Hide Your Hair Til Christmas Challenge Month 1 update....

RabiaElaine

Alliyasmom said:
So far so good. I've been washing my hair once a week (and sometimes twice). For the most part I either wear phony ponys or buns. I got my hair relaxed on 7/22 and to my surprise my hair had grown quite a bit. I can't wait to see how much progress I've made by Christmas.

Congrats girl!!!!!!!! I'm proud that you put it right back up too...I know how tempting it can be for me to wear my hair down and out after a relaxer!

KiniKakes

This is so exciting.... I didnt join the challenge myself, but i just cant wait to see pics of all you ladies growth at Christmas. :yay:

Ms_Twana

trimbride said:
I wear a fall. My hair is 9-10 inches long. I conditioner wash 3-5 times per week and wash weekly & DC. I moisturize my hair at night and while it is wet from the conditioner wash or moist/wet from braid spray and moisturizer I comb it back into a low very loose ponytail using a stocking type band instead of a ponytail holder because this seems to be more gentle on my hair. I loop the hair under and wrap the band around the loop and tuck in any ends that are left out. (I hope that makes sense) I sleep with a satin scarf and when I wake up my hair is laying flat. I put the fall on using only the front comb, the back comb seems to bother the nape of my neck. All of my hair except for the first inch in the front is under the fall. I place a headband over the point where the fall begins.

Thanks Trimbride. So you don't have a bulge from the ponytail because you wear a scarf at night?? When you say your hair is 9-10 inches, are you measuring from the beginning hairline?? My hair is about 1 inch past shoulder length, so I'm worried that mines will have the bulge. I would much rather just put it in a ponytail.

Ms_Twana

Okay ladies. I just want you to know that I bought two falls a couple of days ago, and I am INLOVE. I may not EVER wear my hair out again. It is soooo convenient. And my ends are protected with the baggie method the entire time. Oh, and because I had been using the baggie method, my ends look sooo good when I have the front part out for the fall. I am tooo excited. I would put a few pictures here, but I don't know how to resize them so they'll fit. Sorry.

MzOptimistic

I have been keeping my hair hidden all the time now...I never wear my hair out...my daughter catches me when I get out the shower and she says dang mom your hair is long...and everyone says in my family why don't you wear your hair down...when I am in the house...I keep my hair in a ponytail with the ends in a baggie and my satin scarf on...so I look like a house maid or something....but I do not care....I thought this was going to be hard for me...keeping my hair up....cuz I love my caruso rollers....but it is a piece of cake.....I can't wait until christmas...to see my progress...

Lucia

I was going to use my pass but I 've been maintaining the length here, b/c I did like 3 S&D missions this past month last one was yesterday. I think I need to put my hair away so I can't get to it. I'm going to deep condition and put it back up in the braided weave until 12.2006.

Ms_Twana

Lucia, I feel you. I'm constantly checking mines when I wash to see my progress. :D So, I think I'm going to get a sew-in, so that it's out of sight for a couple of months.

Are there any other ladies transitioning in this challenge?? I need some hair style tips until I get the sew in. I try to give my falls a break, so that the comb doesn't break my hair. And I'm getting a little bored with the phony pony and bun.

SparklingFlame

I suppose you have to wear weave for this challenge, right? I'd love to but I dont wear weaves. I usually wear a protective style that I re-do once ir twice a week. Does this count?

Ms_Twana

NOOO. You don't have to wear weaves. You just need to "hide" your length. Protective styles will be fine. Come join us!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

SparklingFlame

Ms_Twana said:
NOOO. You don't have to wear weaves. You just need to "hide" your length. Protective styles will be fine. Come join us!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Count me in! I've been hiding my hair since February. Dont let my advatar fool you. I took out some flat twists and wore that twist out for a few hrs for my husband. Then it all went back up in twists! :)

Ms_Twana

Okay, Rabia. I just saw your post on your sew-in and your hair looks great. You have definitely convinced me to get a sew-in. I'm going to call my stylist now!!!!! :D

Lucia

OMG, I just got some real encouragement and good news, I wanted to grow my hair out, @ 1st b/c I wanted my pre-relaxer kid hairlength back. Well my mother hasn't seen my hair in while, and she's like wow your hair has grown and I told her to stretch it down, she's like your hair is longer than when you were a kid. WOW :shocked: See ladies it can be done with TLC + PATIENTCE+TLC. Well on to the next goal. :) :yay:

Last edited:

Iluvsmuhgrass

I found my perfect do' for the weave part of the challenge but since I'm flat broke I'll be bunning until I can afford it.

jaded_faerie

yup im still in....i caved in last month in order to get a much needed trim...but i am going to make sure to hide my hair till christmas....buns everday and falls on special occasions :)

Saida

Ive had my hair in braids, and it was going really well, but when i took them out my hair was braking and shedding:mad:

now i have cornrows, and i did a garlic treatment to prevent the brakage i hope it helps, my hair feels alot better though.

amara11

Ive been doing twists/ and twist out sets. I wash every week alternating between a shampoo and a cowash every other week. On the 4th week- I clarify b/c my hair needs a lot of moisturizers during the month to keep it from drying out. Lets see...

Oh I just purchased some Qhemet products, the alma oil, and the heavy cream. So we'll see. I am putting senegalese twists in my hair this week that I hope ot keep in for 2 months. Then, I wanted to try some kinky twists, and when Its time for those to be taken out, we should be finished w/ the challenge!

Ms_Twana

Lucia said:
OMG, I just got some real encouragement and good news, I wanted to grow my hair out, @ 1st b/c I wanted my pre-relaxer kid hairlength back. Well my mother hasn't seen my hair in while, and she's like wow your hair has grown and I told her to stretch it down, she's like your hair is longer than when you were a kid. WOW :shocked: See ladies it can be done with TLC + PATIENTCE+TLC. Well on to the next goal. :) :yay:

Congrats. Keep that hair growing!!!!

BeatriceFly

okay big question

ive been trying to wait but i need a trim SO BAD
am i still in if i go get one
i will still be "hiding" it and well i guess im taking some step backwards but i dont know
i just dont want to be disappointed when Xmas comes and have to chop it off anyway
what do you guys think??

missnurselady

I did the phony pony thing till i couldnt take it anymore. Now im in cornrows today makes 3wks and they look like they have been in for over a month but they cost 125 dollars so im tryin to keep them in atleast another week or two lord help me!

BLESSED1

I'm still in & doing well, my hair is now long enough for me to pull back so now I'm back to doing the baggie method. Hadn't been able to do that since my second BC last spring. My hair's been hidden since the middle of July

MzOptimistic

I'm still down with this challenge...I have been wearing my hair in my own ponytail covered with a baggie and then a bun cover...all I can say is WOW this is really working....I am going to continue to hide my hair until I'm bra strap maybe go longer because my overall goal is to be midback....I love this challenge...it's not really hard especially when it's growing my hair...:grin:

theAlist

I have had in my micro braids for a month now...I will be taking them out pretty soon. After that I think I will stay away from the braids for a while, and just wear my cute natural looking wig.

Lucia

Ms_Twana said:
Congrats. Keep that hair growing!!!!
Thanks, nobodys more surprised than me, Im glad i didn't give up even when I had set-backs, it can be done :)

lana

I'm in on this challenge and hanging in there. I can't say it hasn't been tough. I took my hair down out of my wet ponytail and saw that it looked fuller in my hands, then I put it right back up in that soft bun. I've been wearing a fall over my real hair and love how it looks - preventing breakage by clipping out the comb. So far so good. This weekend I told my BF that I'm wearing my own hair (it's been 2 1/2 months) and he was happy, but he doesn't know it's going to be up in a pretty bun with hair added in for fullness. My sister is doing it for me. I know she can hook me up. But I will wash, and straighten my own hair...she will hurt you with a pressing comb and I don't use them anymore. So I plan to wear my hair up all next week. Then back to my fall for a change. I still want cornrows before the year is up, but we'll see....

Only 3 months to go...I'll get it professionally straightened the last week of December and post pics. I have an album with my pics from this time last year. I hope to see a difference in health and length.