Henna & Relaxers ?

Almondhoney

How soon after you henna can you use a relaxer, and
how soon after a relaxer can you henna??

I use a relaxer on a monthly basis *roots only*, and I want to colour using henna instead of reaching for chemical dyes.

Does any one know?
TIA
Almondhoney

G

Hi Almondhoney

I use hennalucent and the pamphlet says it can be used in conjunction with all chemical services since the product is a mild protein. The directions says: "To restore elastic body and shine to relaxed hair, follow immediately with a hennalucent conditioning treatment. Select shade and process 20-45 minutes depending on color intensity."

I use the neutral shade, but I've also used Gleaming Ebony and the color came out great. I can't vouch for any other color because the Gleaming Ebony was the only color that I used from the hennalucent line of colors. And some of the transitioners have used hennalucent to assist them with the transitioning process with great results.

Almondhoney

Thanks Seamist, but I don't think Hennalucent is 100% pure henna, or at least according to their ingredients list.

Anyone else use henna?

Almondhoney

hada

AlmondHoney,

it is best to use Hennalucent on Chemically treated hair. 100% henna may cause a disaster. Plus you relax the roots monthly. *Maybe* if you spread out the relaxers you *may* be able to use 100% (do a harvest test first). For the most part I would do Hennalucent, which is made for chemicaled hair.

hada

Almondhoney

The reason I asked was because I just hennaed (sp?)a couple of nights ago, and I was also due for another relaxer.
If I go longer than a month without a relaxer my hair dramatically shrinks and is unmanageable.

I'll try the relaxer in a couple of weeks as the henna had no ill effect on the hair that I relaxed last month. I guess I'll be my own guinea pig. So far so good, guess I'll keep my fingers crossed!!

Karonica: It will never lighten or lift colour, it can only add colour or condition only if you use neutral.

Thanks everybody for your input!

Almondhoney

NAPPtural

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Almondhoney said:
Thanks Seamist, but I don't think Hennalucent is 100% pure henna, or at least according to their ingredients list.

Anyone else use henna?

Almondhoney

[/ QUOTE ]

..YOU are so right. Hennalucent is NOT Henna at all.

The advice Hada gave you was GREAT!

~Napptural~
Henna Shadow

HennaJoy

Hi Almondhoney,

I would wait two weeks between the relaxer and hennaing treatments. And follow the henna treatment with a good moisturing cream, butter or oil. The issue you have to worry about is not the 100% natural henna powder. The disaster you can get with your perm will come in lots of assorted commercial hair care products. You want to take care with those other products you may use.

If you choose to use a lot of different products with lots of ingredients that you can't identify, with any hair treatments, I never think it is a good time to throw anything additional in the mix...including 100% natural henna.

If you happen to pick up some other conditioner or other product containing a metallic salt of some sort in it and use it with the henna, the problem you could get is strange hair coloring.

However, if you are committed to keeping your products few and will not be adding any other sort of hair coloring you will be alright with the 100% natural henna.

HennaJoy

Almondhoney

Hi Henna Joy,
I am actually on the CO routine and shea butter as a leave in. That's it, pretty basic isn't it? The henna is to keep me away from the chemical dyes so that my hair can grow past the 28" it's at now. The breakage I get at this length is pathetic. Probably due to highlighting a year ago. Hence the henna to cover every thing up! Worked like a charm.
I washed the henna out with tons of conditioner instead of shampoo as stated in the instructions. I hope I'm on the right track with this.

You all seem so knowledgeable about this subject. Henna is still very new to me, and your advice is very welcomed.

Almondhoney

nita4

Hennajoy, what is your take on this?

I was just reading about this last night on a pamphlet sent to me with my henna from Mountain Rose Herbs and they stated that you should at least wait 5 weeks before or after using a perm and that if you wanted to "remove" henna from your hair you should mineral oil.

HennaJoy

Hi Nita4,

What I think is that Mountain Rose may know something about their henna that makes them recommend this...Or that they just did a ballpark guesstimate. I would guess that is their guestimate. But since I don't know their product intimately, that is just my take on it. The key is to do a harvest hair test when ready to apply the henna or the perm and when ready to apply the henna again...etc., in order to know for sure. Testing is the best way to know exactly how your hair is going to act with any product or process at any particular point in time.

HennaJoy