Hidden damage

Spongebob

My hair in it's natural state looks extremely 'healthy', thick, full, moisterized. But apply some heat and it reveals to my suprise a lot of damage :sad: It feels rough, dry and quite damaged. Yet in it's natural state it feels and looks very healthy! Why is that?

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
What products do you use before straightening? Do you use a blowdryer?

Whenever I use a blowdryer, my hair is always a dry, crispety-crunchety mess.

JeterCrazed

Mine does the same thing. Once it's straightened I can see the lil white exploded cortexes at the ends of the strands. Wash it and I can't see it. That's why I started texlaxing. The problem is disappearing further and further down the strand.

Sent from my Inspire HD using LHCF

candy626

This happens to me when I use too much heat. My hair when it's curly looks like it's thick and volumnious (though it is truly fine). However, whenever I blow dry and flat iron my hair tends to look very thin, dry, and damaged looking. However, when I rollerset and lightly flat iron, it looks a lot healthier. I don't really notice split ends, and my ends feel smoother and moisturized.

So it could be your styling method.

GroovyMama

Last time I flat ironed my ends felt terrible. I ended up cutting 1/2-1 inch of my hair just because my ends felt weird. I don't know what I'm going to do next time I flat iron in December.

Ronnieaj

First, I NEVER use a blowdryer when straightening. Even when I was relaxed it was a mess, and it's worse now. Also, I realized that I can feel my SSKs far more when my hair is straightened, and it makes my hair feel coarser and drier than it actually is. As long as I keep up my moisture, particularly when I'm going to straighten, I tend to take that feeling with a grain of salt.

westNDNbeauty

What products do you use prior to blow dry? What products are you using during your blow dry? What products are you using after your blow dry? Do you follow your blow dry by flat ironing? How often are you using heat?

Honestly, a blow dryer does tend to suck the moisture from your hair. It's all in how you prepare your hair for that event and how you treat it after. I've been stretching with a blow dryer weekly. I always prepare with my most moisturizing condish and follow up by re-moisturizing my hair prior to styling.

Lylddlebit

Natural hair hides damage a lot better than straight hair. It could be your straightening process causing damage but a lot of times the ssk damage and splits that are hidden in natural hair don't have as much texture to hide within, when the hair is straight.

LaidBak

Mine does the same thing. Once it's straightened I can see the lil white exploded cortexes at the ends of the strands. Wash it and I can't see it. That's why I started texlaxing. The problem is disappearing further and further down the strand.

JeterCrazed What is this of which you speak? It sounds gross.

JeterCrazed

[USER=77239]LaidBak[/USER] said:
JeterCrazed What is this of which you speak? It sounds gross.

When hair gets stressed from heat, the layers weaken from the inside out and look like ...

The cortex...

has exploded and broken through the cuticle. That's what those little white dots are on your ends.

It's like a split end, but in the middle.

LaidBak

JeterCrazed said:
When hair gets stressed from heat, the layers weaken from the inside out and look like ...

The cortex...

has exploded and broken through the cuticle. That's what those little white dots are on your ends.

It's like a split end, but in the middle.

Interesting! I don't mean to hijak the thread but, you can see this with the naked eye? Or do you need a magnifying glass? I'm curious because I use heat just about every day. I'm gonna check for these things tomorrow.

JeterCrazed

[USER=77239]LaidBak[/USER] said:
Interesting! I don't mean to hijak the thread but, you can see this with the naked eye? Or do you need a magnifying glass? I'm curious because I use heat just about every day. I'm gonna check for these things tomorrow.

I don't think you're hijacking. I think this is what's happening to OPs hair.
I can see with the naked eye. It looks like a little white poodle on the strand. The hair will bend at that spot like this < instead of like this c.

Corrected: can't to can

Last edited:

LaidBak

SuchaLady said:
^^^ Heat every day? :blush:

Sadly yes, Just about every day. My hair is short and won't hold a curl from one day to the next. I have no idea how other women make a style last all week.

ETA: Oh, but I keep the flat iron at/under 300 degrees, and I only bump my ends or smooth out wrinkles in my wrap.

Last edited: