month. You'll have a good support system of ladies to support you on your journey too and you have until 2014 to get there. :grin: :yep: :poke: :poke:

Aireen

Oh forgot to mention, done deep conditioning. I had a bit of breakage but the DC with the bootleg macadamia mask I mentioned earlier helped with that. When I say a bit, not a lot maybe like 15 hairs or so but that's way more than I'm used to so I made sure to DC for a long time to cut that out. Plus, I didn't like how my hair was just coming out without snagging. See ladies, if you're being lazy not doing dem DCs like you should, check yo'self. :lol: Anyway, yes yes, pics are coming.

So I really liked the mask and thought I'd do list some of the advantages and disadvantages:

Advantages:

- Thick yet smooth consistency that is easy to spread, this makes a little definitely go a long way
- Smells nice
- Short conditioning time but still long enough to seem like it's making a substantial difference; 7 minutes wait time
- Rinses out very easily and leaves hair feeling soft while wet
- Strengthens and limits breakage while giving the hair some moisture
- Softening + moisturizing to a degree

Disadvantages:

- Bootleg packaging :look:
- NOT suitable for long stretches, better for freshly relaxed hair
- Does not provide slip nor does it detangle (If a conditioner doesn't have slip, I at least like it be ultra softening and be able to detangle)
- Has a limit of only being able to be used twice a week

Last edited:

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
I saw little broken hairs. I'm getting pissed off. It would start acting up at my goal length. smh. Have yet to figure out if its protein or moisture because my hair feels like it has a good balance of both so I just don't know. Will stay braided up until I can figure it out though.

Aireen

UPDATE: Here is finally a picture update! I should've taken this yesterday when my hair was completely straight instead of wavy but whatever. I'm BSB in these pictures but didn't really want to stretch my hair out to show the length lol. Next time I'll take pictures when my hair is freshly blow-dried.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 149

cocosweet

Okay, I'm in. (sucks teef)

- Current length + hair type
Grazing WL, 4a/b
- Regimen
Wash and DC 3-4x monthly. Moisturize almost daily. Employ protective styling and sulfur mixes. Started tea rinses January 2013. Dust quarterly.
- Plans to get to HL
see regimen.
- HL goal date
1/1/14
- Plans once HL is achieved
I don't know yet.

Aireen

Aireen looking good:yep:
Thanks, Nix08! I finally feel comfortable to start posting update pictures again. I'll post another collage next time I wash my hair so next pictures will show completely straight hair.

I see we convinced you LOL, cocosweet. Welcome!

bebezazueta

UPDATE: Here is finally a picture update! I should've taken this yesterday when my hair was completely straight instead of wavy but whatever. I'm BSB in these pictures but didn't really want to stretch my hair out to show the length lol. Next time I'll take pictures when my hair is freshly blow-dried.

Girl your hair is thick & has length! And that swang pic - gorgeous! That thickness at HL will be insane!

Aireen

Girl your hair is thick & has length! And that swang pic - gorgeous! That thickness at HL will be insane!

Thank you, bebezazueta! I plan to definitely try to maintain the thickness, lots of masks and Roux PC in my hair's future. :grin: Excited to get my hair to your length. :drunk:

NJoy

Here I grow again!

Aireen

What? Did you just stunt on us with the swang? :spinning: I love it! Girl, your hair looks fabulous!! KUTGW!!!

Channy31

Trying to see what happens if I don't wash my hair for a few weeks.

I've seen that SistaWithRealHair on youtube washes her hair once a month (dont think I could manage that though) and GlamTwins only wash their hair every two weeks. I normally wash my hair every 5 days but If I stretch this out it means not using straighteners on my hair as much because I straighten every wash day. Currently on day 6 and my scalp is struggling though. Any advice?

Angel of the North

I've seen that SistaWithRealHair on youtube washes her hair once a month (dont think I could manage that though) and GlamTwins only wash their hair every two weeks. I normally wash my hair every 5 days but If I stretch this out it means not using straighteners on my hair as much because I straighten every wash day. Currently on day 6 and my scalp is struggling though. Any advice?

A long time ago I used to relax my hair every 6 weeks I very rarely washed it in between unless I had used gel or something along those lines and I never baggied then. It sounds bad I know, but my hair didn't smell or look bad because of it, and I never had any problems with my scalp. that old myth that dirty hair grows :nono: I suppose it's each to their own.

Let us know how it works for you MixedGirl

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!

This is just my opinion. Lol

Your hair in your siggie looks really really thick to wear it seems your scalp has no room to breathe as it is. To go weeks or a month w/o washing, your scalp will be on fiyah!! Those ladies do not have thick hair. Their scalp can breathe thru their hair between washes. But just my opinion.