Hide your Hair 2014

msbettyboop

I'm getting good retention with wigs but I miss my braids so much. I like touching my scalp and running my hands through my braids. I am itching to braid again. I get retention with braids too but not as much as when I wear a wig or a weave. Dammit!

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
I'm getting good retention with wigs but I miss my braids so much. I like touching my scalp and running my hands through my braids. I am itching to braid again. I get retention with braids too but not as much as when I wear a wig or a weave. Dammit!

Maybe you can switch it up. I'm alternating from braids and wigs myself.

NaturallyATLPCH

I may go ahead and take my braids down this weekend. After I give my hair a break for a couple of weeks, I may install my marleys back in.

ronie

I may go ahead and take my braids down this weekend. After I give my hair a break for a couple of weeks, I may install my marleys back in.
NaturallyATLPCH how is your hair responding to the back to back protective styling? I ve been in denial about my hair believing that I can make it wearing my hAir loose and styling every few days.
Every time I decide to put it away something comes up. I bought almost 100$ worth of Havana hair 3 months ago. The box is still here collecting dust, smh.
Let me know how much better your retention has been and if your edges are holding on fine.

NaturallyATLPCH

NaturallyATLPCH how is your hair responding to the back to back protective styling? I ve been in denial about my hair believing that I can make it wearing my hAir loose and styling every few days.
Every time I decide to put it away something comes up. I bought almost 100$ worth of Havana hair 3 months ago. The box is still here collecting dust, smh.
Let me know how much better your retention has been and if your edges are holding on fine.

ronie, my hair has always been pretty cool with protective styling. This is my first time in almost two years getting box braids again. Box braids nowadays aren't too kind to my edges (I've always had sensitive temples). I mean, they don't look bad, but since I've been incorporating marleys in the past year, my retention has been great and they've been kinder to my edges which is why I will eventually go back to those.

I usually wait a week or two and then put another protective style in. I'm in love with the marleys and my length retention has been great since getting them, as well as my edges.

msbettyboop

Almost done with 2nd round of wig wearing. Will be taking out my corn rows next week followed by deep conditioning, henna treatment, 1 week resting then putting my beloved braids back in. :). Getting good retention with this hide your hair challenge. I really wish I could do my braids myself though as I really hate the way the braiders handle my hair. I bring my bone combs, butters, oils, etc but I think they could be gentler.

Last edited:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
OMG I haven't been around all year but hey I might be able to retain so hair for the rest of this year. I have 4 months left. So for the month of August and September 2014 I will be installing a set of crochet braids.

Dang where have a been all year long! I am set to install on the 15th, so I will be back then to post pics. TTYL

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Oh but on the upside I have been hiding my hair all year, hiding it so much I wasn't giving it the proper care it needed or deserved. So until I install the crochet braids I will be wearing my faux marley bun.

LadyBugsy

I have braids now. Hopefully I can keep them in (reinstalling every 8 weeks) for the rest of the year.

NaturallyATLPCH

Hi ladies. My hair has been out for about 2 weeks now. I even managed to use up some stuff. I will be getting marleys installed sometime in September.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Took my bun down from the 7th, I will be doing a wash session today and back into the bun I go.

BFeathers

Finally took my June 10th sew in down! Praise the Lord my scalp can breathe again!

It always could but man! That closure was practically in the middle of my head :lachen:

I have SO much growth. I didn't think as much as last time but my braids are sooo loose and just lift up with a fingertip

I'm playing around with a wig I bought for the next week to decide what I wnat to do. Keep wigging and try and search for the needle in a hairstack (aka wig for big headed women).

The wig I have doesn't have adjustable straps but like I need them. No need for pins or anything. I had to cut lines into my stocking cap because it was giving me a headache.

Sew ins absolutely grow my hair but it would be nice to take the hair on and off. But wigs being not for my size head would only cause undue stress on my bald side unless I cut a line into the elastic of the wig.

On a different note: what exactly does 'a wig gets old' mean. I mean you wash and condition it and it's back to normal right? Unless you don't care to wash it.

alex114

I'm currently rotating back and forth between four different wigs, one really short, another, longer one, and a third medium length one, in a range of colors from 2-4 (brown to dark brown). I've been seeing good growth, but I'm trying to baby my edges, because I don't want to lose them to the rough lace front area.

Attachments

• photo-3.JPG
    photo-3.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

cami88

I've been hiding my hair under wigs since April. I've got about an inch and a half of new growth thus far.

Sent from my galaxy s4 using LHCF

msbettyboop

Just took my cornrows out after 8 weeks. Excellent growth!!! Better than when I'm in braids. I really should try to keep this wig thing going till the end of the year but I'm kinda tired of it.........lol.

BFeathers

So I'm trying out a wig but it's drying my hair OUT. I greased the hell out of my hair last night and now it's barely moist. Lots of JBCO.

With a sew in I guess because of the weave stacked on the braids moisture lasts but my hair is growing WAY too fast for closures and I refuse to have leave out. I'm way too many months post to be busting out the flat iron that often. The front is a decent length but much shorter than the back and leaveouts are just pointless if you want growth IMO. And I want even, all over growth

But sew ins are at the it looks stupid point because in 4 weeks that closure has drifted like whoa and the take down, take down braids, getting it redo is such a hassle :nono:

Petite One

So I'm trying out a wig but it's drying my hair OUT. I greased the hell out of my hair last night and now it's barely moist. Lots of JBCO.

With a sew in I guess because of the weave stacked on the braids moisture lasts but my hair is growing WAY too fast for closures and I refuse to have leave out. I'm way too many months post to be busting out the flat iron that often. The front is a decent length but much shorter than the back and leaveouts are just pointless if you want growth IMO. And I want even, all over growth

But sew ins are at the it looks stupid point because in 4 weeks that closure has drifted like whoa and the take down, take down braids, getting it redo is such a hassle :nono:

Did you wear a plastic cap underneath the wig?

msbettyboop

So I'm trying out a wig but it's drying my hair OUT. I greased the hell out of my hair last night and now it's barely moist. Lots of JBCO. With a sew in I guess because of the weave stacked on the braids moisture lasts but my hair is growing WAY too fast for closures and I refuse to have leave out. I'm way too many months post to be busting out the flat iron that often. The front is a decent length but much shorter than the back and leaveouts are just pointless if you want growth IMO. And I want even, all over growth But sew ins are at the it looks stupid point because in 4 weeks that closure has drifted like whoa and the take down, take down braids, getting it redo is such a hassle :nono:

Do you wet your hair every morning before you put on your wig cap? I use a mix of infusium 23 (original formula) and rose water. I massage my scalp once a week with JBCO after washing. My hair is always fine after I take down 8 weeks later.

BFeathers

Did you wear a plastic cap underneath the wig?

That just sounds hot and miserable. I thought wigs would be hot but so far I'm good even in this heat. I've read about caps but that's just too much

Do you wet your hair every morning before you put on your wig cap? I use a mix of infusium 23 (original formula) and rose water. I massage my scalp once a week with JBCO after washing. My hair is always fine after I take down 8 weeks later.

Wetting it with a spray bottle is a good idea.

But I think I'm sticking to sew ins. The wig is nice to have for after I take the weave down I don't have to do it all at once. Take the hair down then wig it for a few days then take the braids down.

I have an appointment Saturday for cornrows to wig it for awhile but tonight I took down my braids finally and I have SO much growth. It looks back to where it was before my ear length bob and I'm so happy but kinda hating the duel textures because the NG is ridiculous and exhausting. I don't think I've ever had this much at one time. Natural is a never after tonight :nono:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang

Use should try the LOC method before braiding it up.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I am in the process of prepping my hair so I can install my crochet braids in the morning. See you ladies tomorrow.