Hip Length (HL) 2012!!!!

I'm in! New to LHCF so help me out ladies with all the terminologies (especially identifying textures)..

Current Length: waist length (15 inches)
Goal Length: hip length (25 inches)

january12012hair.jpg

Just a quick update.... Been feeling kind of bored and un-inspired with my hair lately.... and it doesn't help that I'm also crazy busy trying to graduate in June and manage my two businesses. Bleh. At least I'm leaving it alone mostly.
It doesn't even feel long anymore like it did when it was straight lol...I did some bantu knots after I washed my hair last week and when I took them down on Sunday, the curls were somewhere above my shoulders :-/

Okay, enough complaining lol, gotta get back to work. Hope everyone's HJ is going well so far this year!

tiajanae your hair is beautiful!

It sure is some lovely heads in this thread. Love coming in here just to view the pics and steal some regimens. :grin:

UPDATE: Hey ladies, I just wanted to say that I've started taking my vitamins again, more so for my skin and nails but they do help hair growth. I feel kinda crazy taking prenatal vitamins though... :look:

Aireen what is the brand of prenatals that you take? If you don't mind me asking.

Just a quick update.... Been feeling kind of bored and un-inspired with my hair lately.... and it doesn't help that I'm also crazy busy trying to graduate in June and manage my two businesses. Bleh. At least I'm leaving it alone mostly.
It doesn't even feel long anymore like it did when it was straight lol...I did some bantu knots after I washed my hair last week and when I took them down on Sunday, the curls were somewhere above my shoulders :-/

Okay, enough complaining lol, gotta get back to work. Hope everyone's HJ is going well so far this year!

tiajanae your hair is beautiful!

LaVgirl Your hair is delicious n thick! I can't wait to get back to WL only 4-5 inches. Your pic makes me happy. :drunk:

I am so joining this challenge. Not sure if I will be doing anything special other than continuing to use VAiN products. I'm working on an ayurvedic line to help with strength....that's about the only new thing I think I will incorporate. Oh...maybe I'll be more diligent with the oil rinses and pre-poos.

:)

Oh...doubt I'll be able to participate in any real updates. Probably won't straighten my hair again until Dec 2012. :-|

Aireen what is the brand of prenatals that you take? If you don't mind me asking.

GIJane, at the moment I'm taking Nature's Bounty Your Life Multi Prenatal DHA for now. I'm probably going to switch after this bottle or the next just to test the waters. I'm liking this one though, I don't know if it's just me but I SWEAR my new growth is more resistant against the relaxer since taking them. I also have tons of energy and sleep better when taking them.

So i guess i should add my hair regimen.. Ladies take a look and tell me what you think, looking to make changes if need be...

Products:
-Nioxin hair vitamins
-Garlic Shampoo
-Mega Tek Rebuilder
-Wild Growth Hair Oil

The Routine:
-each Wednesday and Sunday I wash my hair with the Garlic Shampoo (making sure to let sit in scalp for 5 mins on second wash)... then rinse and add my mega-tek/wild growth hair oil mixture.. braid my hair in 2 Indian braids and wear it that way until Sundays (gotta get cute for church :lol:)
- i take my Nioxin hair vitamin each day (is anyone noticing hair growing in odd places from this product? hmmm)
-i flat iron my hair once a month just to measure it and see my progress)
-avergae growth is .5-1inch per month

On April 1st I'll be getting my hair in braids but i'll still be doing the same regimen while in braids.

Hi ladies, sorry I've been MIA... my now 9 week old baby boy has kept me pretty busy!

@leona2025... thank you! and your hair is absolutely beautiful. To answer your question, my hair went from the picture on my profile to the length on the second picture in 13 months, from October 2010 to November 2011. I did trim a couple of times, but no more than 1-2 inches. I think I retained about 5 inches of growth during that time.

Yayyyy! Got my products today: swanson garlic oil soft gels, gnc hair skin and nails formula, and Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner. Time to have some fun. Happy growing :)

Just checking in to "my" threads .. I updated in "W"Hip but wanted to update here.

Did an "unofficial" length check today and I'm happy with where my hair is. I didn't think there was any change from Nov 2011 (my siggy pic) and immediately thought "crap! I've had a lot of breakage!" But once I compare the pics, I can see there's been growth.

Today: colored my hair (thought it was deep dark brown but it's deep auburn!), DC'd with Joice K-Pak reconstructor and AOGPB, then sealed with EVCO/castor oil before sitting under a dryer. I really like drying my hair in pigtails under the dryer -- I get lots of shine and bounce and my ends are protected.

Followed that up with flat iron but not to the point of bone straight -- I like the fullness keeping slight waves gives me. So my hair is 80% straight.

So no length check for me in march unless I get a trim. My goal is the white towel by May! :)

Attachments

• Feb 25 12 P1 (3).JPG
    Feb 25 12 P1 (3).JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 117
:sad: I think I'm going through hair anorexia ...... because my hair doesn't seem long to me.

WOW ... for those of you who have gone through this: how did you snap out of it?

:sad: I think I'm going through hair anorexia ...... because my hair doesn't seem long to me.

WOW ... for those of you who have gone through this: how did you snap out of it?

regina07 try looking at all your pictures you have of your hair growth. Just keep looking at them until you get happy at what you see. Look from year to year.

When my hair is out for a length check, I spend time focusing on how great my new length feels; how long it feels. And of course, I take my length shot pics.

I usually don't keep my hair out long so hairnorexia sneaks up on me pretty quickly. But to get over that, like Shadiyah said, I look at my latest pics and recall the amazing "feeling" that I had of it "feeling" long. And then I may compare my pics to starting and previous length check pics to remind myself that my har continues to grow.

I don't spend much time looking at past lengths because this is what my mind aready remembers and will readily accept. You have to keep reminding yourself of your NEW cuurent length and back that up by recalling how great it felt. We remember and believe what we feel more than what we see. It also helps to go back and read everyone's comments after you post your latest pics. This type of support will serve as confirmation. :yep:

Hey, just cruising around for some inspiration. I hope everyone makes it to gorgeous hip length hair! I will be back in this challenge for 2013.

Did an unofficial length check today... Comfortably at 16inches :) will do length shot March 31st and hopefully reach 17inches. Also starting my GNC hair pills, garlic pills, and omega 3s tomorrow. Feeling motivated!

Starting length: 15inches
Current length: 16inches
Goal length: 25inches

i've had to straighten TWICE this week for interviews! i'm worried I've done some damage - what can i do to lessen the damage as much as possible? Should I moisturize & seal? Do a protein? Any suggestions?!?!

i've had to straighten TWICE this week for interviews! i'm worried I've done some damage - what can i do to lessen the damage as much as possible? Should I moisturize & seal? Do a protein? Any suggestions?!?!

Alternate protein then moisture treatments every week for the next mo...1 week protein, 1 week moisture.

How high was the temperature and did you use some sort of heat protectant? I wouldn't panic just yet. Assess your hair once you've washed it and see if you've suffered any heat damage. Whenever I've put any strain or stress on my hair I just go back to the basics, to bring balance back to my hair.

Last edited:
March length check @15. Also forgot to mention, this month is my 3 yr naptural anniversary as well as 2 yr BC.

Attachments

• March LC.JPG
    March LC.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

When my hair was longer...i used to simply lay down in bed and spread my hair over my pillow to see how far over the pillow it would go....i miss how it went over the pillow to the tip of the mattress....that always snapped me out of it:grin:

Strange, i know:look:

Alternate protein then moisture treatments every week for the next mo...1 week protein, 1 week moisture.

How high was the temperature and did you use some sort of heat protectant? I wouldn't panic just yet. Assess your hair once you've washed it and see if you've suffered any heat damage. Whenever I've put any strain or stress on my hair I just go back to the basics, to bring balance back to my hair.

eocceas i think the temperature was in the mid-to-high 300 degree range. i don't really know. i had to do it 3 times this week. twice to straighten and another time to touch up and then to curl it. :(

how do i know what heat damage looks like? prior to this, i hadn't straightened in just a little over 4 months.

Ok. After the last few months of having my hair down. I'm back to my senses. I started buning because this humidity has already gotten out of hand. I need to post some pics soon

Too cute! :grin: And I may try it the next time I flat iron my hair.

When my hair was longer...i used to simply
lay down in bed and spread my hair over my pillow to see how far over the pillow it would go....i miss how it went over the pillow to the tip of the mattress....that always snapped me out of it:grin:

Strange, i know:look:

wyldcurlz - Others may disagree with me but I don't think the rare flatironing 3x in a week will cause heat damage ... unless your hair is fragile to begin with? If it's healthy, it should bounce back.

eocceas had a good suggestion. I flatiron my hair 1-2x a quarter, usually 2-3 passes at max heat and touch up the roots 1x during the week. Next time I wash I do a pre-poo conditioning treatment, moisturizing shampoo then an intense DC with protein and moisturizing conditioners. I check for how it acts when it dries -- if my curls are bouncy and elastic, all's good. If they're dry, limp and frizzy, I do another protein DC followed with a good moisturizing conditioner then make sure I baby it (PS, M&S, sleeping in bonnet, etc).

Heat damaged hair looks fried, has no elasticity, won't hold a curl, more breakage than usual.

eocceas i think the temperature was in the mid-to-high 300 degree range. i don't really know. i had to do it 3 times this week. twice to straighten and another time to touch up and then to curl it. :(

how do i know what heat damage looks like? prior to this, i hadn't straightened in just a little over 4 months.

Back