Henna

sweetascocoa

i want to dye my hair red. it'll come out burgundy cos i have brown hair. i want to use henna

1. where can i find a good/cheap brand
2. how do i use it
3. is it permanent or semi - permanent color?
4. is it damaging or conditioning?

Candy_C

henna is supposedly more permanent than permanent dye! because its natural people think its good to use on the hair, its actually meant 2 be quite drying, and locks out moisture. i'm sure (correct me if i'm wrong) that VWVIXXEN uses it on her hair?

Amina

I use Henna on my hair for two years...I am at work right now...I got it written down in a notebook in my dorm room. When I get to my dorm I will post how I use it.

It never dried out my hair. I guess depends on how henna is used and what is used to mix it.

As for being permanent, I am not soo sure b/c mine goes out after a few months of washing and I use the pure powdered henna.

Healthb4Length

There are a lot of pros and cons of using Henna. I think that you should use a quality brand henna to get good results. Most Henna sold in beauty supply stores are not pure and have heavy metals in them and can interrupt relaxer process and cause extreme dryness. I would suggest you use henna from www.Mehandi.com, they sell superior quality henna that is not drying and you will get very nice color results. If you check the site there is various instructions on how to mix up different colors and what results you should expect to get.

Amina

toosexy1 said:
yes, im looking into getting the powder one. what do you mix your with amina?

exact measurements it can vary.

This gives brown reddish colour.
Ingrediants:

1- 10 large spoons Henna.
2- Juice of one lemon.
3- 3 spoons vineger (apple or normal).
4- 2 spoons of Arab coffee.
5- A suitable amount of hot water (not very hot).

Mix all ingrediants together except lemon juice and leave them for 3 hours then add the lemon juice. Apply on hair for hour to 3 hours, depends on the level of the colour you want.

(I use Arab coffee (don't know the difference between the different type of coffee since I never drink coffee period) I am not sure how it will do with other type of coffee. The Arab coffee and Henna I get from friends who are Arabs. I am not sure what state you live in but if there are any Arab stores around they might carry Arab coffee.)

This will give the hair a lighter colour.
Ingrediants:

1- Half cup smooth red Henna.
2- One cup of warm tea not sweetened.
3-Half cup lemon juice.

First mix the Henna and tea togther, then add the lemon juice and mix again. Cover it and leave it for 2 hours. Your hair should washed well and no oil on it. Then apply the henna to the hair, dividing the hair into parts makes it easier, and make sure you apply it from the roots to the tips. After finishing cover the hair and leave it for 4 hours then wash.

To avoid dryness it is recommended that you use the natural conditioner of mixture eggs and plain yogurt (I sometimes add milk and honey, I have no particular measurement for the egg, yogurt, milk and honey, I just put/pour until I think I have enough of each) after washing henna off hair with water.

Please try a stain test before putting any henna on your hair (that is with any recipe you try).

Last edited:

sweetascocoa

thanks amina! i live in Georgia. ill try the 2nd one one first. also, where do you get your henna from?

Last edited:

Lucia

If you want a more reddish tone boil red zinger tea a potfull, then use the tea as your water for the henna mixture, BTW you better moisterize really good 1-2 weeks vefore you henna and after w. DC treats. hth

Last edited:

Lucia

Red Zinger @ any big grocery store, it's that same company that makes sleepytime and chamomile. hth

Last edited:

Amina

toosexy1 said:
thanks amina! i live in Georgia. ill try the 2nd one one first. also, where do you get your henna from?

Well, Since I live in Louisiana I get mine from my Somali friend who lives in Ohio. If you know someone who lives in large cities (Like Houston) they can probably get some from the store for you. I don't trust ordering it on-line unless I really know if it is pure or not. Usually you can find henna in stores that sell foreign goods (Arabs, Indians, etc.). Also you might want to try the local mosque. Ususally mosque sells products such as henna, rose water, and other things (that is if it does not go like hot cakes, the older ladies always get to the henna before the younger ones, just one day I will be the first to buy it, lol). Please don't forget to deep condition your hair as Lucia pointed out. It is the key having healthy "henna" hair.

Oh and I forgot to point out that you will be needing gloves b/c henna dyes the skin also (takes weeks for it to wash off, lol).

Last edited:

sweetascocoa

thanks amina. i already ordered it but ill still go to a grocery store owned by a mid eastern they have stuff like that there. i have a whole box of gloves especially for hair stuff. hehe. im a natural and i didnt want to color my hair with chemical colors

sweetascocoa

ladies guess what? my stupid a$$ mistankenly added like 2 teaspoons of awesome bathroom cleaner in my henna. i thought it was diluted ACV. should i do a strand test or toss it in the trash? im so darned stupid!! :(

Amina

toosexy1 said:
ladies guess what? my stupid a$$ mistankenly added like 2 teaspoons of awesome bathroom cleaner in my henna. i thought it was diluted ACV. should i do a strand test or toss it in the trash? im so darned stupid!! :(

Wait?!?! Are you serious? Bathroom cleaner? Ok...just to make sure exactly which recipe are you trying out :lol: ???

If it was me I would toss it out esp. since it got Bathroom cleaner in it. No telling how a natural plant would react to bathroom cleaner mixed into it esp. if you are going to put it in your hair.

Hmm, maybe someone else have a better idea as to what to do.

sweetascocoa

iono. i let it sit for 5 hours now and it looks like the dye has come out. ill do strand test before using it on my hair. i bought the henna for 11 dollars y'all. i thought the bathroom cleaner was diluted ACV before i actually smelled it :ohwell:

SignatureBeauty

I just purchased Henna from mountainroseherbs.com and they are affordable and the henna comes with instructions I have ordered from them for several years and the quality of service and their products is awesome, this is my first time using henna, My hair is black but it seems to be kind of off since I big chopped but I will post my results when I get it and apply it.

I know they say it has to sit on the hair for like 1-2hrs. and they said the color will last about 3 months, I paid like $4.75 for a 3oz. I think because I have a Twa, but the prices differ with size.

Good Luck!